Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory Awning - Extra Support

I have a (very expensive) telescopic tailgate prop which I can use to support the awning - but it's not ideal having a post in the middle of the space.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu
Hi Tom
I'm having my first experience of a heavy tailgate being propped open by a cheap steel clothesline prop. I live in fear of being decapitated! Do you feel safe under your prop and may I ask where you got it from please? Greatly admire your trip by the way.
Steve

Hi Tom
I'm having my first experience of a heavy tailgate being propped open by a cheap steel clothesline prop. I live in fear of being decapitated! Do you feel safe under your prop and may I ask where you got it from please? Greatly admire your trip by the way.
Steve
http://www.nuovarade.com/product.php?productId=366&categoryId=59

It feels quite safe, but as I'm not 100% confident I keep the boys away when I'm using it. If it were to slip, and you had it firmly footed, with the top cap on the tailgate latch, it would collapse from whatever length you had selected to 1.25m, so the tailgate might give you a nasty bump on the head, but your head would remain firmly on your neck.

It has a secondary use to prop the middle of the wind out awning to prevent water pooling during heavy rain, and a tertiary use to remove bamboo plates jammed in the bottom of saucepans.

957b17abf08fa29ed0854bfdd5e60b00.jpg

0d8a0fe255afb596f28afecf3c6c5cc3.jpg

http://www.nuovarade.com/product.php?productId=366&categoryId=59

It feels quite safe, but as I'm not 100% confident I keep the boys away when I'm using it. If it were to slip, and you had it firmly footed, with the top cap on the tailgate latch, it would collapse from whatever length you had selected to 1.25m, so the tailgate might give you a nasty bump on the head, but your head would remain firmly on your neck.

It has a secondary use to prop the middle of the wind out awning to prevent water pooling during heavy rain, and a tertiary use to remove bamboo plates jammed in the bottom of saucepans.

957b17abf08fa29ed0854bfdd5e60b00.jpg

0d8a0fe255afb596f28afecf3c6c5cc3.jpg

Thanks Tom that looks ideal. Did u have photo somewhere on the forum of it in use in your garage with comment that it fitted across the boot collapsed? It looked perfect but I recall the person had to order it from Italy. Sorry to ask another question but where did u get yours please? (I just have my phone and your link doesn't seem to be for a shop).
Stephen

3b0f0dfedad734a47664b4c105b7fca4.jpg

Details of the sale are on my home PC which is now in storage.

I couldn't find a UK supplier, and if I recall correctly, I ordered it from a Spanish supplier. The website is the Italian manufacturer.

It fits snugly across the lower part of my Beach's boot, and easily on top of the multiflex.

I'm not sure I can help much more as I too am working from a phone or iPad. But I did pay a ridiculously high price for it.

Just a note on the awning and over tensioning...we do the 'half turn back' to tension but....if it's baking hot be aware that the seam may fail if too tight and over tensioned....otherwise a tensioned awning (tied down if windy), one leg lower has always worked for us, including biblical thunderstorms etc...

I have the tie down kit, and a Fiamma curved pro rafter which comes with two square ended rubber feet and it definitely works with a California Thule awning, no fixings necessary.
I wind the awning out to maximum, insert the rafter in the centre and tighten its wing nut, then wind the awning back to tension the material, use the tie downs if it is going to be windy, if it is blowing a Gale the awning is rolled away

I got it in Towsure on sale: