Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No more camping for us!

Steve Gardner

Steve Gardner

Stevie G
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
73D8E63C-C9E6-4638-B2BF-6DB349B8A8FC.jpeg After over 30 years of making do under canvas, we have just returned from our first weekend away at Chertsey C&CC site in our new Cali. First ordered in March 2017, it finally arrived at the end of March after getting caught up in the emissions problem - was it worth the wait? Hell yes!!
What a luxury to just pull up, open the door, and put the kettle on and watch others spend hours getting hot and bothered putting their tents up while trying to control their kids!
I’ve got to say that the months of researching California life on the site and forums was well worth it and it all went pretty smoothly.
Here are some learns:
Sleeping downstairs definitely suited us better. Being of a certain age, required trips to you know where in the middle of the night proved a bit of a challenge - and the downstairs bed was so much more comfortable anyway.
The Outwell Milestone Pace air awning was fantastic.... so easy to assemble and take down - and I would recommend purchasing a 12v air pump, which fully inflated it in less than 5 minutes.
The bellows bungee worked really well and for £9.99 why wouldn’t anybody fit this....or perhaps the question should be, why doesn’t VW fit one as standard?
The fly window attachments proved impossible to fit, and not sure whether I will bother as I don’t want them in permanently.
And the locks of the wind out awning also proved too difficult for me! I was in danger of breaking them, which would have spoilt the whole weekend, so decided again not to bother.
So all in all we are delighted to have joined the California club, and we are just in the throws of planning our first tour of the South West......but in the meantime I am just going down to American golf to spend my £250 of gift vouchers from VW as compensation for the emissions delay. Happy days.

Great to hear Steve.

We don't use an awning ourselves, but I must say if I was going to it would have to be something like that, that can be put up very quickly. Otherwise for us it would kind of defeat the point of a campervan.

The leg locks of the wind-out can be confusing. The thing to know is that the grey plastic locking clips work by hinging them upwards, but when fully tight they still stick out at an angle, they don't go flush with the pole. Provided they've stopped the legs from sliding, they're done.

Yes re the awning leg support locks; seemed almost impossible to close, in fear of breaking the plastic clip - but having used these a couple of times now much easier to close and lock the legs - seems just that first time use!!

Think you have the title wrong ....it still is camping ...and called a campervan .
For sure if you put an drive-away awning up next to it .

As long as you are enjoying you may call it whatever i suppose?
;)

Welcome Steve
Nice report of your learning process! Thanks for sharing!
Happy planning!

Welcome Steve, :welcome

We must have an extra hard downstairs mattress downstairs, the upstairs one is comfier in ours!

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

And totally agree regarding the downstairs bed. The Awning leg clips are stiff at first and do not close flush.

I’m confused...
I swear I can see a picture of a tent

Looking great Steve - is that awning easy to put up on your own or is it a 2 person job ?

Looking great Steve - is that awning easy to put up on your own or is it a 2 person job ?
Hi Jim - the awning really is amazing. Just plug in, sit down and wait a couple of minutes and then just peg out the guy ropes. Simple as that and easily just a one person job. Taking down is even easier, just press the valve and boom....it is down in a nano second!

Many thanks for the welcome responses and advice re the awning legs....that’s what I think the forums are for.... sharing experiences, seeking help and offering advice. Shame about people getting caught up whether this is camping or not, but each to their own I guess!

Thanks for your post. I'm with you... difference with a drive away awning is you can choose when/whether or not to put it up.... camping with a tent there is no choice! We like our bungee too. Also don't use the fly screens. We prefer the brandrup air-safe for ventilation (we use this in winter too) and then have a max-camp mosquito net for the sliding door so can leave that open if we want (not usually at night but in the warmer evenings).

Thanks Emma - just looking at the air-safe and mosquito net in the shop!
Oh, and a squirt of WD40 and leaving for 5 minutes, sorted out the awning leg problem.
Happy days.

View attachment 33430
The fly window attachments proved impossible to fit, and not sure whether I will bother as I don’t want them in permanently.
I always struggled to fit them on my first Beach, due to the kitchen pod meaning I had to fit them from the outside. On my new Beach with a sliding window on the drivers side I learnt they should be fitted from the inside; goes in much easier.

They don't stay in permanently. I wouldn't be without them as they keep the Sand Flies out really well.

Andy

View attachment 33430 After over 30 years of making do under canvas, we have just returned from our first weekend away at Chertsey C&CC site in our new Cali. First ordered in March 2017, it finally arrived at the end of March after getting caught up in the emissions problem - was it worth the wait? Hell yes!!
What a luxury to just pull up, open the door, and put the kettle on and watch others spend hours getting hot and bothered putting their tents up while trying to control their kids!
I’ve got to say that the months of researching California life on the site and forums was well worth it and it all went pretty smoothly.
Here are some learns:
Sleeping downstairs definitely suited us better. Being of a certain age, required trips to you know where in the middle of the night proved a bit of a challenge - and the downstairs bed was so much more comfortable anyway.
The Outwell Milestone Pace air awning was fantastic....

Do you have any experience of fitting four people inside the awning with the cali table and chairs? Looking for something neat for our family of four. You think it would be doable?

Our current setup is lightweight and compact but my better half (carvan history) says we need an awning "so we can get out more often", haha. I love Cali life so who am I to argue.

sH91Rkb.jpg

TnAhhy5.jpg

Do you have any experience of fitting four people inside the awning with the cali table and chairs? Looking for something neat for our family of four. You think it would be doable?

Our current setup is lightweight and compact but my better half (carvan history) says we need an awning "so we can get out more often", haha. I love Cali life so who am I to argue.

sH91Rkb.jpg

TnAhhy5.jpg

Many apologies for not replying sooner. Yes, we have had the whole family visit on a number of occasions and the awning is plenty big enough for at least 2 additional chairs and the supplied VW chairs and table. Hope this helps.