Not about Cali's, but life experience. Buying expensive software

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Gurus,

So, this thread is not about Cali's so might be boring to some, if not everyone but I would like to pick your brains and life experiences for those who read on, as reading 100s of threads on herr, I know your a wise bunch!

So I am self employed, and 3 years ago, I had a decision to buy some software, called AutoCAD (owned by Autodesk).

You basically just bought AutoCAD and owned it (called a perpetual licence) with the option of upgrading it annually to the latest version via a maintenance pack but Autodesk didn't like this as they realised everyone was keeping the software for years without updating so they changed it to subscription which meant you paid annually for it so never owned it.

Deep breath (told you it was boring but now it gets complicated), so back in 2016 they said, that's it, enough is enough, we are only doing subscriptions so it's your last chance to buy the perpetual license. I personally don't like the thought of being stuck paying an annual licence in case work goes quiet so got a loan. It was £6k :sad, but now I owned it.

Owning a perpetual licence meant I could pay £1.5k per year after 3 years to keep it updated on a maintenance plan and everyone else would now have to be on subscription, subscriptions paying £3k so I worked out I should be saving money after about 4 years.

However, as soon as paid the £6k, about 6 months later when they stopped perpetual licences, they then stated they can't do maintenance and subscription packs as it's too.much work for them :mad: so they are increasingly the maintenance price by 20% per year so it won't be half the price of subscription, basically nearly the same after 3 years.

This was met with uproar from companies all over the world, so Autodesk now have stated that if they take my perpual licence away from me, :stop I can move to subscription and pay half price compared to everyone else on subs (currently £3k v £1.5k). Ok, it's half price and they will honour that until 2028 but of course I will then not own it.

Told u it was boring, but what do you think of this. I could basically just keep my perpetual licence and never upgrade it but just got an email last week stating anyone with 2010 perpetual license will become invalid next year so looks like I will only have 6 years left as I got it in 2016.

:sad:rage:punch:Depressed

I have a security camera that was being sold with "Free for life" on line storage of the last 7 day's recordings. The company subsequently withdrew this "offer" and retrospectively said it would have charge a subscription. Those who had bought the cameras ( some had invested a lot in multi camera systems ) were somewhat P****d Off but despite a campaign on Facebook and a hammering on Trustpilot etc, the bottom line was there was a cop out in the T&Cs. Also it was a bit of a Catch 22, either pay up or the company will not be able to stay in business.

Dear Cali Gurus,

So, this thread is not about Cali's so might be boring to some, if not everyone but I would like to pick your brains and life experiences for those who read on, as reading 100s of threads on herr, I know your a wise bunch!

So I am self employed, and 3 years ago, I had a decision to buy some software, called AutoCAD (owned by Autodesk).

You basically just bought AutoCAD and owned it (called a perpetual licence) with the option of upgrading it annually to the latest version via a maintenance pack but Autodesk didn't like this as they realised everyone was keeping the software for years without updating so they changed it to subscription which meant you paid annually for it so never owned it.

Deep breath (told you it was boring but now it gets complicated), so back in 2016 they said, that's it, enough is enough, we are only doing subscriptions so it's your last chance to buy the perpetual license. I personally don't like the thought of being stuck paying an annual licence in case work goes quiet so got a loan. It was £6k :sad, but now I owned it.

Owning a perpetual licence meant I could pay £1.5k per year after 3 years to keep it updated on a maintenance plan and everyone else would now have to be on subscription, subscriptions paying £3k so I worked out I should be saving money after about 4 years.

However, as soon as paid the £6k, about 6 months later when they stopped perpetual licences, they then stated they can't do maintenance and subscription packs as it's too.much work for them :mad: so they are increasingly the maintenance price by 20% per year so it won't be half the price of subscription, basically nearly the same after 3 years.

This was met with uproar from companies all over the world, so Autodesk now have stated that if they take my perpual licence away from me, :stop I can move to subscription and pay half price compared to everyone else on subs (currently £3k v £1.5k). Ok, it's half price and they will honour that until 2028 but of course I will then not own it.

Told u it was boring, but what do you think of this. I could basically just keep my perpetual licence and never upgrade it but just got an email last week stating anyone with 2010 perpetual license will become invalid next year so looks like I will only have 6 years left as I got it in 2016.

Sounds like they have you over a barrel! What does your contract say on this?

I bet there’s a get out clause!
I had the same problem with Navionics marine charts, bought years ago off google play. Then they brought out annual updates and my charts disappeared off the tablet. Must have been a big reaction and the company was forced to reinstate the charts on the old contract without the updates, sharp practice is everywhere.

Sounds like they have you over a barrel! What does your contract say on this?
Yep, that's what I thought. David v Goliath, but David's not going win this one I don't think :-(
There is no contract :-0

I had the same problem with Navionics marine charts, bought years ago off google play. Then they brought out annual updates and my charts disappeared off the tablet. Must have been a big reaction and the company was forced to reinstate the charts on the old contract without the updates, sharp practice is everywhere.
It certainly does :-(

It's the way the world is going. Some companies I have dealt with recently for £100k + pa packages don't even let you host software on your own hardware anymore forcing you to use cloud based service.
In reality no different to the way the car industry has moved so dramatically towards leasing.
The £1.5k pa vs £6k perpetual sounds like a good deal to me, I think after 4 years with no updates you would be struggling anyway as the Autocad would likely not have kept pace with operating system updates. I assume the annual fee also gets you some access to technical support.

Professional software is always expensive. As an accountant, I have to pay a 5 figure sum each year for the “tax return and accounts” software I use. I have to consider that there’s no alternative and without the software, I would need to employ more than one additional employee - so overall, it’s the cheaper option. Competitor software is no cheaper for the functionality.

But it’s a poor show when companies change their policy - so that having been drawn into the commitment on a promise of “free for life” you find that that commitment doesn’t work both ways.

Your version of AutoCAD should last a while as long as your hardware doesn't drastically change and your clients are using a compatible version if you're exchanging files. The company I worked for contracted out their engineering so that the contractor became liable for software licensing and updates, my company used Bentley View to view the .dwg files (with no option to edit) - no use if you're the end user of the software though!
Are there no alternatives to AutoCAD that you could use? I understand that they are the market 'defacto' but their software is usually over specified and very expensive... If your clients require up to date .dwg files, you may need to charge them accordingly...

Consumer rights act 2015 gives some protection for unfair consumer contacts where they are written to favour the supplier.
As ever, challenging it can be very stressful.

Adobe did this with photoshop and Lightroom (and everything else since) thankfully it wasn’t very expensive but it’s a frustrating model that favours the supplier and takes away customers choice.

You could argue there is competition to photoshop but there isn’t really if you’re trained on their system. The reality is photoshop today still runs on the same maths behind the interface. They add a few gimmicks each year to jusitfy the ongoing cost.

Autocad is probably similar close to a monopoly?

Yep, same issue. Purchased / upgraded to a full version of Building Design Suite back in 2016 for £5k. The first offering from Autodesk was a joke and have literally finally relented to Subscription this Nov. I've moved it across to a 3 years subscription at £3150 +VAT (normally £7200) and then the 5% increase every other year up to 2028.

40% rise this year for the maintenance licence for the BDS was the final "stick" from Autodesk to move across. The downside of Revit is that its not backward compatibility unlike AutoCAD.

On the plus side I've allowed my LT Suites to expire (use full version of Revit due to central models). So Autodesk you can...…...:bananadance2

Both my AEC subscriptions are due early next year at £5800 + VAT for the annual rent. :talktothehand

Yep, same issue. Purchased / upgraded to a full version of Building Design Suite back in 2016 for £5k. The first offering from Autodesk was a joke and have literally finally relented to Subscription this Nov. I've moved it across to a 3 years subscription at £3150 +VAT (normally £7200) and then the 5% increase every other year up to 2028.

40% rise this year for the maintenance licence for the BDS was the final "stick" from Autodesk to move across. The downside of Revit is that its not backward compatibility unlike AutoCAD.

On the plus side I've allowed my LT Suites to expire (use full version of Revit due to central models). So Autodesk you can...…...:bananadance2

Both my AEC subscriptions are due early next year at £5800 + VAT for the annual rent. :talktothehand
Wow @pjm-84 that's exactly the same as what I bought in 2016, the design suite and yes have the same 'bargain' half price offer but runs out in 45 days. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use your package for and now your on subs, is the 'new' package any better? Thanks in advance

Actually that's a good point which I never considered. BDS is a earlier incarnation to the latest offering (AEC). The AEC software is bundled with numerous products, similarly to BDS, but we typically only utilise the Revit, AutoCAD and Vehicle tracking programmes. The BDS doesn't come with Vehicle Tracking so I'm wondering if I will now receive this.

Architecture for me. Commercial. I've moved across to Revit a few years back so I'm relatively happy (now) on this platform.

Dear Cali Gurus,

Hi. Basically if you can manage with Autocad.LT it's not that costly. We use LT with Sketchup for 3D. The "upgrades" these days are just tweaks, it's a mature product now.