Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not a nice Monday morning...

daveyboydanger

daveyboydanger

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So it seems my big yellow van isn't big or yellow enough for somebody to avoid driving into! :(
IMG_5567.JPG
Any tips on insurance claims and body work issues I might face.
They had to hit the largest panel on the vehicle didn't they!?

What an idiot to do that. Any chance of finding some cctv that could identify the idiot's vehicle?

Damn and bad luck Big panels are normally the easy ones in my experience. B pillars and sills more of an issue. Looks like a glancing blow but it's going to be an insurance job. Besides the issues of liability fight for a VW authorised repairer.

Mike

Oh no, I'm so sorry to see this.

I'm sad to admit I constantly fret about where I leave my van. Strategic parking is a term I use daily and I lost sleep for a bit during those storms when my neighbour installed an outward opening gate on her drive that opens out onto my van. It was rattling all night.

The saddest reality is people don't own up. I installed CCTV on my house after someone did similar damage to my beloved Brera and drove off.

I am gutted for you, so sorry. Hope you at least know who did it?

Just stick out for VW approved repair shop.
Not an issue when we had our claim.(expected a battle but no) Guess it time to test your provider.

What an idiot to do that. Any chance of finding some cctv that could identify the idiot's vehicle?
Luckily (?!) we were in the vehicle. We were driving and he was pulling out of a junction. He said someone had waved him to go through, sadly that person was on the other side of the road and he didn't check vehicles right in front of him.
He admitted fault but it's still a right pain in the backside to get sorted.

Might not be as bad as it seems. As mentioned the big panel would likely pull out OK.
The sill isn't too bad as it's not actually bent the bottom of the sill from what you can see from the photo.
A good bodyshop would sort that out without any problem.
So hopefully no new panels needed which would be the main problem, cutting old out and welding new in.
When our sliding door was bashed they welded special studs onto it and then used a small slide hammer on the studs to pull the dent out. Respray of the door and good as new.

Luckily (?!) we were in the vehicle.
Phew! Losing your pride and joy for 10 days is one thing, having to pay out a couple of £k of your own pocket would feel a whole lot worse.

Phew! Losing your pride and joy for 10 days is one thing, having to pay out a couple of £k of your own pocket would feel a whole lot worse.
Exactly. We all have bad days. That guy had a mare! It'll all be fine!

So it seems my big yellow van isn't big or yellow enough for somebody to avoid driving into! :(
View attachment 18079
Any tips on insurance claims and body work issues I might face.
They had to hit the largest panel on the vehicle didn't they!?
So sorry to hear your news and glad that everyone is OK.

1. Hope you have details of the other driver.
2. Inform your Insurance company ASAP
3. Insist on a VW approved Repair shop to retain VW warranty
4. When they are preparing a quit for the Insurance company get them to check the Fuel tank fixture and fittings as it lies behind that panel, close to the panel below the floor. Also check the internal floor at that point as it is amazing how external forces can be transmitted along various struts and supports.

Do let us know how you get on and how well your Insurance company deals with it.

The other driver is at fault whether he was called on or not as he was in control of the vehicle.

So sorry to hear your news and glad that everyone is OK.

1. Hope you have details of the other driver.
Yes all good.
2. Inform your Insurance company ASAP
Have already filled out their questionnaires complete with sketch of incident! Not sure my drawing skills quite captured the moment!
3. Insist on a VW approved Repair shop to retain VW warranty
Comfort (Aviva) didn't have an approved body shop so that made it simpler (think they're scared of the motor home thing) so I went to my dealer and asked them.
4. When they are preparing a quit for the Insurance company get them to check the Fuel tank fixture and fittings as it lies behind that panel, close to the panel below the floor. Also check the internal floor at that point as it is amazing how external forces can be transmitted along various struts and supports.
Will need to get them to look at that, thanks for the heads up.

Do let us know how you get on and how well your Insurance company deals with it.

The other driver is at fault whether he was called on or not as he was in control of the vehicle.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to see this.

I'm sad to admit I constantly fret about where I leave my van. Strategic parking is a term I use daily and I lost sleep for a bit during those storms when my neighbour installed an outward opening gate on her drive that opens out onto my van. It was rattling all night.

The saddest reality is people don't own up. I installed CCTV on my house after someone did similar damage to my beloved Brera and drove off.

I am gutted for you, so sorry. Hope you at least know who did it?
Damaging a Brera should mean Guantanamo at least!

Haha I totally agree!

I really looked after that car, or tried to!

MG_9539-copy1-620x357.jpg

Sorry for you. But as you said - the important ones did not get a scratch! It is easy fixed, but as @WelshGas points out. Important to search for hidden defects.

BTW: Our first cali looked lige this after 4 month. Showing it just so you can feel yours is a minor dent ;-)

View media item 986

Try calling VW Ensurance as they will do the claims management for you and ensure a VW repair.

Sad news Daveyboy, glad no-one is hurt. Hope the Cali get's sorted quickly for you. :(

I am sorry to hear about your damage. I hope you get it fixed OK.

Whilst not trying to make light of it, at least you have a Beach. If a new panel is required it will be much easier to replace with no kitchen etc to remove not to mention the inevitable problems that would follow.

I am sorry to hear about your damage. I hope you get it fixed OK.

Whilst not trying to make light of it, at least you have a Beach. If a new panel is required it will be much easier to replace with no kitchen etc to remove not to mention the inevitable problems that would follow.
That's what the body shop guy was relieved about!

So as the side of my van will be resprayed do you think I should ask if they could prep and spray this???

IMG_5578.JPG

As they are going to respray the panel I would have thought they would be doing the whole panel as it would be easier for masking etc: so I would ask, definitely.

As they are going to respray the panel I would have thought they would be doing the whole panel as it would be easier for masking etc: so I would ask, definitely.
Exactly what I thought WG. Might be a nice little bonus to come out of a little sad annoyance.

Back