Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OCEAN to BEACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JG220

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Bought a lovely 199 Ocean this time last year.

Did loads of trips away during the lockdowns (apart from the ones where we were not allowed to leave home). It was absolutely brilliant last autumn as we went round empty campsites and visited loads of places that weren't that far away from home.

Generally we found the places like this:

[img=800x600]
It was great for stargazing too, this is the alignment of Jupiter and Saturn last year. it was properly bright

[img=800x600]
[img=800x600]
Campsites came in all sorts of shapes, I tended to shy away from the large ones instead trying to find the smaller more secluded types and I have to say the camping and caravanning club was brilliant for sources of 5/6 place sites:

[img=800x600]
Did try a couple of larger sites, but didn't really enjoy them. And as covid persisted, as we all know campervaning got more and more popular and the sites got rammed.

[img=800x600]
So much so that in July this year, we ended up renting a cottage for summer hols but took the van. it was properly good at carrying bikes easily and nice to have the option to go out for the day self sufficiently.

[img=800x600]https://i.imgur.com/Olk39R9.jpg[/img]

It was even good at transporting racing/sports cars

[img=800x600]https://i.imgur.com/Zdlg2Qt.jpg[/img]

VW took it for a couple of warranty issues and while it was in I offered it to them for sale and we agree a number which was substantially more than I paid for it. so I let it go. They fixed it PDQ(obvs) and sold it but I was happy we were all winners.

It wasn't perfect. We never cooked in it, it was far too plush and nice for that. So I did all the cooking outside, come rain or shine (you can see the cooker in all the camp shots) and we didn't carry water either as I didn't want the risk of smelly grey water. It was also a bit tight on the bed 'downstairs' because of the kitchen.

So I've ordered a BEACH (camper), on which I've put all the OCEAN options back on. does away with the kitchen and gives a huge downstairs and more seats (the OCEAN only has 4). hopefully get it sometime towards September next year. I went with black, naturally.

Lovely pics! Someone will be really enjoying the van, looks like you bought it at the right time!

There will be some on here who won’t be able to compute that you would prefer the lowly Beach ;)
I have an Ocean on order and agonised over whether it will suit our purposes better than a Beach and tbh i’m still not entirely sure. I thought that my Velle with a pop top was exactly what we needed.
In the end I was outvoted 2-1 by my family once they’d seen both vans. Like you, I can’t see ever cooking inside, other than making the odd brew.

Price wise , what’s the difference between the two once you’ve brought the Beach up to Ocean spec? Here in Spain there wasn’t a huge difference, not enough for it to carry weight in the decision.

I don't actually know. I decided not to look at the price. I just ticked all the options. I suspect it's rather more than a base OCEAN...

there’s no Coast imported here so the Ocean starts fairly basic compared to the UK model. eg No posh instrument panel or ACC as standard. 16” steels std.
It’s easy to spend more on a Beach once you start adding LEDs and cruise control

I added:

Power fold mirrors
Interior light concept
18in Teresina wheels
Panoramic canvas
80L fuel tank
Front fog lights
Heated seats
Stronger AGM battery
Front and rear parking sensors
LED headlamps
Privacy glass
Comfort pack including comfort dash
3 Seater bench
Bed extension with comfort mattress
Navigation discover media
Metallic paint (black)
Towbar
4 keys
Art Velour

and thats it, £15k of options :D

oy8JByW.png

I added:

Power fold mirrors
Interior light concept
18in Teresina wheels
Panoramic canvas
80L fuel tank
Front fog lights
Heated seats
Stronger AGM battery
Front and rear parking sensors
LED headlamps
Privacy glass
Comfort pack including comfort dash
3 Seater bench
Bed extension with comfort mattress
Navigation discover media
Metallic paint (black)
Towbar
4 keys
Art Velour

and thats it, £15k of options :D

oy8JByW.png
High spec! Did you get a decent discount? With Drive the Deal?
When I looked at a Beach, it was the reduction in storage space and lack of a fridge and sink that swung it, though I would love 5 seat belts...

The clever money goes onto a Beach - its a shame you cant buy what was a 3 seat Beach anymore
this has the 3 seat bench?
High spec! Did you get a decent discount? With Drive the Deal?
When I looked at a Beach, it was the reduction in storage space and lack of a fridge and sink that swung it, though I would love 5 seat belts...
about 10%.

You can get a Beach fridge I think. that goes in the boot. overall you get a lot more space.

I think most people who buy Beaches have had Oceans first. You have to live with them for a bit to figure out the kitchen thing makes little sense for most people.
i went straight into a Beach - i dont cook inside, the washing up bowl is too small and dont like the idea of grey water storage - or an electric roof. Less is definitely more

one thing I regret about the BEACH is that I would have liked the red bellows again. they looked fab and regularly got positive comments.

I cook in my kitchen, which is around 20 times larger than my California, is largely free of soft furnishings and I don't have to sleep or drive in it. It has a proper ventilation system and is regularly cleaned with products I wouldn't dare touch the California with.

I cook in my kitchen, which is around 20 times larger than my California, is largely free of soft furnishings and I don't have to sleep or drive in it. It has a proper ventilation system and is regularly cleaned with products I wouldn't dare touch the California with.
fair point! Although I cook outside every chance I get!
Also, my camp stove is far and away better than the cali burners.

Nice. I’ve had my Beach Camper for 6 months now and haven’t used the pop hob. Would rather have the extra storage pockets now.

Did you add a rear camera?

Well worth adding the reversing camera and I don’t see a parking heater, definitely a must have IMHO. One thing I found to help out which I didn’t spec is the auto parking which got me into a space yesterday I was sure wouldn’t fit, but was the last parking space in a touristy spot.

What’s the comfort pack with comfort dash on the 6.1?

I think most people who buy Beaches have had Oceans first. You have to live with them for a bit to figure out the kitchen thing makes little sense for most people.
Nobody who currently has an Ocean is going to agree with you. I ordered an Ocean 4Motion last September which was written off by Listers Droitwich this June. In some ways fortuitous as I gradually realised during the 9 month wait that I really should have ordered a Beach but just couldn’t admit it to myself or anybody else! (family of 4 and a dog) we were never going to cook, wash up or drink from the tap in the van …and definitive wanted the bigger downstairs bed!

Last edited:
Nobody who currently has an Ocean is going to agree with you. I ordered an Ocean 4Motion last September which was written off by Listers Droitwich this June. In some ways fortuitous as I gradually realised during the 9 month wait that I really should have ordered a Beach but just couldn’t admit it to myself or anybody else! Was never going to cook, wash up or drink from the tap in the van …and definitive wanted the bigger downstairs bed!
I’m worried i’m in exactly the same boat as you.
Am I understanding right that the dealer wrote off your new van btw? can’t get my head around it

I’m worried i’m in exactly the same boat as you.
Am I understanding right that the dealer wrote off your new van btw? can’t get my head around it
I couldn’t believe it at the time either!!! Had to laugh at the incompetency. After they kept it for nearly 6 weeks after it arrived at the dealership because of PDI issues such as a tailgate that didn’t fit and faulty rear camera, I asked for it to be delivered. A driver put it on a trailer and ran it into a low bridge…. To cut a long story short, I couldn’t face doing any more business with Listers who were grossly disappointing in every aspect. Ordered a Beach Camper beginning of July with Eurovans Crawley. …Lightbulb moment = bought a Sea 2 Summit Campervan SIM for the downstairs bed in January, before the Ocean arrived. My wife laughed when she saw how small it was! (Matron)

Status
Not open for further replies.