Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean TSI 204 DSG - specification - Comments welcome

Many cars these days dont carry a spare. My bmw for one which gives you a foam pack if needed. In over 46 years of motoring I have never changed a wheel on the side of the road. Also the spare tire on the van is so open to get ticked. You can also plump in the shower easy and far cheaper then what vw ask. But again dont see the need. Snow chains come in all sizes.F

The spare tire is not expensive. I have twice experienced valve problems and then the foam pack does not help. I agree it is not so often you have to change a wheel, but I prefer to be able to get going on my own, instead of waiting for assistance. It always happens in rainy weather in the middle of the night and in the middle of nowhere:Depressed
My choice is partly due to a lot of my trips will probably take me to northern Norway and Sweden. Distance to assistance is bigger there. In Denmark it is no problem.

I find all the different opinions very good for finding my own preference.
In Denmark I pay close to 900£ for the shower due to tax. So I go for plastic bags and see if I need more. If I were a surfer I might have chosen otherwise.

I have got the awning but forgot it on the list. I am not sure I will use it but as mentioned, it is much cheaper from the start.
Windows are called acoustic glass in Germany. Is supposed to lower noise with 6db. And I really value a quiet ride. I will find the correct code when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have the laminated glass in ours and the cab is very quiet whilst driving.

The order code for the windows are Z2C for the Ocean. For Coast it is Z2A.

If it helps I have that option, the laminated glass, and had no issues with the standard VW wind deflectors which were fitted by dealer.

Mike

And I really value a quiet ride.
A Cali is only a quiet ride when empty - once full of cutlery, crockery, pans and miscellaneous camping gear it is much easier to turn up the music than to hunt down every last rattle and squeak!

Edit: Of course you may have fewer pot holes in your well-maintained Danish roads!

A Cali is only a quiet ride when empty - once full of cutlery, crockery, pans and miscellaneous camping gear it is much easier to turn up the music than to hunt down every last rattle and squeak!

Edit: Of course you may have fewer pot holes in your well-maintained Danish roads!
We rented an Ocean Edition and it was nice and quiet and surpisingly little noise from all the kitchen gear. And I am crazy enough to go for even more quitness. I willl tell if I feel any difference when the van arrives in April.

You appear to have most things covered. Perhaps the HD anti-roll bars could be considered.
The shower attachment is expensive for what it is but if you need the functionality the it's worth paying as it is integrated into the van without the need to attach hoses to the tap.

We don't get any noise from the contents of the van apart from the hangers in the wardrobe. Road noise is the biggest problem and most of that is down to the road surface.

You appear to have most things covered. Perhaps the HD anti-roll bars could be considered.
The dealer did not find the HD anti-roll bars necessary. And I did not experience any problem in the van I rented last year.
But I was in doubt, so any experience with these is interesting?

I specified them in order to reduce the roll. I have no experience of what the ride would be like without them. From comments on other threads on this forum, the consensus appears to be that the Cali is more stable on cornering. I am sure other more experienced members will provide suitable comments.

I specified them in order to reduce the roll. I have no experience of what the ride would be like without them. From comments on other threads on this forum, the consensus appears to be that the Cali is more stable on cornering. I am sure other more experienced members will provide suitable comments.
Thank you - I looked into the other threads that I have not been aware of earlier. On the rental we had I experienced some roll when getting a bit fast into a curve. And since it is not very expensive and seem to have no disadvantage, I have added HD roll bars.

No. I have the Shop kit for occasional use. The built in option is significantly overpriced for the components used and for occasional use just not worth it.
If you plan on using it very frequently and carrying water every trip you might think differently, but once the Kit adapter is fitted it can stay on so you just fit the hose. Less pipe connections and wiring to cause problems.
If the VW Option included a separate pump and tank might be worth £300 but not as it is.
Would be interesting to know how many who specked it actually use it, actually have water on board to use it when they want.:thumb

I’m a surfer and mountain biker. Unless it’s way below zero I always carry water and wash boots and bikes at the back door. After surfing, I put the diesel heater on before I rinse with fresh water as I get out of my wetsuit, close the back door and jump into dry and warm up. I’m a big fan of the external shower. I’d rather not have to fit a shower to the kitchen tap.

I’m a surfer and mountain biker. Unless it’s way below zero I always carry water and wash boots and bikes at the back door. After surfing, I put the diesel heater on before I rinse with fresh water as I get out of my wetsuit, close the back door and jump into dry and warm up. I’m a big fan of the external shower. I’d rather not have to fit a shower to the kitchen tap.
So you have a use for the shower and use it on a regular basis so a reasonable option for you.
Still an expensive option if not used frequently.

So you have a use for the shower and use it on a regular basis so a reasonable option for you.
Still an expensive option if not used frequently.
I think you’re arguing with yourself?

I think you’re arguing with yourself?
Not at all. The OP has stated that with taxes the Shower Option in Denmark is almost £900 or possibly 900€. Would you have paid that?
I certainly would have thought twice if not more before splashing out that amount for something I only had occasional use for.
Vehicles are a lot more expensive in some European countries and I think it is only fair when asked for comments/opinions to give a proper analysis and any alternatives so that an informed decision can be made.
You might disagree and that is your prerogative.

Off to bed now and Bondi tomorrow. Bye.

I have the shower. Good for dogs, especially at the beach, stand them on a mat or towel, as I find lots of sand is a nightmare and gets everywhere. I also think the shower will be good for rinsing us off after the beach when we go to France ... I'm hoping if the weather is warm the water will be tepid rather than cold!
I also have the heated windscreen. I had it in my Skoda and loved it, so it was a must option on the van. In the frosty weather we have had, it melts the ice in seconds . No need for scraping or de-icer It is also good if there in condensation on cold mornings.
I wish I'd opted for the extra set of keys, as I'm terrible with keys.

1. It is important you choose whatever you want and cannot be installed after the cali leaves the factory.
2. Some options are very expensive but normally you will pay this amount with a loan with monthly payments.. this will not be the case if you buy it afterwards.
3. The car with all its factory options will be insured. I doubt anyone tells the insurance company their car has raised value because of options installed afterwards..In case of (total loss) accident or theft all the aftermarket options will probably not be insured.

I love all the arguments because that clarifies why some options are important to different people. And then you can choose for yourself what’s important to you.
Before I made my list I got a lot of information from other threads in this forum and now this discussion put the final details in place.
Most options are not about what is right or wrong, but what works for you.
I will now wait for delivery and put all the stuff to good use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask, and certainly not a criticism why four keys?
I didn’t bother with the extra keys as I’d never lost a vehicle key in my life. 4 months later on a powder day I found a pocket full of snow and no key. About £350 to get a new one and reprogrammed..... sigh.

Back