Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean TSI 204 DSG - specification - Comments welcome

DaNish

DaNish

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have just specified our new (and first) California. We can adjust the list the next couple of weeks, so I just put it here to hear your opinions. In case I should change something. And a big thank you to all who has written a lot of great posts here, to help in the decisions.

Specs:
Ocean TSI 204 DSG Starlight Blue
ACC 160
LED front lights with light assist
Discover Media Plus
Noisereducing windows
Heated front screen
Side assist
Shower
Rear camera
Comfort plus lights in cabin
Security box
Foldable mirrors
Window in front of tent
Spare wheel
Denport alloy wheels

I am from Denmark so I might have used some wrong words, but hope you get it anyway.

For the danish residents: Ordered at VW Hillerød - good service by Michael Ilsø.

Did I miss anything or am I wasting money on something not needed? All comments and opinions welcome.

hi, to my mind the so called shower is a total waste of money. its just a bit of nonsense to call it a shower. who wants to wash in cold water. save your money on that bit. I fitted a better strong box for passports etc for £30 pounds so you can also save money there if need be.
Led lights are good to have and cost big money to fit after.
I found the 17 inch wheels to make the van rock and roll a bit 18 inch wheels are better. F

We ordered and don’t regret Larger fuel tank and 4 keys, both Both good value options ( in Ireland ) ?

Do you intend using the vehicle All Year round as a daily driver. If not then there is really no need for a Heated Front Screen. The Parking Heater will defrost the vehicle in 20 minutes and you have a warm vehicle.
Be aware if you specify 18” Wheels then you do not get a Spare nor the Spare wheel rack. You can purchase and fit the rack and buy a 17” steel wheel which with a suitable tyre can be used as a temporary Spare. Personally I find the 17” Wheels are more than adequate. Also if you are skiers and plan to use the vehicle to go on skiing trips you will have difficulty getting snow chains to fit 18”.
I agree the shower is not really worth the extra. You can get a shower attachment that will fit on the kitchen tap for occasional use.
The built in shower uses the same pump and water tank as the sink.

Parking sensors Front/Rear are extremely useful even with a camera fitted and more so than Lane Assist.

Thank you - great comments.

Shower: I intended it for cleaning muddy boots and such. But it is a silly price and I will follow your advice and remove it from the list.
Strongbox: It fits so nice in the cupboard and it is not too expensive, so I stick with the factory option.
Fuel tank: The TSI comes standard with the large tank (and the fuel consumption to match ito_O)
4 keys: Checked, it is a cheap way to have extra keys.
Heated front screen: It is the only car and for everyday use. And sometimes you have icy windows and didn't expect it. And I cannot see the car from the house and it is parked in the street.
Wheel size: I stick with 17" since I like a spare tyre and will use snow chains.
Parking sensors: I have included that. I agree it is very helpful.

What about privacy glass?

The standard windows with privacy glass are a medium tint - not so strong that it looks like a limo tint, but enough to give you a little privacy.

I'm not sure what you mean by noise reducing windows (if you know the option code it would be useful). Are these the laminated windows? I think that the glass is thicker for the laminated windows and that you might have some difficulty fitting wind deflectors (like dubflecta or heko). I'm also not sure what advantage you get from the laminated windows - they will be more secure, but only the front windows, and I don't feel that the Cali is noisy to drive. It might be quieter inside when you are parked up, until you open a window or pop the top.

There is some information about window options here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-glass-option-details-from-vwcv.12160/

We have the standard windows (double glazed in the living area) with the privacy option. I'm very happy with them, because I didn't want a very strong tint, but they look better than the windows with no tint. Some people prefer limo tint or no tint, it's a very personal preference.

Ours is also a daily driver, with no heated windscreen. Obviously your weather will be colder than mine in the UK, but I park off road, and using the remote to start up the heater is better for me than the heated windscreen. I had a heated windscreen on my last car (a Land Rover Discovery) and over time some of the elements stop working so it became almost worthless.

I would add the awning, I think it’s a lot more expensive to retrofit. Privacy glass is also a very popular option.

Thank you - great comments.

Shower: I intended it for cleaning muddy boots and such. But it is a silly price and I will follow your advice and remove it from the list.
Strongbox: It fits so nice in the cupboard and it is not too expensive, so I stick with the factory option.
Fuel tank: The TSI comes standard with the large tank (and the fuel consumption to match ito_O)
4 keys: Checked, it is a cheap way to have extra keys.
Heated front screen: It is the only car and for everyday use. And sometimes you have icy windows and didn't expect it. And I cannot see the car from the house and it is parked in the street.
Wheel size: I stick with 17" since I like a spare tyre and will use snow chains.
Parking sensors: I have included that. I agree it is very helpful.
I wouldn’t remove the shower
As you said it’s perfect for muddy boots dogs cooling down in the summertime
You may regret removing it for the 300 saving

Your opinion!
Have you got the vw shower???
No. I have the Shop kit for occasional use. The built in option is significantly overpriced for the components used and for occasional use just not worth it.
If you plan on using it very frequently and carrying water every trip you might think differently, but once the Kit adapter is fitted it can stay on so you just fit the hose. Less pipe connections and wiring to cause problems.
If the VW Option included a separate pump and tank might be worth £300 but not as it is.
Would be interesting to know how many who specked it actually use it, actually have water on board to use it when they want.:thumb

I have because I added the 18" and sold the factory 16" - rolling diameter is the same as higher profile tyres.
That’s because you thought ahead . Many don’t, spec 18” Wheels then realise no Spare.

No. I have the Shop kit for occasional use. The built in option is significantly overpriced for the components used and for occasional use just not worth it.
If you plan on using it very frequently and carrying water every trip you might think differently, but once the Kit adapter is fitted it can stay on so you just fit the hose. Less pipe connections and wiring to cause problems.
If the VW Option included a separate pump and tank might be worth £300 but not as it is.
Would be interesting to know how many who specked it actually use it, actually have water on board to use it when they want.:thumb
We use it all the time
Clean shoes in the boot
When it’s tipping down we get back open the boot with the remote (no getting in the van)clean off the dirt put on clean shoes put dirtys in the boot and get in..
also the tailgate stops you from getting wet while we’re doing it!!
No getting in the van dangling the shower through the side window then doing it in the rain .
But hey hats only my opinion I’m very happy we chose it :)

We use it all the time
Clean shoes in the boot
When it’s tipping down we get back open the boot with the remote (no getting in the van)clean off the dirt put on clean shoes put dirtys in the boot and get in..
also the tailgate stops you from getting wet while we’re doing it!!
No getting in the van dangling the shower through the side window then doing it in the rain .
But hey hats only my opinion I’m very happy we chose it :)
We just step into plastic over bags. Take boots off and put on shoes/trainers.
Have a boot cleaner at home. Boots already wet so see no reason standing around in the cold and rain just to turn muddy boots into wet/less muddy boots. £260 means about 1000 miles of travel.
My Opinion only.

We just step into plastic over bags. Take boots off and put on shoes/trainers.
Have a boot cleaner at home. Boots already wet so see no reason standing around in the cold and rain just to turn muddy boots into wet/less muddy boots. £260 means about 1000 miles of travel.
My Opinion only.
Chances are if your in the rain your boots will already be wet anyway!
If you would of got a shower in your van you wouldn’t of needed a boot cleaner at home ;) (joke)
Yep everybody got there own way of doing things and yours suits you so that’s good

The OP should, by now, be getting a small flavour of the typical option flame wars that we have on this forum!

I like the shower in the boot, just because it's gadgetty and integrated. It's likely no more or less functional than using the shower attachment on the tap. The boot shower comes with a shaped polystyrene tray to store the shower neatly in the base of the rear cupboard, but it doesn't fit the tray very well, which is a bit rubbish.

Brandrup make an expensive shower storage bag which probably works for both showers, if you want to spend more money.

I find all the different opinions very good for finding my own preference.
In Denmark I pay close to 900£ for the shower due to tax. So I go for plastic bags and see if I need more. If I were a surfer I might have chosen otherwise.

I have got the awning but forgot it on the list. I am not sure I will use it but as mentioned, it is much cheaper from the start.
Windows are called acoustic glass in Germany. Is supposed to lower noise with 6db. And I really value a quiet ride. I will find the correct code when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back