Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean Collected

Gina-B

Gina-B

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Picked up our new Ocean last Thursday from the dealership in Poole. Had a great smooth drive back to Exeter along the coast road. Fantastic drive - great views out to sea. I'd never driven an automatic before but it was so easy to get used to once I remembered to keep my left foot out of the way! Home on the drive now, but for future newbies, in case you get the following problem (hopefully not).........
Sunday evening we decided to try out the electric roof. Went up and down perfectly well the first go. Second go, the roof started to come down on one side only. Put it up again but same prob on coming down. Decided to ring the dealership in the morning. So, rang them this morning and they were really patient and helpful - it seems this problem sometimes occurs and it is probably in need of reprogramming - which is a bit disappointing for a brand new vehicle to say the least. We were advised to open all doors and windows and try again - miracle alert - it worked. But we are now in the process of getting it booked in at our local VW van centre in Exeter to be reprogrammed. So, not the best start for our new van, but there is so much to be pleased with, so I'm trying to stay positive. Heyho!!

Picked up our new Ocean last Thursday from the dealership in Poole. Had a great smooth drive back to Exeter along the coast road. Fantastic drive - great views out to sea. I'd never driven an automatic before but it was so easy to get used to once I remembered to keep my left foot out of the way! Home on the drive now, but for future newbies, in case you get the following problem (hopefully not).........
Sunday evening we decided to try out the electric roof. Went up and down perfectly well the first go. Second go, the roof started to come down on one side only. Put it up again but same prob on coming down. Decided to ring the dealership in the morning. So, rang them this morning and they were really patient and helpful - it seems this problem sometimes occurs and it is probably in need of reprogramming - which is a bit disappointing for a brand new vehicle to say the least. We were advised to open all doors and windows and try again - miracle alert - it worked. But we are now in the process of getting it booked in at our local VW van centre in Exeter to be reprogrammed. So, not the best start for our new van, but there is so much to be pleased with, so I'm trying to stay positive. Heyho!!
When you picked up the van didn’t they tell you you had to have the doors, that’s the side door as well all open?if you don’t theres nowhere for the extra air in the roof to escape. Then all sorts of problems occur.

not opening the doors when lowering the roof has nothig at all to do with the roof coming down on one side only. that is just to allow air out during lowering to lower the risk of the bellows balloning outward and getting nicked in the scissors. you need to keep an eye on that problem as it can be an expenisve and lengthy repair

Opening doors and windows doesn't have anything to do with side sag. Reading postings, side sag does seem to be a regular occurrence on the first few occasions that the roof is put up on a new van. Not good VW.

:welcome I'm sure you will get it sorted. congrats on the new van anyway.

Thanks for all the responses folks! Yes I knew about the need to open everything up and it worked fine on the first go - not on the second. I'm now told that it's a software 'glitch' and will need reprogramming. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer. Since then, I moved the vehicle and wound down my driver's window. Now it won't go all the way up - it bounces at the top and comes down again!! Needless to say I'm less than impressed with my new vehicle and not a happy bunny!
another 'glitch'?? What next I ask myself. Refund?!!

Congratulations on your new Van….our new Ocean arrived a few days ago as well. No issues with the roof (so far) but the camping / aux heater isn’t working at all. Not sure if this is something others have experienced. We did get is started once but a big plume of blue smoke appeared. Anyway, it’s now booked in at the dealer.

Thanks for all the responses folks! Yes I knew about the need to open everything up and it worked fine on the first go - not on the second. I'm now told that it's a software 'glitch' and will need reprogramming. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer. Since then, I moved the vehicle and wound down my driver's window. Now it won't go all the way up - it bounces at the top and comes down again!! Needless to say I'm less than impressed with my new vehicle and not a happy bunny!
try resetting the window by holding it in the up position for over 5 seconds and then fully down and hold for more than 5 seconds

Hi @Gina-B So sorry you've had problems picking up your ocean, once you have them sorted, i'm sure you'll love it!

We're in Exeter too with a white / copper bronze ocean called Gizmo, give us a wave if you see us!

Hi @Gina-B So sorry you've had problems picking up your ocean, once you have them sorted, i'm sure you'll love it!

We're in Exeter too with a white / copper bronze ocean called Gizmo, give us a wave if you see us!
Will do you two! Mine is white over bayleaf green so hope we pass at some stage!!

If its software, and VW know their latest version of software fixes the problem, then it should be quick and simple to fix (i.e. 1 hour whilst-you-wait).

You could also ask why this latest update wasn't applied before being given to you.

But try not to lose heart, take it in, they fix it, try get a low-cost-to-them freebie for the inconvienence

Congratulations on your new Van….our new Ocean arrived a few days ago as well. No issues with the roof (so far) but the camping / aux heater isn’t working at all. Not sure if this is something others have experienced. We did get is started once but a big plume of blue smoke appeared. Anyway, it’s now booked in at the dealer.
It's a real bummer isn't it when we've waited excitedly for our new toy. Mine is booked in too so let's hope we both get our vans back in tip top condition so we can live the dream soon. Good luck, and congrats on yours.

If its software, and VW know their latest version of software fixes the problem, then it should be quick and simple to fix (i.e. 1 hour whilst-you-wait).

You could also ask why this latest update wasn't applied before being given to you.

But try not to lose heart, take it in, they fix it, try get a low-cost-to-them freebie for the inconvienence
Thanks two-saabs. Haven't lost heart yet. But it's close. I'm sure they'll fix it.

Thank you all for responses to this thread. What a great club this is. So supportive. Gives me hope and a bit more faith in humanity.

Welcome Gina. I’m sure it‘s just teething.

we are just west of you Black Coast …… I’ll keep an eye out! Dartmoor beckons …. Although just back from Shropshire … so beautiful

lcome Gina. I’m sure it‘s just teething.

we are just west of you Black Coast …… I’ll keep an eye out! Dartmoor beckons …. Although just back from Shropshire … so beautiful
Hope it's just teething! Good to know other 6.1s are in the area. Keep a lookout for us: white/bayleaf green.

I also took delivery of my new Ocean last week and ran into problems right away with the water pump failing after two attempts. I checked the usual microswitch fix and other fuse related solutions as mentioned on this site but nothing worked. Took the Cali to VW to check and their top technician spent 3-4 hours trying to find the problem. No parts including the water pump were faulty so he was not sure what was going on. Now booked in for a 3 day investigation ! However, this evening the water pump starting to function again for no apparent reason. Could have been a possible air pocket or something but hey ho, a major new car glitch !

'New car glitch' seems to be a VW mantra! I've heard it from two dealers in the past three days!

The fact that VW can’t do over the air updates in 2021 is laughable.

VW can’t even manage it with the ID3 / 4.

Legacy car manufacturers are so far behind, most won’t survive past 2030 in my opinion.

Hey ho, hey ho, off to the dealers we go.
Four hours and they couldn't sort out a faulty water pump! At least you get a new best friend, "The Service Manager"!

I chose to get my new Ocean from Poole (because of the good reviews), but because I now have the roof problem It's easier for me to go to the dealer in Exeter where I live. When I rang to book it in I was told that I'd have to wait 2 weeks before the California Technician was in - can you believe that?!! Somehow, I don't. I'm just hoping that I can actually speak to said technician when I actually get there. Is it really the case that dealerships only have one California technician? Anyone else experienced this?

When we had a problem on route, we popped into to the Exeter VW Van Centre and had quite good attention. If you read other people's of experiences of the Exeter dealer, they're not always quite so rosy.

Unfortunately owning California can develop into to having a long distance relationship. We live in Watford, buy from Kent, and have servicing done by choice done in Poole.