Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off grid and no solar panel - run engine to charge?

Sorry to jump onto this thread - I am looking to buy a Cali soon but at the moment drive a T5 Leisuredrive conversion - which although not a Cali is really nice. From what you've said my understanding is the fridge either works from the leisure battery or EHU; am I correct in thinking that? The reason I ask is that my fridge is 3 way 12V whilst driving, 240v when on EHU and gas when complete off the grid. I can therefore last a whole week easily without hook up as long as I have enough gas!
The built in California Ocean fridge runs purely on the 12v supply from the Leisure Batteries. When on Mains hookup the California Mains Charger charges the Leisure Batteries which power the Fridge. There is NO provision for any other power source such as Mains direct or Gas.

Ah ha - I see now. Thank you for this. Tell me do all Cali's have 2 leisure batteries plus the engine starter or how does it work. I can't afford a newish model so am looking for perhaps a good low miles 08 up to perhaps 10 reg. Will have a budget of approx 27k so assume spec needs to be SE/Ocean SE - still getting my head round specs.?

Ah ha - I see now. Thank you for this. Tell me do all Cali's have 2 leisure batteries plus the engine starter or how does it work. I can't afford a newish model so am looking for perhaps a good low miles 08 up to perhaps 10 reg. Will have a budget of approx 27k so assume spec needs to be SE/Ocean SE - still getting my head round specs.?
The California SE/Ocean have 3 batteries, 2 x Leisure ( 1 under passenger seat and 1 in the base of the rear wardrobe ) + the engine battery.

The California Beach , no kitchen, has 2 batteries, 1 x Leisure battery under passenger seat together with the engine battery.

as a rule of thumb everything in the cab runs from the Engine battery and everything behind the cab runs from the Leisure Batteries.
Fridge, hydraulic roof and Parking Heater run from Leisure Batteries.

Footwell lights and All electric sliding door ( if you have that ) run from Engine Battery. The Dashboard radio system also runs from Engine Battery and has a computer controlled 30 min shutdown if Ignition is OFF.

Fantastic - just what I was after. That's very kind of you so now the hunt continues. There are some nice ones in the classified section and one or two around the £27k region with some open to offers but I must sell our existing first which according to the original converters is still worth around £20k but as we all know it is only worth what the buyer is prepared to pay!

Have been reading the entire thread but am still left with questions. If anyone could help, that'd be great.

We bought our T5.1 SE 2011 about a year ago and had all batteries (1 car battery, 2 leisure batteries) replaced by VW at that time.

Have been camping a lot and almost always on EHU on camp sites and once a month for 24h at home.

We now find ourselves on a campsite with no EHU. A nice chance to see how long the leisure batteries last. We arrived 24h ago and the panel said 12.9V. We have since then only used the fridge (set to 4 and 5). The panel now reads 12.2V and 40%. I know the % cannot be trusted but Im really wondering if 12.2V after 24h worh just the fridge on is normal. And hope the decline in the coming days will be slower then it was from 12.9 to 12.2V. Otherwise we wont last 48h which seems too short when Ibread the threads of others experiences. Especially since our batteries are all new and well taken care of. Will the decline in V be slower after the beginning? (Also please ignore/delete my previous accidental post)

trouble is the volt reading is only accurate when there is nothing else using the battery than the voltmeter.

I think you may need to 'suck it and see' only then you will really know.

Have been reading the entire thread but am still left with questions. If anyone could help, that'd be great.

We bought our T5.1 SE 2011 about a year ago and had all batteries (1 car battery, 2 leisure batteries) replaced by VW at that time.

Have been camping a lot and almost always on EHU on camp sites and once a month for 24h at home.

We now find ourselves on a campsite with no EHU. A nice chance to see how long the leisure batteries last. We arrived 24h ago and the panel said 12.9V. We have since then only used the fridge (set to 4 and 5). The panel now reads 12.2V and 40%. I know the % cannot be trusted but Im really wondering if 12.2V after 24h worh just the fridge on is normal. And hope the decline in the coming days will be slower then it was from 12.9 to 12.2V. Otherwise we wont last 48h which seems too short when Ibread the threads of others experiences. Especially since our batteries are all new and well taken care of. Will the decline in V be slower after the beginning? (Also please ignore/delete my previous accidental post)

Interested to see how this develops !

So how do you explain my % number on the display?

I know the percentage figure is a little bit sketchy, but this seems to be very off ..541483FD-1E40-49C7-B64B-3B57289F3D84.jpeg

We'll ride it out and see what happens. Does anyone know by heart at which voltage we should worry about the batteries getting damaged/flattened e.g. really start to drive a bit?

We'll ride it out and see what happens. Does anyone know by heart at which voltage we should worry about the batteries getting damaged/flattened e.g. really start to drive a bit?
The fridge will switch off at 11.5 v automatically.

445B9425-7854-492A-9ADB-9B849868B8D7.jpeg

I would do a panel reset, with the panel on it should be -0.2a, could be a sign of earth shunt issue?
I have no idea what an earth shunt issue on a Cali (or any vehicle) is, but if MattBW recommends a solution, I’d give it a try :)

I would do a panel reset, with the panel on it should be -0.2a, could be a sign of earth shunt issue?

Thanks,
I did the panel reset and put the van on EHU,
The percentages and voltages seem to better align now.

Got a chance to drive the van today. The voltage on the control panel did increase to 12.9V and said 100% but dropped down fast the second I stopped. Dropped to 12.5 and said 50%. I drove for about 30 min. Stopped for a few hours and drove another 30 min.

Just now got a chance to hook the van up to EHU. It does show the hookup sign and the voktage increases, but only upto 12.9 and sometimes 13v.

This isnt normal is it? Could a fuse have been blown perhaps? We have seen quite some rain the last few days.

20200817_162617.jpg
These two at the leisure battery in thr back seem just fine. Note that I have 0 knowledge of electricity.

View attachment 64604
These two at the leisure battery in thr back seem just fine. Note that I have 0 knowledge of electricity.
I don’t know what those 2 fuses are for. They don’t appear on the California wiring diagram. There is one 50 amp fuse on the red +tve Pole of the rear Leisure Battery. If that has failed then you are running on 1 Leisure Battery only.

What are those fuses for? They are very high amperage . What are the wires connected to?

Good question. It just started pooring with rain. Thunderstorm. Will check as soon as I can. Right now the kids are sleeping in the lower bed thus can acces the battery compartment Previous owner did install an extra socket back there. In the battery compartment door. We never use it. Guess the fuses are for that. All the equipment is working fine. Will have it checked when we get back in a few weeks. For now constant EHU will have to be the solution. Just weird that it doesnt go over 12.9v when on EHU.

Good question. It just started pooring with rain. Thunderstorm. Will check as soon as I can. Right now the kids are sleeping in the lower bed thus can acces the battery compartment Previous owner did install an extra socket back there. In the battery compartment door. We never use it. Guess the fuses are for that. All the equipment is working fine. Will have it checked when we get back in a few weeks. For now constant EHU will have to be the solution. Just weird that it doesnt go over 12.9v when on EHU.
That sounds a possibility. There are 2 x 20 amp fuses, so are there 2 additional 12v sockets in the back. Normally only 1 socket on the opposite side of the boot as built by VW.

That sounds a possibility. There are 2 x 20 amp fuses, so are there 2 additional 12v sockets in the back. Normally only 1 socket on the opposite side of the boot as built by VW.
Sorry for the confusion @WelshGas . The previous (Belgian) owner built a 230v-looking socket (see photo) but when I measured it, it turned out it has 12V. So For some reason unknown to me he wanted a 'normal household socket' for 12V. Dunno why so after measuring it (with and without the van being connected to EHU) to make sure it wasnt dangerous, we decided to just leave it be and never use it. Maybe someday I'll replace it with a 12v-socket.

As far as the problem were having; for now we have reached a site where we can be on EHU. I will leave it on EHU for at least 24h and see what happens. Right now the co teol panel reads 13.2 while on EHU.

Hard to check things now because of the fact that we are on holidays now. Kids, activities, etc. But for now, since whave EHU we are ok. Seems a problem that needs checking out tough, because obviously something is wrong. When we get back from holidays I will have it checked out and will start a new thread so that the problem and solution will be available for others here. thanks so much for all the tips so far.

Back