Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway Summer '23?

M

MikeK

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, Considering Norway end July to mid August and some basic questions I'm hoping some of you can help with. Considering 3 weeks via Calais up to Hirtshals then ferry to Kristiansand and up Atlantic coast highway to Aalesund then back down via Lillehammer, Gothenburg and Malmo to Copenhagen and back. Questions are:

1. Is the mileage practical in 3 weeks especially this time of year?
2. Do we need to book campsites in late July & August in Norway?

Wondering if feasible and seen great blogs for trips out of peak season but tied in to term dates as wife is a teacher.

Any itineraries or comments welcome please.

Regards Mike

Hi all, Considering Norway end July to mid August and some basic questions I'm hoping some of you can help with. Considering 3 weeks via Calais up to Hirtshals then ferry to Kristiansand and up Atlantic coast highway to Aalesund then back down via Lillehammer, Gothenburg and Malmo to Copenhagen and back. Questions are:

1. Is the mileage practical in 3 weeks especially this time of year?
2. Do we need to book campsites in late July & August in Norway?

Wondering if feasible and seen great blogs for trips out of peak season but tied in to term dates as wife is a teacher.

Any itineraries or comments welcome please.

Regards Mike
I. At that time of year campsites will be busy. Still possible without booking but lots of motorhomes on the road in Scandinavia.
2. I would suggest Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight and straight to ferry Hirshals to Kristiansand, saves 4 days driving plus 2 Toll bridges and campsite fees.
3. Register with epass for Norwegian Tolls to take account of Enviromental discounts.

See my threads Countdown 1,2,3 and 4 regarding my trips to Norway.

Calais to Hirtshals to Kristiansand is quite a drive. Don't know where in the UK you live, but you might want to consider: Harwich (night boat?)-Hook of Holland-Eemshaven (night boat)-Kristiansand.

3. Register with epass for Norwegian Tolls to take account of Enviromental discounts.
One can register with brobizz (the Danish toll tag, gives a discount on the Danish bridges) AND, on the same Danish tag, with the Norwegian autopass.no and autopassferje.no. The first will handle your Norwegian road tolls, the second your inland ferry fares, with a 50% discount on the ferries. Thus you have one toll tag for all Danish and Norwegian tolls and ferries, all with discounts.
If you don't plan to take any Norwegian inland ferries, you can skip the autopassferje.no registration.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the Brobizz recommendation. I agree it looks very useful. Sadly I have just discovered it ceased to be valid in Norway for private customers from 13 April 2023.

Out of interest, are midges an issue in Norway in summer like they are in the Highlands?

Hi, what did you decide in the end? We are hoping to drive from Amsterdam to Lillehamme in 2 days this weekend. May be unrealistic…..