Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New van - yay - insurance cost - ouch!

My best quote was, “just camper insurance”.asked at local vw group, they said try them . After hours phoning lots of companies they came out best for me.

Yeah did your car cost £75k ?

I got mine down to cheaper than what I pay for a Tesla. And then bumped it higher again by lowering it
I got quoted another £225 on top if i was to lower my van and £190 if i wanted to protect my no claims.

Thanks all, these are all helpful comments. Think I'll give LV a call tomorrow to see if they can quote me better. LV seems popular here so may just bite the bullet on the assumption people have had a good experience with them.

Safeguard are worth a try too.
£80k joker cost me £450 no tracker that was back in 2022 so I know prices have shot up.
Really worth the time to get lots of quotes my jimny ranged from £380-over £1000!!!!

My gosh I dread to think what our renewal will be this year after reading all of these! Our Beach was £379 June last year with LV!

Going through this just now. Full NCD. My 2021 Premium on a brand new Cali Ocean was £446 with LV. I switched to Admiral the next year because LV wouldn't quote me at all (no accidents or anything, thought they maybe were not covering campers at the time for whatever reason).

With Admiral multicover this year the Cali quote is £640, but the home insurance part has soared and is now £200 more than the cheapest alternative. However they are so competitive on the Cali quote that I'll probably stay put.

For comparison the next cheapest quote I could find on comparison sites (for the van alone) was ~£1100. LV wanted ~£1700!!!

Ouch, that's crazy. What's been the trigger for these prices going up so much? Also, out of interest if anyone is happy to share, what's a typical voluntary and compulsory excess you're finding within these quotes?

Ouch, that's crazy. What's been the trigger for these prices going up so much? Also, out of interest if anyone is happy to share, what's a typical voluntary and compulsory excess you're finding within these quotes?
Compulsory £300 / Voluntary £250. LV would have been roughly the same as I usually opt for the same level of Voluntary when getting quotes.

Wow Admiral just came in £300 cheaper, that's quite a difference.

Wow Admiral just came in £300 cheaper, that's quite a difference.
Glad to hear it. I was always wary of insurance companies who opted out of price comparison sites (i.e They must be expensive which is why they opt out), but my experience the last few years has changed my mind.

Having been through the absolute nightmare of making a claim on home insurance with LV years ago (next door shared chimney fire started by the neighbour). In which the neighbours insurer (NFU) immediately paid out, and mine dragged me through the mud for months refusing to pay out changed my mind on the relative qualities of various insurers. Some are worth paying more for certainly.

In my case the handler at LV called the builder who NFU had sent to inspect the situation. In this call the handler pretended _to be me_ (by name) in an attempt to get him to admit that the cause was a maintenance issue (not sweeping the chimney) and on that basis refused the claim. Aside from the fact that what they were saying was false (my chimney was maintained, there's possibly wasn't) the fraudulent misrepresentation opened my eyes to how low they will go to avoid paying out.

Thankfully everything was recorded and they eventually backed down. Didn't have the energy to take it further but the outrage persists (evidently).

Although if LV had came in at £300 for then van I'd probably have gone with them. At the end of the day I'm tight.

I went with NFU, who are hardly mentioned on here. Cheapest price, no tracker required and only £100 compulsory excess. No online quotes so you need to contact them by phone to finalise the quote

Going through this just now. Full NCD. My 2021 Premium on a brand new Cali Ocean was £446 with LV. I switched to Admiral the next year because LV wouldn't quote me at all (no accidents or anything, thought they maybe were not covering campers at the time for whatever reason).

With Admiral multicover this year the Cali quote is £640, but the home insurance part has soared and is now £200 more than the cheapest alternative. However they are so competitive on the Cali quote that I'll probably stay put.

For comparison the next cheapest quote I could find on comparison sites (for the van alone) was ~£1100. LV wanted ~£1700!!!
Cheaper to get fined for having no insurance. £880 fine (+costs and victim surcharge)

I went with NFU, who are hardly mentioned on here. Cheapest price, no tracker required and only £100 compulsory excess. No online quotes so you need to contact them by phone to finalise the quote
Me too.

Try Caravan Guard, £520 for my April 2023 California 4Motion.
Comfort insurance were also in the mid £500's

Last October mine cost £310 with CAMC. 6k miles including commuting

Tried the LV and a few other recommendations, by a long way the NFU were the cheapest I don’t know why, giving them all the same info. Literally hundreds of pounds cheaper. On a new cali it seems if you break the £75k figure you’re penalised and you need a tracker. The difference in quotes is bizarre.

We pay around £1,000 in total for 3 vehicles with Admiral. Cali beach (2012), Skoda Superb (2022), VW Polo (2014)
I think they're all around 10,000 miles per year and I thought that was enough.........

Ours is our only vehicle, 15000 miles per year, kept on out drive, just renewed with comfort insurance campervan policy, no tracker required for £390 fully comp.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I have read around a few threads on insurance. Most seem to favour LV which I've been looking at, but for our new van that we're picking up this coming Saturday (wahoo), the quote is coming in around £1000! This is quite a jump from what we pay for our car.

This will be our only vehicle for a while, perhaps that's adding to the cost. Is this typical, what are others experiences?

Thanks
Andy
Hi Andy
We’ve just bought a two year old California and insured it through Aviva via a broker Howdens. 01993894730. Oliver Hail was the chap. It’s only insured for social domestic and pleasure with a 10000 mile a year cap. Cost us £630.00 fully comp with myself and the Mrs as drivers. Hope this helps
Regards
Steve

Try NFU - less than £750 (an increase of about £100 on last year) for my Cali value £76k kept on drive plus included in this price is cover for my VW Touran which I use as a daily runaround. Tracker not obligatory.

I put our new Cali on the LV multi-car policy and took another car off and to my amazement got £4.16 refund :shocked
As this was a good way through the policy period I looked at what the 12 month price would be and I think it was £288. I really don’t know how they work out some of these insurance prices.

What is your evidence for that please? (And I don't mean the blather than insurance brokers put on their websites, and/or in the tabloids, which includes a whole bunch of tosh). Insurers can only decline to pay out in cases of deliberate misrepresentation by the policyholder.

It's sufficient to give a reasonable estimation of annual mileage when you take out the policy. You don't need to 'pad' the estimate to cover all conceivable eventualities. If you find you are going way beyond your initial estimate during the year, you can then just let the insurer know at that point.
My policy (Comfort) specifically states the increased excess I will pay if I exceed the agreed mileage.

Hi all,

I have read around a few threads on insurance. Most seem to favour LV which I've been looking at, but for our new van that we're picking up this coming Saturday (wahoo), the quote is coming in around £1000! This is quite a jump from what we pay for our car.

This will be our only vehicle for a while, perhaps that's adding to the cost. Is this typical, what are others experiences?

Thanks
Andy
Bought a new Ocean in February. Was paying £250 on previous car valued at £3500 and 8k miles/year. £386 for the Cali with 6k miles with Comfort. I do have a motorbike as a 2nd vehicle which might bring it down a bit.

Hi all,

Thanks
Andy
We picked up our brand new California last week. I insured it with my current insurer, LV on a multivehicle policy ( 2 ) for £270 for a 10 month period to sync with my current vehicle. I was quoted £770 for VW.

Hi all,

Thanks
Andy
Hello Andy, I’ve just insured our 2017 California Ocean valued at £45k with Ripe Insurance fully Comprehensive for £200.
Try them.