Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ocean 204 dsg

I'm going to Hereford van centre on Saturday to place an order for an Ocean 204 dsg

Which options would you say we're essential and the ones you'd wish you hadn't bothered with
From your extensive list I would say that only the tow bar and the awning are essential.
The tow bar should be a factory fit. With an after market fit you may well end up in a world of trouble because to do it properly, I believe that the kitchen has to be removed and that will cause issues, lots of issues. It will also be a very expensive job.
The awning because it isn't a Cali without one and they are a King's ransom to buy and fit later. I was charged £900+ to have a new one fitted by the dealer. You could almost get two factory fitted ones for that price!

IMO the rest of the options on your list are nice to have but are in no way essential. We also have a fully loaded Cali with all the bells and whistles but I can honestly say that we would almost certainly enjoy it just as much if it were a bog standard cooking Cali.

However you spec it, I hope you get your van quickly and have many happy adventures in it.

From your extensive list I would say that only the tow bar and the awning are essential.
The tow bar should be a factory fit. With an after market fit you may well end up in a world of trouble because to do it properly, I believe that the kitchen has to be removed and that will cause issues, lots of issues. It will also be a very expensive job.
The awning because it isn't a Cali without one and they are a King's ransom to buy and fit later. I was charged £900+ to have a new one fitted by the dealer. You could almost get two factory fitted ones for that price!

IMO the rest of the options on your list are nice to have but are in no way essential. We also have a fully loaded Cali with all the bells and whistles but I can honestly say that we would almost certainly enjoy it just as much if it were a bog standard cooking Cali.

However you spec it, I hope you get your van quickly and have many happy adventures in it.
Thanks Boris,
Yes all the "extras" are not essential but nice to have
I know from experience, when i have bought a lower spect vehicle in the past and spent a small fortune bring it up to the spec that I wanted, most of the time a lot more than if I'd bought the higher spec vehicle in the first instance
I'm only going to be in a position to splash this amount of cash once and went for full fat and not semi skimmed

Just a side note, my Mrs, She who must be obayed, only agreed, as long as I didn't "modify" the Cali

That's ok, bike rack is more important to me than spoiler
I've ordered both :thumb I specified the removable towbar as I prefer a towball mounted bike rack anyway, makes the rear of the van look cleaner and you only use the rack when you need it. Beside which, I'm too bloody short to get bikes on and off the VW rack :)

I've ordered both :thumb I specified the removable towbar as I prefer a towball mounted bike rack anyway, makes the rear of the van look cleaner and you only use the rack when you need it. Beside which, I'm too bloody short to get bikes on and off the VW rack :)

Beside which, I'm too bloody short to get bikes on and off the VW rack

I say that all the time to my boss lol.

@Taff7996 I noticed on your wish list you were looking for a Semi Rigid Boot liner.
Did you manage to find one?
We are looking for a boot liner for our Cali SE 2015

@Taff7996 I noticed on your wish list you were looking for a Semi Rigid Boot liner.
Did you manage to find one?
We are looking for a boot liner for our Cali SE 2015
I've used a hydroponics drip tray 1mtr square. Thinking about getting a rigid version with deeper sides but the flexible one with a cut on the lip to allow a bit of a side fold for the tool kit on the back of the rear seat/bed.
The seat doesn't go back to its last click/lock position but no problem

Incidentally virtually identical, but obviously not made for Cali., to bespoke car boot trays that I've previously purchased.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120-x-60c...hash=item3ac8ea2bbd:m:mdfE6AdkYDuD6QFggV0xCyQ

Possible more rigid high sided item

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-M...433411?hash=item41c45efbc3:g:UQoAAOSw5cRZEH4m

Last edited:
Thanks @B J G I like the looks of the one in the first link. I have not found a bespoke one yet. I am currently using a non slip mat with a plastic liner on top. Its a real pain as it always curls up and spills sand etc.

Thanks @B J G I like the looks of the one in the first link. I have not found a bespoke one yet. I am currently using a non slip mat with a plastic liner on top. Its a real pain as it always curls up and spills sand etc.
I also put one of those antislip mats in it. The sort that you get for shelves. Plus a few plastic boxes from Homebase, brown with a mock basketweave which can be taken out quickly. Carried kerbing + bags of sand & cement with a quick pull out and clean afterwards.

Just had a quick measure up. SE width approx. 100W x 70+deep.
Only option looks like the 100 x 100 and trimming the part that will be at the rear of the Cali.

Mine's a 100x100 cm. Seat forward a bit to accommodate.

Only job I did was to use a hot air gun to fold the sides over as they had a sharp edge which may cut into the trim in time.

20170514_141920[1].jpg

Last edited:
Those things take up space ....you lose at least a few cm left and right....
I simply got plastic crates that fit perfect with not a cm loss of space.

Sure works good if you put loose wet/dirty things in the rear or when the chemical toilet should leak...:Nailbiting

The light grey plastic floor looked a nightmare to keep in good order which was the main reason for purchase.
Most things, Porta-Potti and boxes/crates are either tapered or have rim/handle which takes up more side space than the tray, so no actual potential carrying volume lost.
I'm always surprised how much grit and dust finds its way into the tray.

Back