Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Collecting my T6.1 tomorrow... what would YOU do?

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all,
This is, I know a very 'high class' problem and so aware that many will be suffering terribly for all sorts of reasons now and in the future...However, we are due to pick up and pay oodles for our Cali Ocean tomorrow... very aware of the economic shifting sands and uncertainty generally, so many considerations, not least being told there is going to be a run on diesel. We have talked about whether we should even consider putting our imminent purchase on hold until the climate becomes clearer, but still pretty sure we should go ahead and collect, enjoy our new Cali, being mindful of coming into contact with others. I would be interested to know what others would do, in our place. house is small and paid for and have just enough coming in, The Cali is taking up practically all of our savings, but we still felt happy to go on with the commitment. Neither of us is in the 'at risk' category btw. thanks.

Tricky one. Can you ‘kick the can down the road’ by declaring yourself in lockdown and saying you hope to be able to come for it two weeks. We will know a lot more then, even if things are much worse,

Hi all,
This is, I know a very 'high class' problem and so aware that many will be suffering terribly for all sorts of reasons now and in the future...However, we are due to pick up and pay oodles for our Cali Ocean tomorrow... very aware of the economic shifting sands and uncertainty generally, so many considerations, not least being told there is going to be a run on diesel. We have talked about whether we should even consider putting our imminent purchase on hold until the climate becomes clearer, but still pretty sure we should go ahead and collect, enjoy our new Cali, being mindful of coming into contact with others. I would be interested to know what others would do, in our place. house is small and paid for and have just enough coming in, The Cali is taking up practically all of our savings, but we still felt happy to go on with the commitment. Neither of us is in the 'at risk' category btw. thanks.
Why would there be a ‘run’ on diesel. There’s nothing moving, this morning the roads around here were deserted.

Why would there be a ‘run’ on diesel. There’s nothing moving, this morning the roads around here were deserted.
I went swimming earlier this morning and one of the other 3 people in the pool, when i told him about the Cali for tomorrow advised me to fill up asap as said he had heard via his 'MOD' contacts that this was on the cards.... I have no idea why though.

Hi all,
Agree we need to be sensitive as this is an extremely first-world problem. However...

We are still waiting for our new T6.1 Ocean to move from Germany to the UK, but it should be here in a few weeks. Obviously the health of our family is our primary concern, and the general populace, but we also need something to look forward to as we will get through this, eventually, as unlikely as it might feel right now.

So we have had the same discussion. If we had our Cali right now we would be taking the kids to the beach for the day, or go biking in Thetford Forest. All self-contained, keep our distance from others etc. We might even be able to manage a night away and get some respite from this awful situation we are all faced with. We had already ring-fenced the money and if we lose our jobs and really needed to recover the money from the Cali quickly, then fine drop the price we paid by £5k or £10k but we would recover the vast majority of it.

We do need something to look forward to so we will be going for it. As with the eternal debates about colour and wheel choices, ultimately only you guys can decide what is right for you.

....and now that we are working from home + no school from Friday , its guaranteed that there will be no surf on the South Coast for few months! Looks like lots of dog walking & biking over the Sussex Downs instead.

The next panic buy will be cheap laptops / chromebooks etc for Kids home school as parents fight over the household resources.

Agree we need to be sensitive as this is an extremely first-world problem. However...

We are still waiting for our new T6.1 Ocean to move from Germany to the UK, but it should be here in a few weeks. Obviously the health of our family is our primary concern, and the general populace, but we also need something to look forward to as we will get through this, eventually, as unlikely as it might feel right now.

So we have had the same discussion. If we had our Cali right now we would be taking the kids to the beach for the day, or go biking in Thetford Forest. All self-contained, keep our distance from others etc. We might even be able to manage a night away and get some respite from this awful situation we are all faced with. We had already ring-fenced the money and if we lose our jobs and really needed to recover the money from the Cali quickly, then fine drop the price we paid by £5k or £10k but we would recover the vast majority of it.

We do need something to look forward to so we will be going for it. As with the eternal debates about colour and wheel choices, ultimately only you guys can decide what is right for you.
thanks for your view. We agree with you and are 99% sure we are ready to proceed. Just wanted to air on the forum for the always useful feedback, and your post is of encouraging nature. just a bit wobbly as biggest one off spend have made EVER ! I will post when I have her safely home tomorrow.

thanks for your view. We agree with you and are 99% sure we are ready to proceed. Just wanted to air on the forum for the always useful feedback, and your post is of encouraging nature. just a bit wobbly as biggest one off spend have made EVER ! I will post when I have her safely home tomorrow.
Apart from our house it will be the biggest spend we will ever make as well. But we have already been through the "what a HUGE amount of money" debate which is rationalised by the fact that we would recover the vast majority of the money, even in these uncertain times - others can debate the exact percentage in these times, I am not interested in that one.

If you don't like we will buy it from you in a week whilst ours is still in Germany!

Pick up a new van tomorrow at a cost of say £60k, drive off the forecourt and hope it’s still worth £35k...?
Sorry, it would be an easy decision for me to make...

I went swimming earlier this morning and one of the other 3 people in the pool, when i told him about the Cali for tomorrow advised me to fill up asap as said he had heard via his 'MOD' contacts that this was on the cards.... I have no idea why though.
Sounds like scaremongering, our roads are practically deserted.
If it was us we would go for it, as soon as restrictions relax you’d be ready to roll.

Even if you can’t go away in it, it’s useful as a day van. NT parks and gardens are now free to visit, though the cafe might be closed. If you take the Cali, you’ve got your own cafe and you are not mixing within anyone whilst you are drinking and eating.

Last edited:
Hi all,
If your buying to use the van lots and look to keep it for a fair amount of time then go for it

Maybe I don't get it, but what's the problem? When corona is under control (even if it might take a long time) you have a nice Cali to use. In the meantime, you will have a nice Cali to use also. And if it won't be under control and the world comes to and end, you probably won't worry about your Cali.

Only you can answer that. I've had an email from a bike dealer selling bikes at cost. Whilst I'm not looking for a bike its interesting to note that some bikes have a 33% premium.

Not in my lifetime, I'll be 48 next week, has there been a greater reminder that our time here is finite.
Looking forward to seeing those photos of your lovely new Cali tomorrow. We all need some cheering up, please!!!!

There is of course the legal problem, you have entered into a contract with the dealer to purchase the vehicle at a particular price. You cannot just walk away from the contract, the dealer could pursue you for the purchase price. If the price has dropped, alternatively he could sell the vehicle for the best price he can and pursue you through the courts for the difference. It is not just a matter if losing your deposit unfortunately.

Carry on, buy it love it and enjoy it. Don't worry about the residuals if prices drop they will bounce back especially if you had intended to keep it for number of years..

Just read from the german ministry for nutrition, how they advise to have food for 10 days at home for emergencies, gas bottles with camping stoves should there be a shortage of gas for cooking or a power shortage. Fridges won't work without power. Also an adequate supply of water.
I look outside the window , my Cali parked there and I think.... I got it all covered, gas, water, fridge, heating, food, power from 150ah battery + solar+inverter and a full tank to get 500 miles away if i need.
There is no better time to own a Cali if you ask me.

Well we picked up ours on the 2nd of March
used it straight away the wknd after pick up ..
Had a great wknd away
Love the lounge feature me and the wife was lounging in our new California with the music on and beers & wine flowing...
And now I keep going out sitting in it it just makes me smile..
Times like these we all need something to smile about :)

Just go and collect the van. Just don't shake hands or stay too long in other's company.
Don't accept a walkthrough, you will find enough here to answer your questions (if you don't find them in the manual).
And while you can't go away, get in your van on your driveway and try to find everything out.

Sad times now, so you will need something to cheer you up.
And don't forget to post pictures of it!!

Back