Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noisy awning!

J

Julie Fletcher

Hi, we've had our Cali a couple of weeks and have camped with the awning in and out. This week, its been out and strapped down for extra safety. Last night, I'd say it was more breezy than windy but the flapping of the awning hitting the metal strut drove me nuts!

Do people generally wind it in at nighttime or are there other tricks?

Thanks

We cant sleep at night with it out unless its perfectly still. We sleep up top so the awning is next to my ear and drives me nuts too.

Hi Julie,

You could try dropping the legs down a little at night, so the fabric does not rub on the top edge of the awning box. This was where the noise on ours was coming from.
If the noise is coming from the roller mechanism straining, then probably best to roll it up at night.

Alan

Have had no problem with noise. Wind out awning, peg poles and afix guide lines then wind awning back in until taut. Do this by day and as the temperature drops it contracts further at night.

Try an additional line over the middle of the awning pegged down either side - I often use one of those high "in a bag with poles in segments' wind breaks - obviously to the windward side!!! then lower that corner awning leg to meet the top of it and throw the aforementioned line over - worked recently in hill top windy situation ...

al

Interesting one this...

Our awning was destroyed along with all the other damage when AB Crush did our roof repair... eventually replaced by VW and our local dealer after a few attempts... used it a few time since but noticed a few things...

There are a couple of differences over the early awnings... the most prominent are different legs and different leading edge to the wind out part of the awning.

However things are generally much more flimsy... The material itself is softer and much more prone to sagging (making it a little more difficult to use in the rain).

In line with this thread, it also rattles and knocks when there's even the slightest breeze making it difficult to leave out at night.

This is a March 2015 awning... wish I had my 2009 awning back which was much better and never had a problem with that!!!

Rgds

Mark

Unless your using it with a safari room, it's easier just to wind it in at night, it only takes a minute.

We wind ours up at night just in case the wind picks up. Also helps to reduce the amount of tree debris on the awning if you are camping in the shade under trees.

Back