Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New van - yay - insurance cost - ouch!

A reversing camera and dash cam being fitted can lower premiums.

Try Caravan Guard, £520 for my April 2023 California 4Motion.
Comfort insurance were also in the mid £500's
Thanks for the tip, we are collecting our brand new Ocean 4 Motion on Monday, most quotes around £1250, with 5000 miles maximum, spoke to Zuzanna at Caravan Guard, very knowledgeable, 9,000 miles with a tracker and approved steering wheel lock 'Stoplock Pro Elite Car Steering Wheel Lock HG 150-00 ', £47.99 on Amazon, total price for the year, £532.

Thanks for the tip, we are collecting our brand new Ocean 4 Motion on Monday, most quotes around £1250, with 5000 miles maximum, spoke to Zuzanna at Caravan Guard, very knowledgeable, 9,000 miles with a tracker and approved steering wheel lock 'Stoplock Pro Elite Car Steering Wheel Lock HG 150-00 ', £47.99 on Amazon, total price for the year, £532.
So total price for the year £1782.
Must either live in a high crime area, be under 25 yrs of age or a poor driving/ insurance record, compared with other Insurance quotes.

So total price for the year £1782.
Must either live in a high crime area, be under 25 yrs of age or a poor driving/ insurance record, compared with other Insurance quotes.
No, total price for the year £532 from Caravan guard, the £1250 were the other companies quotes that we were getting.

No, total price for the year £532 from Caravan guard, the £1250 were the other companies quotes that we were getting.
That's better.

Wow, what a variety here, very interesting! Admittedly I didn't see all the additional messages here before sorting ours, but ended up with Admiral for just under £800. I tried CAMC which came in around £1400, LV came around £1000 and NFU can in around £900.

Hi Andy, some of it may come down to where it is parked and how many miles.
iM classed as on road parking, 15,000 miles a year (as main vehicle) and I’m paying a similar amount sadly…..
Hi all,

I have read around a few threads on insurance. Most seem to favour LV which I've been looking at, but for our new van that we're picking up this coming Saturday (wahoo), the quote is coming in around £1000! This is quite a jump from what we pay for our car.

This will be our only vehicle for a while, perhaps that's adding to the cost. Is this typical, what are others experiences?

Thanks
Andy
Hi, Probably not what you want to hear but. My annual premium with Admiral Multi Car (I have 3 x vehicles) was £433.64 for a 2020 VW Cali. Coast. My annual mileage is 8,000. No convictions, no claims and parked up my drive in rural Dorset. Though I am 64. If I had to pay £1,000 per annum to insure a VW Cali. I'd probably sell it
Finally, there is a benefit to being in your sixties!
My tip would be, to keep shopping around and play one insurer off against another.

Glad you got sorted. Mine is 12,000 miles and did nor require a tracker just the Thatcham 1 which is already on the California Ocean.

We with Admiral multi car - purchased a 6mth/23 plate Ocean and added to policy for under 500 fully comp.

i went with Safeguard in the end, slightly more than LV but the £3k contents vs £500 swung it for me, i did take a policy with the Caravan and Motorhome Club, however they made me cancel it, as i used a competitor quote to get the best price which they wouldn't honour (even though the system let me do it) - despite explaining i didn't have a renewal as its for a new van, they wouldn't have it, wanted another £250 off me, told them to shove it... won't be joining the Caravan and Motorhome Club either :mad:

We with Admiral multi car - purchased a 6mth/23 plate Ocean and added to policy for under 500 fully comp.
I've got Admiral multi car, when I asked for a quote on my 23 Ocean, they couldn't find it on their system. Referred it to the underwriters and came back and said they wouldn't insure that sort of vehicle. How odd????

Picking my Cali up next week. My insurance quotes varied enormously. I found Comfort the most competitive. It’s a job to know what mileage you will do as a first timer, I opted for 10k which can be adjusted if you do more.

Hi all,

I have read around a few threads on insurance. Most seem to favour LV which I've been looking at, but for our new van that we're picking up this coming Saturday (wahoo), the quote is coming in around £1000! This is quite a jump from what we pay for our car.

This will be our only vehicle for a while, perhaps that's adding to the cost. Is this typical, what are others experiences?

Thanks
Andy
I'm grateful that you asked this question and for all who replied. Have read with interest. We've had our ocean since 2018. Went to safeguard because our usual broker doesn't do campervans. Now we have just had quote from broker for our nissan leaf of 1.5k. Triple last year's. I had not thought of getting multicar policy. Van soon up for insuring so i will now do research. This forum so useful.thanks all.

I use these guys so that I know all the interior stuff is fully covered too. Plus they've been good on price, with our admittedly low annual mileage.

Try Caravan Guard, £520 for my April 2023 California 4Motion.
Comfort insurance were also in the mid £500's
Just renewed with Caravan Guard today; 2022 Ocean, £68k valuation, 8k miles, £100 voluntary excess, max NCD fully protected, full EU cover including breakdown, and all the usual trimmings = £520. Actually £8 cheaper than last year...no, I can't fathom that either.

Closest alternative quote was £700+ (LV, Safeguard).

Only potential omission is parking up at the airport when flying; apparently the van isn't insured unless the insurer is notified and accepts the risk, possibly with an additional premium. This is a new one on me, but I was assured it is standard practice, just rarely tested by a claim.

All these quotes seem cheap to me, living in Naples, Italy (military posting) we are paying £1600 TPFT, FC Quote (only got 1 as most refused it) was nearly £5k on a 2022 cali Ocean 204 4m valued at €83k.

All these quotes seem cheap to me, living in Naples, Italy (military posting) we are paying £1600 TPFT, FC Quote (only got 1 as most refused it) was nearly £5k on a 2022 cali Ocean 204 4m valued at €83k.
The 850 Euro I pay in Germany fully comp seems a proper deal in comparison.

Quite often TPF & T is more expensive than fully comp.

Wouldn’t touch Admiral now with a barge pole.
Actual crooks, wouldn’t pay out in my nieces Corsa night time raid of her front bumper, bonnet and wings.
All because the front of the car was pointed at the road. Live in Sutton Coldfield, 950k house.
What a joke.
I’ve gone with NFU for house and contents this year. Excellent bed side manner.
Really clear and considerate and hear amazing reports on successful claims.
Comfort insurance really reccomended on here for Cali.
Surprisingly great insurance for wife’s Evoque.
I used to go LV, admiral and Churchill, but feel they will give the most grief when attempting a claim.
You pays your money, and takes your choices.

Wouldn’t touch Admiral now with a barge pole.
Actual crooks, wouldn’t pay out in my nieces Corsa night time raid of her front bumper, bonnet and wings.
All because the front of the car was pointed at the road. Live in Sutton Coldfield, 950k house.
What a joke.
I’ve gone with NFU for house and contents this year. Excellent bed side manner.
Really clear and considerate and hear amazing reports on successful claims.
Comfort insurance really reccomended on here for Cali.
Surprisingly great insurance for wife’s Evoque.
I used to go LV, admiral and Churchill, but feel they will give the most grief when attempting a claim.
You pays your money, and takes your choices.

We had a claim with admiral with our Beach and had excellent service when someone drove into the back of us; Van was collected & fixed very quickly and no loss of NCB.

Did your niece declare the Corsa as parked on the road or driveway when she took the insurance out?

We recently purchased a Club Joker -. NFU wanted £1650 (!), Ripe £350 (no commuting), fixed with Aviva (incl commuting + UK/Eur breakdown & pothole damage cover) via Howden broker for £580. No tracker required.

We had a claim with admiral with our Beach and had excellent service when someone drove into the back of us; Van was collected & fixed very quickly and no loss of NCB.

Did your niece declare the Corsa as parked on the road or driveway when she took the insurance out?

We recently purchased a Club Joker -. NFU wanted £1650 (!), Ripe £350 (no commuting), fixed with Aviva (incl commuting + UK/Eur breakdown & pothole damage cover) via Howden broker for £580. No tracker required.
I had LV fix the rear of my tailgate on ocean £3k and I had listers VW Coventry Bodyshop do it.
Great, and no extra to pay because I wanted an approved VW dealer to do it.
I know Admiral will use “approved parts” but not a VW garage to do the work.

She declared she drives to and from a single place of work. Teacher.
Declared Parked on the road as usually the driveway is full.
So the one time she parks on drive, and admiral said they have no proof where it was parked when it was done.
Bit of a joke company.
So they wrote it off and gave her £1k
To try and find similar car of £2k.
Bank of M&D luckily.

I’ll stick with LV, Comfort, CAMC, NFU, and just ring them and get the best one from them all.
The cheaper versions online don’t swing my boat, anymore, now I have funds to allow to pay more to insure my risk.

I had LV fix the rear of my tailgate on ocean £3k and I had listers VW Coventry Bodyshop do it.
Great, and no extra to pay because I wanted an approved VW dealer to do it.
I know Admiral will use “approved parts” but not a VW garage to do the work.

She declared she drives to and from a single place of work. Teacher.
Declared Parked on the road as usually the driveway is full.
So the one time she parks on drive, and admiral said they have no proof where it was parked when it was done.
Bit of a joke company.
So they wrote it off and gave her £1k
To try and find similar car of £2k.
Bank of M&D luckily.

I’ll stick with LV, Comfort, CAMC, NFU, and just ring them and get the best one from them all.
The cheaper versions online don’t swing my boat, anymore, now I have funds to allow to pay more to insure my risk.

Our Beach was repaired by AD Williams Crawley who are VW approved. Via admiral.

Our Beach was repaired by AD Williams Crawley who are VW approved. Via admiral.
That’s really good, it’s nice to have a VW repair, then no issues later down the line with 10 or 12 ? Year perforation warranty :thumb