Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off grid and no solar panel - run engine to charge?

Wow thats quiet an impressive output! What panels do you have that are 42v?
Have 2 fairly std 100w semi flexible panels stuck onto vinyl car wrap that’s put on the roof first to aid removal as roof work needed. Connected them in series as recommended by controller. Positioned them so space for a third if needs be.

78BBFDBA-9BFF-4404-90F9-D1A65537CD13.jpeg

Ahh i see, so they are in series which is why the voltage is higher. I've used our 120w at the weekend but as its not in use permanently its hard to see how well it performs. Tended to use it for 4 or 5 hours a day and see 170-190Wh, it got us back to full most days without much trouble. It tended to put out 5 or 6 amps, with a max of about 7amps. Not sure how close to good that is.

I also have a small battery capacity of just 80ah so it doesn't take long for it to start throttling back too.

Seriously tempted to get some permanently fitted at some point. :)

Ahh i see, so they are in series which is why the voltage is higher. I've used our 120w at the weekend but as its not in use permanently its hard to see how well it performs. Tended to use it for 4 or 5 hours a day and see 170-190Wh, it got us back to full most days without much trouble. It tended to put out 5 or 6 amps, with a max of about 7amps. Not sure how close to good that is.

I also have a small battery capacity of just 80ah so it doesn't take long for it to start throttling back too.

Seriously tempted to get some permanently fitted at some point. :)
Sounds about right this far north. Most I've ever seen is around 14A when they were producing about 220w in the Alps. When I fit them again I'll go 300w as will extend the bike charging season further into winter. Find permanently fitted also useful in good weather here as I leave the fridge on 24/7 full of drinks for impromptu gatherings. Popping open an ice cold bottle of fizz on the beach on the way home from work really is the dogs.

Have 2 fairly std 100w semi flexible panels stuck onto vinyl car wrap that’s put on the roof first to aid removal as roof work needed. Connected them in series as recommended by controller. Positioned them so space for a third if needs be.

View attachment 43938
That looks like a good set up, i like the stuck on ones,
i take it that the rain will run under the grooves in the roof.
Whats a ball park figure for getting something like that done.

Interesting thread ---

Can anyone explain the relative advantages/disadvantages of extra solar panels (e.g. @Skewif suggested going 300W) against getting an extra leisure battery?

(esp in a Beach with the paltry 75Ah leisure battery).

thanks

That looks like a good set up, i like the stuck on ones,
i take it that the rain will run under the grooves in the roof.
Whats a ball park figure for getting something like that done.
Yes rain goes under along the grooves. Parts about £330. Took me several hours to fit but a lot of that was finding routes that hide all the wires. Not sure who could fit this kind of setup for you. Maybe the roof track mounting ones may be best for you.

Not sure who could fit this kind of setup for you. Maybe the roof track mounting ones may be best for you.
Lol.o_O
If i did choose to have them i would defo have the ones you've got
and i would be fitting them myself.
Sorry for giving the impression that i am a muppet. :D

Lol.o_O
If i did choose to have them i would defo have the ones you've got
and i would be fitting them myself.
Sorry for giving the impression that i am a muppet. :D
I misinterpreted what you said. I took “Whats a ball park figure for getting something like that done” as done for you. My bad

Interesting thread ---

Can anyone explain the relative advantages/disadvantages of extra solar panels (e.g. @Skewif suggested going 300W) against getting an extra leisure battery?

(esp in a Beach with the paltry 75Ah leisure battery).

thanks
I guess it's storage vs production and very much depend on your vans seasonal usage, time off grid and power demands. If you camp for several days at a time without EHU in winter with no sun an extra battery might be better. If only really camp in summer then just adding solar could be a better option. I only want more because I have a very high demand all year round and maxing out the solar will mean I can go for longer when poor sun without the need to start the engine.

Running an engine at idle, especially a Diesel engine, without driving greatly extends the time needed to get the engine up to operating temperature. Most damage and wear to internal combustion engines happens when the engine is cold and heat has not yet caused internal moving parts to expand to fit correctly. This is why all manufacturers, including Volkswagen, recommend starting the engine and driving off GENTLY to get the engine up to operating temperature as soon as possible. Starting a cold engine and leaving it on idle to charge the battery is a recipe for early engine failure.

*unless you are at -5 or less, in which case the automatic auxiliary coolant heater will kick in and heat the engine. Those of you lucky enough to have the upgraded auxiliary coolant heater (not the parking heater, which is a separate machine) can turn this function on manually or program it with the timer to heat the engine coolant up quickly, no matter what the temperature. I find this function especially useful if I have camped in the mountains, the temperature is above -5, and my first morning drive is a long downhill grade. Without it the engine takes forever to warm up because it's not burning fuel, and driving with a cold engine ramps up wear and tear on internal parts. Note: the "rest" function is a third, unrelated function, using residual heat from the engine to run the heating system for 30 minutes only when the engine is turned off.

Even with my 40l fridge I can go 3 or 4 days with ease without solar in my beach. Using frozen water in bottles to reduce energy use we've done more than 5 days on a single charge.

More storage will take longer to charge so for me enough solar to return my modest battery to full each day is ideal.

The challenge is working out what you need as it will vary between seasons. 120w has been more than enough this weekend even after V accidentally left the slidepod lights on all night. In winter probably would need twice as much?

Even with my 40l fridge I can go 3 or 4 days with ease without solar in my beach. Using frozen water in bottles to reduce energy use we've done more than 5 days on a single charge.

More storage will take longer to charge so for me enough solar to return my modest battery to full each day is ideal.

The challenge is working out what you need as it will vary between seasons. 120w has been more than enough this weekend even after V accidentally left the slidepod lights on all night. In winter probably would need twice as much?
In Uk need something like 6 times the amount of solar compared to summer for same output. I tend to not stay put for very long in deep winter so can charge the big stuff when driving negating the need for much solar if any at all.

Yeah that's very true, a short drive will always put a lot back in, in fact its part of the reason we don't always use the solar panel. If we know we are going on a trip then we don't get it out.

Nice thread this. I have two 120W panels but I almost never seem they work hard at all keeping batteries topped up. It's almost like I would like to have something in the van taking much energy. I think I will try to get a 230V inverter to be able to charge my future e-bike, camera batteries, e-scooter batteris etc.
@Skewif It works wit ha 300w one? I really like a proper sinus inverter, but over 300w the price goes too high.

Yes, I went
Nice thread this. I have two 120W panels but I almost never seem they work hard at all keeping batteries topped up. It's almost like I would like to have something in the van taking much energy. I think I will try to get a 230V inverter to be able to charge my future e-bike, camera batteries, e-scooter batteris etc.
@Skewif It works wit ha 300w one? I really like a proper sinus inverter, but over 300w the price goes too high.

Hi @kave -- how do your panels perform in Winter in Sweden?

My Bosch E-mtb battery charges just fine using a 300w constant (peak 400w) cheapo Maplins inverter from the 90's. Used a power meter and the charger only uses max about 220w when battery is flat and much less as it fills. When it dies I will replace it with a pure sine wave one as it killed my electric tooth brush charging dock and my hand/stick blender runs real rough. Everything else I have I charge direct from 12v or USB to save having the inverter running. Recently bought this which helps charge a multitude of devices all at once, very useful if you're a gadget tart like me.

Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 12.58.16.png

My Bosch E-mtb battery charges just fine using a 300w constant (peak 400w) cheapo Maplins inverter from the 90's. Used a power meter and the charger only uses max about 220w when battery is flat and much less as it fills. When it dies I will replace it with a pure sine wave one as it killed my electric tooth brush charging dock and my hand/stick blender runs real rough. Everything else I have I charge direct from 12v or USB to save having the inverter running. Recently bought this which helps charge a multitude of devices all at once, very useful if you're a gadget tart like me.

View attachment 43967
Ahh @Skewif youll be needing one of these then.... https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/this-week-ive-bought-________-for-my-cali.17067/post-343321

Sorry to jump onto this thread - I am looking to buy a Cali soon but at the moment drive a T5 Leisuredrive conversion - which although not a Cali is really nice. From what you've said my understanding is the fridge either works from the leisure battery or EHU; am I correct in thinking that? The reason I ask is that my fridge is 3 way 12V whilst driving, 240v when on EHU and gas when complete off the grid. I can therefore last a whole week easily without hook up as long as I have enough gas!

Sorry to jump onto this thread - I am looking to buy a Cali soon but at the moment drive a T5 Leisuredrive conversion - which although not a Cali is really nice. From what you've said my understanding is the fridge either works from the leisure battery or EHU; am I correct in thinking that? The reason I ask is that my fridge is 3 way 12V whilst driving, 240v when on EHU and gas when complete off the grid. I can therefore last a whole week easily without hook up as long as I have enough gas!
Correct. Though a Cali with some solar and you can go off grid indefinitely and will be cheaper in the long run.

Back