Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off to Le Tour next July

Mart123blue

Mart123blue

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After years of talking about it, myself and a couple of friends are heading over to watch a few stages next year. We've identified the stages we want to watch and first job is book the crossings in early July.

At the moment euro tunnel don't seem to be on sale but Dover - Calais with P&O is coming out at £130 return with convenient crossing times. This seems reasonable and our instinct is to book now.

Are we missing anything?

Thoughts appreciated.

M

Expect to pay another £50 or so via ET (if booking as high vehicle......).

And that is £50 very well spent IMO for the hugely increased comfort and speed. Split three ways it's a small round each, each leg in a local bar next July. ;) If heading for the mountains get there very early.

Cheers bud, do you know when the tickets go on sale for ET?

We're taking 2 vans so it's a £100 either way but main priority is to get some bookings sorted.

Overall plan is to watch stages 4,6 and 8 over a week - arriving in the relevant area a day before the tour.

Cheers M

Mart
Been to the tour three years running now, all sailing overnight from Portsmouth. Expensive with cabin, but allows for landing early morning and heading south. Year before, Dordogne, lePuy (brilliant) and Paris, last year the start at
Noirmoutier (Brilliant), all factored with cycling holidays ourselves. As Max says, mountains get ther early! I'm sure you're have a great time
Andy
Forgot to say, this option saves mileage for me to ET

Have you seen the route this year, they've abandoned Western France.

Cheers bud, do you know when the tickets go on sale for ET?

We're taking 2 vans so it's a £100 either way but main priority is to get some bookings sorted.

Overall plan is to watch stages 4,6 and 8 over a week - arriving in the relevant area a day before the tour.

Cheers M

Not sure, maybe six months? I would not worry yet, even August is no problem with bookings a few months before but obviously the earlier the better for price and choice.

That’s where we are heading. Currently trying to locate a campsite near La Planche des Belles Filles.

We booked our ferry to Spain and am looking forward to another good session of Tour spotting in the Pyrenees

Campsite near Nancy booked for first couple of nights. I think the ET tickets go on sale in about a month so I need to sell this to my friend who prefers ferries...

Am I right in thinking that ET are more flexible re. Timings, i.e. If you turn slightly before or after your booking they will try and get you on the next train?

tour-de-france-2019-1.jpg

Tour de France 2019
The 2019 Tour de France will start on Saturday July 6th in Brussels, Belgium.
Click links for guides to the regions and towns in France through which the tour will pass. All stages now confirmed.

Stage Date Day’s route (towns, regions) and terrain Length in Km.
1st stage Sat 6th July Brussels - Charleroi - Brussels (Belgium) 192
2nd Stage Sun 7 July Time trials - Brussels (Belgium) 27
3rd Stage Mon 8 July Binche (Belgium) to Epernay (Champagne) 214
4th stage Tues.9th July Reims (Champagne) to Nancy (Lorraine) 215
5th stage Wed 10th July Saint Dié des Vosges (Lorraine) to Colmar (Alsace) 169
6th stage Thurs 11 th July Mulhouse (Alsace) to Planche des Belles filles (Franche-Comté)
7th stage Fri 12th July Belfort (Franche-Comté) to Châlon sur Saône (Burgundy) 230
8th stage Sat 13th July Macon (Burgundy) to Saint-Etienne (Rhône-Alpes) 199
9th stage Sun 14th July Saint-Etienne to Brioude (Auvergne) 170
Rest day Mon 15th July Saint-Flour (Auvergne) to Albi (Midi-Pyrénées) 218
10th stage Tues 16th July Rest day Albi
11th stage Wed 17th July Albi to Toulouse (Midi-Pyrenées) 167
12th stage Thur 18th July Toulouse to Bagnères (Midi-Pyrénées) 202
13th stage Friday 19th July Time trials - Pau (Aquitaine) 27
14th stage Sat. 20th July Tarbes to Col du Tourmalet (Midi-Pyrénées) 117
15th stage Sun 21st July Limoux to Foix (Languedoc) 185
Rest day Mon 22nd July Rest day - Nimes
16th stage Tue 23rd July Around Nimes 177
17th stage Wed 24th July Pont du Gard (Languedoc) to Gap (Alpes) 206
18th stage Thur 25th July Embrun (Alpes) to Valloire (Rhône-Alpes) 207
19th stage Fri 26th July Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne to Tignes (Rhône-Alpes) 123
20th stage Sat 27th July Albertville to Val-Thorens (Rhône-Alpes) 131
21st Stage Sun 28th July Rambouillet to Paris - Champs Elysées 127

Campsite near Nancy booked for first couple of nights. I think the ET tickets go on sale in about a month so I need to sell this to my friend who prefers ferries...

Am I right in thinking that ET are more flexible re. Timings, i.e. If you turn slightly before or after your booking they will try and get you on the next train?
Re flexibility it “depends”. Sorry but it’s not possible to be definitive. At busy times you are unlikely to get an earlier train due to lack of space. Also high vehicle carriages tend to be full in peak times. We’ve had situations where we’ve been put on earlier trains and on one occasion not allowed to check in because we were too early. As long as you don’t expect to be put on an earlier train you won’t be disappointed. Overall it’s a more pleasant (in our view) experience than a ferry). Cue lots of comments from ferry fans! Enjoy Le Tour.

Hi, We are heading to the Alps 19th 20th stage. Just sorting it all out, any tips would be great.

Quick update, we’re going on the ferry as it’s half the cost.

Hopefully the £250 saved will still buy a couple of kronenbourg come July.

:cheers

Quick update, we’re going on the ferry as it’s half the cost.

Hopefully the £250 saved will still buy a couple of kronenbourg come July.

:cheers
£250 saved?? What prices were you getting for ET in July, we normally get tickets about £80 each way in school hols if booking early.

Ok ferry booked for £164 which gives us 4 hrs flexibility either side of booked time. Campsites booked today although a bit of back and forth due to inability to book two pitches on the website.

Cannot wait and glad to have main items sorted now. We're going to do a Ridge Monkey challenge - I'm doing seafood paella, Gman risotto and Ian will probably opt for stroganoff.

Staying at Lac d Orient on final night.

Ok ferry booked for £164 which gives us 4 hrs flexibility either side of booked time. Campsites booked today although a bit of back and forth due to inability to book two pitches on the website.

Cannot wait and glad to have main items sorted now. We're going to do a Ridge Monkey challenge - I'm doing seafood paella, Gman risotto and Ian will probably opt for stroganoff.

Staying at Lac d Orient on final night.
That’s so7nds a good summer challenge for everyone, a ridgemonkey challenge think that deserves its own thread

Ok only about a month until the off now so starting to think about nitty gritty items.

Is anyone aware of a California specific kit I can buy for France with the correct bulbs, headlamp deflectors etc?

I know I could piece it together, but I'd prefer to buy off the shelf - The RAC do one for £25, but I don't think I want universal bulbs etc.

As always any advice gratefully received.

Cheers M

p.s. did a trial run of paella whilst we were at Highlands End over Bank Holiday. It went well but needed a big pan for 4 portions.

paella.JPG

I brought a complete bulb set from just kampers came complete with spare fuses

Thanks Jeff, I’ve just ordered a set and some breathalysers.

Couple of Photos of the Sprint finish in Nancy. We were at the 250m marker. Currently at the top of Col Du Ballon D’Alsace. Only 4 hrs until they come through

9D1CEB15-7C3F-4377-83BF-954BF70D5743.jpeg

7F90330A-3AA2-4358-A52B-EBB226AFBF6F.jpeg

40197BD3-C722-492D-A5D5-345145051F46.jpeg

A4229B14-F10A-4C17-B4FB-9358F109C2A8.jpeg

Back