Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No power in camper section?

D

dieseldesmond

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Had total shutdown of the camper section of 2020 california coast details no fridge, no heat, no lights, no water pump, tried to find fault using the latest vcds software but to no avail. I think vw have control of this part of the software by way of a firewall so I had a go myself, no1 checked all fuses under the bonnet with my multimeter all good, no2 checked all under dash near steering column right hand drive all good, no 3 removed passenger seat to check all fuses no luck all good, next I noticed a black heavy-duty single contact relay or isolator with heavy-duty red battery feed going into to the unit it was live, but the same heavy cable coming out of the relay to supply the camper section of the california was dead , problem solved, Please note all the electrics for the camper section on this california came from one 12 volt leisure battery under the passenger seat, hope this might help someone. A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS DANGEROUS BE CAREFUL

Had total shutdown of the camper section of 2020 california coast details no fridge, no heat, no lights, no water pump, tried to find fault using the latest vcds software but to no avail. I think vw have control of this part of the software by way of a firewall so I had a go myself, no1 checked all fuses under the bonnet with my multimeter all good, no2 checked all under dash near steering column right hand drive all good, no 3 removed passenger seat to check all fuses no luck all good, next I noticed a black heavy-duty single contact relay or isolator with heavy-duty red battery feed going into to the unit it was live, but the same heavy cable coming out of the relay to supply the camper section of the california was dead , problem solved, Please note all the electrics for the camper section on this california came from one 12 volt leisure battery under the passenger seat, hope this might help someone. A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS DANGEROUS BE CAREFUL
Slightly incorrect. The camper electrics are supplied by 2 Leisure Batteries wired in parallel. One under the Passenger seat, RHD, and one in the base of the rear wardrobe accessed via the flap in the L side of the boot.
The relay you mentioned is probably the Split Charge relay. Both sides should be energised as one side connected to the front Leisure Battery ( via 80 amp fuse ) and other side to Engine Battery ( via 100 amp ) fuse. Both are connected when engine running.

Slightly incorrect. The camper electrics are supplied by 2 Leisure Batteries wired in parallel. One under the Passenger seat, RHD, and one in the base of the rear wardrobe accessed via the flap in the L side of the boot.
The relay you mentioned is probably the Split Charge relay. Both sides should be energised as one side connected to the front Leisure Battery ( via 80 amp fuse ) and other side to Engine Battery ( via 100 amp ) fuse. Both are connected when engine running.
Synopsis of the relay sounds right. @dieseldesmond - this relay is used to connect the leisure and camper battery/s together so they can all be charged while running by the alternator. When the ignition is not on the side coming out from the relay from starter to leisures will be dead, by design. Because the relay has not switched.

You say problem solved - how? It’s faily std on all Calis that all electrics in front of the driver seat are starter and all behind are leisures. Not the famous cube fuse that’s the issue?

Please note all the electrics for the camper section on this california came from one 12 volt leisure battery under the passenger seat
50% correct
control of this part of the software by way of a firewall
J608 is addressable on my van.
to supply the camper section of the california was dead , problem solved
It sounds like you've 'solved' your problem by bridging the split charge relay. I suspect it will not be 'solved' for long.

Suggestion: obtain the camping equipment electrical diagram from ERWIN or the resources section of this site.

50% correct

J608 is addressable on my van.

It sounds like you've 'solved' your problem by bridging the split charge relay. I suspect it will not be 'solved' for long.

Suggestion: obtain the camping equipment electrical diagram from ERWIN or the resources section of this site.
If "bridged" incorrectly all the OP is basically doing is using the starter to power the back via the leisures. The starter will be dead pretty quick and not do it's actual job - start.

Last edited:
If "bridged" incorrectly all the OP is basically doing is using the starter to power the back via the leisures. The starter will be dead pretty quick and not do it's actual job - start.
Just to confirm my california coast year 2020 has been repaired with a new isolater switch located under the passenger seat this unit is a single contact switch which cuts the power off from the single 12v leisure battery I don't know what caused it to fail but everything is good now. Happy Christmas to you all.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Back