Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie from Aberdeen, Scotland - Looking to Buy a New Camper

S

Scott Hastie

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello All,

Thought I'd just drop in here and say hi.

Currently looking into buying a new camper, whether it be a Cali, or something like a bilbo conversion, however they are just as expensive. Weighing up the pro's and cons at the moment.

I do love the look and the authenticity of the cali, however the only issue I have is that the interior finish, colour, and layout of the interior of the van don't seem to be very customisable.

so for example the interior seat cover options all seem to have the moonlight grey colour, which looks quite light and I worry will mark too easily over time, there's no options for colour of the units, and no options for the layout of the units / facilities, or the wall colours etc.

Or maybe you can and I've just not noticed, hopefully some of you cali experts can enlighten me.

Be gentle with me! ;-)

Scott

Welcome. You are absolutely correct in your observations, but remember what you get. A total vehicle made by VW, not a conversion, with a full 3 year warranty on everything by VW. Often with conversions this is not the case.
Also, parts etc: are readily available from VW for the whole vehicle including the "camper" bit.
You can get coloured covers for the work tops, seat covers from many manufacturers in a wide range of colours and materials. People have even had the kitchen units "wrapped" to get the custom colour/design they want. Owners have been very inventive in making the vehicle their own.

Hi Scott, been there, pondered it, investigated, come close etc. There are so many converters out there now and so many self-conversions but at the end of the day if you're interested in residuals and re-sale etc then it comes down to three recognised and respected converters - VW Cali, Westfalia and Bilbos. I spent a couple of hours with Bilbos a few weeks back and really like their quality, choice and (unlike many) the design of the side folding roof. Westfalia are legendary and build quality second to none but rare and not sure what they do on the T6.

But two huge advantages of the Cali - firstly residuals; only limited edition supercars come close to the crazy way these things hold their value and secondly the sliding seat system; this alone for me makes it twice the vehicle it would be without this, the versatility it provides is truly brilliant.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello Scott.

We just picked up s new T6 California and the first thing we did was fit Brandrup seat covers that I bought second hand on eBay. They are authentic VW fabric and so far no one can believe that they are seat covers as they match the interior and trim so well. If the children make a mess we can just wash them! We are also contemplating a over mat set so the front light grey carpet is also kept in pristine condition. I love the colour and trim but appreciate the risk of marks hence fitting nice authentic covers.

Like wise on eBay you can find frosted protectors for the work surfaces and of course you can add personal touches to the vehicle to make it suit your tastes. Just like the old T1 and T2 campers. See the photos below if the original seats and my covers and tell me if you don't think it looks like original spec.

Good luck with your future Cali

Thanks!
And yes I totally agree to having the complete VW vehicle, I have 2 VW's, a mk66 golf R, and mk6 GT TDI, and very strict on keeping the cars to their original spec, repairing with VW parts etc, but with the California it's niggly things that are swaying me away from it. The light colour interior, seat backs and floor, I worry how easily they'll mark. And also those runners on the floor, getting filled with dirt and crap, the fact that the unit top is all glass, the top loading cool / warm box, Is hooked up to electric? Or just simply a cool box you have to put ice packs in?

Have looked at the likes of Bilbo conversions and says they are an approved VW converter, plus with more colour, layout and appliance options

Just don't know what to do! haha! :headbang

I also agree with Max-Felix. The sliding seat in the rear is brilliant. And you can add an extra seat as well on the rail system. If you want a big boot and less space in the cabin just slide the seat forward. If you want cabin space and less boot slide it back. We looked at conversions but didn't like the fixed seating and non automotive quality fittings and safety that VW provide. For instance the gas bottle in the California is housed in a recess in the fresh water tank with a sealed lid and a gas escape port at the bottom to keep the gas bottle cool and safe and if there was a leak the heavy gas would drop to the escape port and out of the cabin. It's been DESIGNED! The conversion we looked at had a gas bottle secured with a bungee. That and the superb residuals made the (initially expensive) decision easy for us. We know in the long term the overall running/ownership cost is actually lower than you might think!

The cool box runs off the leisure batteries and keeps your food cool. Like a fridge. No ice packs are required. As I said if you like it authentic like I do then buy the light grey carpet sets and light grey seat covers. That way it won't look like you've added black aftermarket covers and mats. If you want to customise it a bit add some colour. Nice thing is you can change it whenever you want!

Hi and welcome .
Seems to me you are not that well informed on the Cali specs . Not that i blame you , thats why you come to question here ofcoarse;)
Go and check out one in the showroom and ask a testdrive...
You will be ordering one :thumb

The electric roof, easy to make bed, great upper bed, good residual values and just the sheer style of the Cali is what swayed me! There are hundreds of converters out there but having had a brand new, expensive and very problematic Renault long wheelbase conversion in the past I wanted something with a warranty that actually meant something! You can take the Cali into any VW van dealer and get the problems resolved.
Glass work tops can be covered with the stainless steel toppers sold in the shop, seats can be covered with loads of snazzy fabrics (see jackyards in the VIP section). Plus the roof folds flush so height barrier friendly....the list goes on. Each to their own though...

In addition to the points above, if you buy a conversion you will have to find somewhere to store your folding chairs and outside table. These are stored inside the tailgate and sliding door respectively, no other camper has this. The fridge is excellent and uses very little power from the leisure batteries. Also, with a California, you are not buying a commercial vehicle, it's based on the Caravelle with additional soundproofing and door seals.

While the upholstery does appear as though it will stain easily, in reality we have always found that any marks are easily cleaned off.

Have fun choosing! :thumb

Hiya, there are a couple of owners of T6's here in Aberdeen with very different specs and very different experiences of dealers - so feel free to ask around and maybe have a look at a couple of vehicles nearby before making a decision.

Hiya, there are a couple of owners of T6's here in Aberdeen with very different specs and very different experiences of dealers - so feel free to ask around and maybe have a look at a couple of vehicles nearby before making a decision.

Only VW van dealer I know of in Abz is Clark Commercials in Dyce, so was going to try there and see if they have a demo I can go look at.

Af anyone else knows of a cali dealer in Aberdeen, feel free to post here and I'll give them a look

Only VW van dealer I know of in Abz is Clark Commercials in Dyce, so was going to try there and see if they have a demo I can go look at.

Af anyone else knows of a cali dealer in Aberdeen, feel free to post here and I'll give them a look
Clark Commercials in Dyce usually have a couple of Demo's available. You can also rent them if you want to test out. There isn't another dealer in the north east of Scotland.
Have a look on the dealer review pages before your order...
You may also want to consider a trip to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Clark Commercials in Dyce usually have a couple of Demo's available. You can also rent them if you want to test out. There isn't another dealer in the north east of Scotland.

Thanks. I work in Holland Mon-Fri so Aberdoom at the weekend is really my only option to go and view one.

Told the girlfriend I want to go tomorrow to view but she say's we are too busy! :sorry

Hi there and welcome. Would highly recommend that you consider the Edinburgh Van Centre and speak to David Miller there. Have just recently bought an Ocean from him. He is an excellent salesman. Regards Norm.:thumb

I would give Glasgow a miss, from a personal point, they were going to sell is a van with no aircon when we were thinking of going down the convertion route.
Edinburgh have a new Cali section at Bilston ask for David Millar he knows the vans inside out.

I'm sure only highlines have aircon as standard. To be honest that's your personal preference too, dunno why it would warrant a dodge?
You would be better saying avoid the Timbuktu branch as the coffee machine is rubbish.

Last edited:
I'm sure only highlines have aircon as standard. To be honest that's your personal preference too, dunno why it would warrant a dodge?
As I stated "personal point" It warrants a dodge due to them NOT informing me that the van did not have aircon after I was originally told it did, payed a deposit and then waited over 2 months as they dragging there heels for 2 months

As I stated "personal point" It warrants a dodge due to them NOT informing me that the van did not have aircon after I was originally told it did, payed a deposit and then waited over 2 months as they dragged their heel to give me my deposit back.

As I stated "personal point" It warrants a dodge due to them NOT informing me that the van did not have aircon after I was originally told it did, payed a deposit and then waited over 2 months as they dragging there heels for 2 months
That's different, bit your off the cuff remark had no substance. If aircon was important, didn't you ask?
Again in the case I would avoid SalesPerson 17 and ask for number 6 and post in the dealer review section.

I'm only passing on my personal view of them.
There are good/bad salesman out there if I can save someone else the same grief I went through us
That's different, bit your off the cuff remark had no substance. If aircon was important, didn't you ask?
Again in the case I would avoid SalesPerson 17 and ask for number 6 and post in the dealer review section.

Sorry if I was unclear with my opening comments.
But I did ask for a van with A/C.
I was eventually having to deal with a salesman and one of their sales managers to get my money back.
It's a big investment which ever way you go (Cali/Convertion) and getting the right base van is important.
We felt that the way we were past from pillar to post took some of the shine away from our campervan dream.

But at the end of the day "I personally" won't be entertaining their forecourt anytime soon.

Hi I have a 2014 in Fraserburgh and added a Lakeland mat, Home Bargains non-slip worktop protectors, total £30 but then I blew a few hundred on Brandrup second skin seat covers, totally worth it though.. I've been OCD about making most things in van dual purpose eg cooler/picnic bag in LH cupboard holds all dishes and cutlery rattle free so just take into van, outside or off site etc... cutlery tray freed for chargers, bottle opener etc A store room in house holds extra kit and (as most do) we just take what we need for bike or hill weekends, France trip etc... If you want to have a look at the possibilities before you decide let me know as just an hour away for you ...

Thanks guys, for all your comments and the warm welcome.

Have swayed even more towards the Cali so much so that I'm not really investigating any conversion options at the moment. Hoping to get to Clark Commercials in Aberdoom on Saturday to get a look at one and test drive.