Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean Ordered!

B

BigJohn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Signed on the dotted line this morning! (actually, don't remember signing anything...but handed over some cash anyway)

Ocean, 4Motion
- Two tone green
- Diff Lock
- Pro navigation system
- Woodstock wheels
- 235 all weather tyres
- Comfort mattress
- 80L tank
- Heated front screen
- Brushed grey inlays
- Safe box
- Tow bar
- 4 keys

A couple of options undecided though...DCC, when we took the demonstrator out for a spin it did feel a bit wollowy on a fast country road and I'm thinking that the DCC would help with this, but the sales guy advised that he thought most people just left it in comfort and ignored it - thoughts anyone? I did a bit of a search around here and found a couple of people voting for it and no-one against.

Secondly, mudflaps - we both instantly thought that we wanted mudflaps and I was a little surprised that they were an extra cost option, but when we looked around the showroom we didn't see a single Transporter or Cali with mudflaps and ended up not spec'ing them. What do people think?

Delivery expected Oct/Nov sometime - going to be a long year!

John

Congrats! Can confirm the wait is a long one, having ordered in Feb - started off excitedly watching the how to videos (up to the point my 7yo was asking for California Chris instead of Sponge Bob) and browsing the accessories sites. However the novelty wore off quite quickly and now faced with the interminable wait! Not helped by doing two weeks camping last week and seeing a few Oceans on site as we bedded down in our tent lol

Suppose I should do something useful like working a bit harder to pay for the thing...!

From me it’s Yes for the mudflaps

:welcome BigJohn,

have you poured yourself a large one to calm the nerves after the signing today ?
No experience of DCC on a Cali so can’t comment.

mud flap, either go for factory fit or third party aftermarket, not dealer fitted (they drill the bumper on dealer fit) various threads on here about mud flaps. A decent pair of mud flaps is about £25 from a well known auction site, several posts on the forum and a u tube Vid. (very very easy to fit)

enjoy the right of passage which is the inevitable reading and research, planning etc.

Welcome BigJohn

A long year ahead and even greater camping years! And the possibility to camp all year round!

Enjoy!

No mudflaps here: I guess I'd go for the factory ones.

Thanks for the replies. Having checked the photos, SWMBO doesn't like the look of the factory rear flaps half way down the bumper (I know what she means), so we've decided not to spec them - might look at the aftermarket ones fitting directly behind the wheel later on.

I did some more googling last night and on balance, I think there are more votes for DCC than against, so have added that to the order as well - in for a penny, in for a pound!

Now the waiting....

Can I just make a comment of the brushed inserts, we initially spec'd these as thought it added some contrast to the dash from looking at the configurator, but after seeing them in the flesh swapped back to standard, in all honesty they just looked cheaper. IIRC they are standard on the beach and coast.

Signed on the dotted line this morning! (actually, don't remember signing anything...but handed over some cash anyway)

Ocean, 4Motion
- Two tone green
- Diff Lock
- Pro navigation system
- Woodstock wheels
- 235 all weather tyres
- Comfort mattress
- 80L tank
- Heated front screen
- Brushed grey inlays
- Safe box
- Tow bar
- 4 keys

A couple of options undecided though...DCC, when we took the demonstrator out for a spin it did feel a bit wollowy on a fast country road and I'm thinking that the DCC would help with this, but the sales guy advised that he thought most people just left it in comfort and ignored it - thoughts anyone? I did a bit of a search around here and found a couple of people voting for it and no-one against.

Secondly, mudflaps - we both instantly thought that we wanted mudflaps and I was a little surprised that they were an extra cost option, but when we looked around the showroom we didn't see a single Transporter or Cali with mudflaps and ended up not spec'ing them. What do people think?

Delivery expected Oct/Nov sometime - going to be a long year!

John

Congrats :)

Personally I'd add Mudflaps as the factory ones are great compared to dealer fit.

Personal choice but I use Apple CarPlay 99.9% of the time so wouldn't spend on Pro Navigation System which will be quickly out of date, plus I prefer physical buttons for volume etc. However sounds like budget isn't too much of an issue here.

TMPS is something else I'd spec as it's annoying pumping up all 4 tyres to work out what's what.

With regards to ride, I upgraded my suspension on my 2014 with the official VW kit and it made a massive difference, this was the number 1 best thing I ever did to my Cali (Brandrup Second Skins being the 2nd)

Some people don't like the heated front screen as it has lines running through It (apparently)

All first world problems though :)

Two tone Green and White is beautiful, and love those Woodstock alloys!

Thanks for the replies. Having checked the photos, SWMBO doesn't like the look of the factory rear flaps half way down the bumper (I know what she means), so we've decided not to spec them - might look at the aftermarket ones fitting directly behind the wheel later on.

I did some more googling last night and on balance, I think there are more votes for DCC than against, so have added that to the order as well - in for a penny, in for a pound!

Now the waiting....
Congratulations!
I added DCC after ordering too, given the complaints about handling here, and in the hope of avoiding aftermarket shock/spring upgrades. Strange comment from the dealer on people leaving it in Comfort, I wonder how he knows that. There is a button on the dash I understand, so easy to change settings, to firm things up for twisty roads, and soften things up on the motorway/crashing through potholes round town.

Can I just make a comment of the brushed inserts, we initially spec'd these as thought it added some contrast to the dash from looking at the configurator, but after seeing them in the flesh swapped back to standard, in all honesty they just looked cheaper. IIRC they are standard on the beach and coast.
Thanks Abx, we saw both in the showroom so reasonably comfortable. The beach seemed to habe something different again, but might have just been the lighting in the showroom.

Reactions: Abx
Personal choice but I use Apple CarPlay 99.9% of the time so wouldn't spend on Pro Navigation System which will be quickly out of date, plus I prefer physical buttons for volume etc. However sounds like budget isn't too much of an issue here.

Some people don't like the heated front screen as it has lines running through It (apparently)
Thanks... the wife liked the larger full touchscreen - who am I to argue!

We've got a heated screen in our current Skoda, I assume this one will be very similar. You can see the lines if you get it in the right light, but it's not something that's ever been a problem, and certainly outweighed by the convenience on a frosty morning. This will be an (almost) daily driver, so will need to be ready to go in the morning's, not just when we're camping.