Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No longer a camping virgin

Richard Hurst

Richard Hurst

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
well we broke our camping virginity. Had the Ocean for 4 weeks and we have just come back from our first trip as a family in it. Stayed at Ferry Meadows near Peterborough. Main point of the trip was to try putting up the drive away awning for the first time. Stress levels couldn’t of been higher as before I tackled that the wife wanted me to put up one of those toilet tents for night time use. 10 minutes in and a pole popped from its joint under pressure from me and smacked me full whack in the forehead. Blood everywhere!

Once I cleaned up the awning went up in about 1.5 hours and we had a great weekend, despite the rain. Obviously it didn’t pack down the way it did originally but need to get it out again to dry off. Have realised though for weekends away it’s too much hassle, will use it on proper holidays though.

All in all a good trip and the Cali worked flawlessly. Planning the next trip now.
5B6408A5-C372-495E-8467-1F7BA0950AB5.jpeg

Looks like a very nice camping set up - well done

well we broke our camping virginity. Had the Ocean for 4 weeks and we have just come back from our first trip as a family in it. Stayed at Ferry Meadows near Peterborough. Main point of the trip was to try putting up the drive away awning for the first time. Stress levels couldn’t of been higher as before I tackled that the wife wanted me to put up one of those toilet tents for night time use. 10 minutes in and a pole popped from its joint under pressure from me and smacked me full whack in the forehead. Blood everywhere!

Once I cleaned up the awning went up in about 1.5 hours and we had a great weekend, despite the rain. Obviously it didn’t pack down the way it did originally but need to get it out again to dry off. Have realised though for weekends away it’s too much hassle, will use it on proper holidays though.

All in all a good trip and the Cali worked flawlessly. Planning the next trip now.
View attachment 37169
The first time always takes ages, I have an outwell paradise (little bit smaller has poles) only takes only 10/15mins now. Your have that up in half the time on your next outing!

Well stocked 1st aid kit always a must... :thumb
My cali had a first aid kit in the rear compartment from new, I think it is even a legal requirement in some EU countries however I don't think it would be very useful for a head wound. :)

If it is any consolation to the OP I too have a head scar from one of my earliest campervan experiences. ;) A right of passage perhaps? ;)

Haha I totally believe yours is suitable, the VW included one not so much maybe good enough for this emoji :mute

:D