Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oh no, what do i do. Dieselgate is ruining my dreams and plans?

I just took delivery of a fully electric work van (Nissan).
Max range, just over 100 miles.
Had the heating on and radio and killed the battery with just 45miles.

Not going to make any judgements yet.
:sorry
well I suppose it depends on how far you live from skegness

well I suppose it depends on how far you live from skegness

Why would anyone go Skegness...?
:D

It’s a weird vehicle. Pretty rapid acceleration.
Most people talk about nice a quiet electric vehicle would be. But they aren’t really that quiet.
It makes a whirling and whooshing noise, which is probably louder than a lot of modern diesel cars...???

Trying to keep an open mind about this vehicle as it’s possibly the future of driving in some sorts.

My car is electric (an i3) and I love it. Pretty much all of my charging is from renewable sources. It does have a small onboard range-extender generator (650cc) and a couple of gallons of petrol, which can take you further if you need more range or are in too much of a hurry to use a public charger. This is, at present,a great combination... so much simpler than a full hybrid (because the petrol bit never drives the wheels). Almost all my driving is pure electric and powered by Scottish rainfall :) I use a little petrol about twice a month, but, in the two and a half years I've had it, I reckon I've averaged over 1000 mpg.

So, considering buying a Cali, I'd love it if there were at least a hybrid version. But if there were, I probably couldn’t afford it!

They reckon that it'll be about 5 years before electric cars are cheaper than their petrol equivalents. I wonder how long it’ll take for larger vehicles like a T6...

Commercial vehicles, especially vans, are the important class of vehicles. Cars less so. People can always walk, cycle or take public transport and cars can be kept out of cities if needed. But commercial vans of all sizes are the backbone of business of all sorts.

We have decided to take a good serious look at larger vehicles like the HymerCar Grand Canyon S (based on the Mercedes Sprinter). If the accessibility of the Cali is to be curtailed, might as well go for something bigger with a shower/loo that is still some way short of a large traditional motorhome. These are hitting the UK roads this month.

I agree that diesel is going to be around for a long time. The only real inpact I can see is that it will get more difficult and expensive to get into town and city centres everywhere, especially now that government has passed responsibilty to local councils who will just see it as a money maker. BUT, how many of us actually take the Cali into city centres, why would you unless you live there.

I agree that diesel is going to be around for a long time. The only real inpact I can see is that it will get more difficult and expensive to get into town and city centres everywhere, especially now that government has passed responsibilty to local councils who will just see it as a money maker. BUT, how many of us actually take the Cali into city centres, why would you unless you live there.
I always disabled city and fast motor ways on my sat nav when touring
For me a much more pleasurable way of traveling if you have the time
City’s are not what I got my California for !

Alan

Ironically there was a song by Public enemy in 1988 “don’t believe the hype”

First we were told to ditch petrol,and convert to diesel, tax was increased on petrol, majority of people convert to diesel, tax rise for diesel.

Government still recommend diesel cars !!!!

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/960587/diesel-car-UK-buy-government-ban-2040

Fuel companies, motor companies and a Miriad of other companies are inextricably linked by multi billion pound businesses, governments want taxes, employment etc.

Just saying

stop drinking, smoking, fornicating, eating meat, driving your diesel cars and vans, using electric and generally enjoying youself you selfish lot, don’t you know we’ve got kids and future generations of politicians who would like to have a go at cocking it all up.

Back