Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

umm... 'roof bungee' what exactly is it and why do i need one?

We are on our third Cali and have never used a Bungee and never felt the need for one as Granny Jen said nip out and have a look. I always put the roof away on my own and use the nip out method even a couple of times if needed.
No need to get out of the van, just stand in the cab, put your head up through the hatch and keep an eye from the inside as the roof comes down.

reading through all the help and advice, i think we will be mindful of this and esp vigilant when shutting the top prior to getting a bungee as it seems it may not be required for the new ocean. thanks all. jill (now thinking about 'inverter' ha ha)

No need to get out of the van, just stand in the cab, put your head up through the hatch and keep an eye from the inside as the roof comes down.
I like to sit in the drivers seat then nip out, after all my door is open anyway. Its the method I adopted on the first van and works for me. We have a storage bag thing between the seats so cant stand there, but if it works for you great. Its all about not cutting the bellows :thumb

Why would you not fit one ? I have read quite a few posts on here where people thought they did not need one then trapped the bellows and then purchased one. Let's face it, they are not expensive and a new bellows is £700

Just ask nick at Comfortz he will tell you

As above.

With the electric roof there is possibility that on lowering the bellows could blow out trapping the canvas in the scissor mechanism, which could leave a hole in the fabric and a small bump in the aluminium roof.

This event can be mitigated against by ensuring a window or door is open on the lee side to allow the air being squeezed out as the bellows closes to escape out of the van. The bungee is designed to complement the closure design by pinching the sides in.

I personally, and this is me and not a general rule, advocate a mark one eyeball approach. When the roof is about 3/4 lowered just leap out and look along the length of both sides to ensure no fabric is trapped. It only takes a few seconds.
You can watch it come down from the inside if you shove your head up while it’s on the way down . But it’s always better to be safe than sorry and someone on the outside as well is best practice...

You can watch it come down from the inside if you shove your head up while it’s on the way down . But it’s always better to be safe than sorry and someone on the outside as well is best practice...

I've never felt happy with that. Always a chance of a rogue bit blowing out just as the scissors are coming closed and you can no longer see the length.

For the sake of ten seconds hopping out of the drivers seat, nipping to the back, and just looking along the line of the vehicle gives me that comfort.

Each to their own. I've only ever had it happen once and that was the once and only I never jumped out :sad

I've never felt happy with that. Always a chance of a rogue bit blowing out just as the scissors are coming closed and you can no longer see the length.

For the sake of ten seconds hopping out of the drivers seat, nipping to the back, and just looking along the line of the vehicle gives me that comfort.

Each to their own. I've only ever had it happen once and that was the once and only I never jumped out :sad
yep thats what I said......

Has the front panel that unzips made of mesh or mesh insert or is it solid material.
Its solid, with bars sewn into the material running horizontal, its also got the eyebrow opening flap. I am impressed with the new canvas it just seems a better quality and seems to want to fold in as designed every time, even when windy. But its advisable to still check.

It was suggested to me that in normal circumstances the bungee wouldn’t be needed on a new Cali .. but if you were planning trips in the wilds of Wales or Scotland with the wind whipping up, you might be glad of it. You probably wouldn’t be opening the front window - you’ll be snuggled up with the heater on! ... and you might want the extra security if the bungee when it comes to putting the top down. They are not expensive and they don’t take up any space, so I now have one in my ‘Cali-kit’ and I plan to put it on - or pop it in my Cali-garage drawer just in case - before I head into the North York Moors in November.

It was suggested to me that in normal circumstances the bungee wouldn’t be needed on a new Cali .. but if you were planning trips in the wilds of Wales or Scotland with the wind whipping up, you might be glad of it. You probably wouldn’t be opening the front window - you’ll be snuggled up with the heater on! ... and you might want the extra security if the bungee when it comes to putting the top down. They are not expensive and they don’t take up any space, so I now have one in my ‘Cali-kit’ and I plan to put it on - or pop it in my Cali-garage drawer just in case - before I head into the North York Moors in November.
You have to remember that a bungee is definitely not a promise that you won’t trap your canvas in the mechanism.....Even with a bungee you have to follow the procedures that are laid out....With a bungee it gives you a start by pulling the canvas in a bit but things CAN still go badly wrong if the windows are not open as there is nowhere for the descending roof to get rid of the air that is inside the van. Either 2 windows or the side door open is about what is needed...

Yep, got all that ...SOPs + bungee for the autumn/winter forays.

yes, that's what i have.
We have the new Ocean, with the full opening front. We do use a bungee, yes it does give a line across the opening, but the added reassurance of helping to bring in the bellows should there be a gust of wind has been helpful for us, though we do still check each time we put the roof down. As always it’s personal choice

Personally I think a Bungy is a good investment. True, you don't need one but to have one is a "catch all". That said it is not a replacement for being alert when you put your pop up roof down but should limit the risk of getting your canvas caught in the scissor mechanism.
It happened to us, due tp strong winds while lowering the roof, the canvas at the rear was caught by the mechanism the damage was there we coul repair it. So from that moment we have fitted the bungy.. and it works flawless for us. Please note if you are not using the pop up roof it is recommending to remove the bungy.

It happened to us, due tp strong winds while lowering the roof, the canvas at the rear was caught by the mechanism the damage was there we coul repair it. So from that moment we have fitted the bungy.. and it works flawless for us. Please note if you are not using the pop up roof it is recommending to remove the bungy.
As the saying goes....Once bitten twice shy......

can you tell me where exactly you fix it? or will it be obvious when we get our vehicle. we are hiring one in couple weeks so will see what they supply when we take it out. thanks.

can you tell me where exactly you fix it? or will it be obvious when we get our vehicle. we are hiring one in couple weeks so will see what they supply when we take it out. thanks.
I found the easiest way of fitting was to open the roof a foot or so. Tie a length of cord to one end of bungee and thread it around the canvas of the roof, on the inside of the lifting mechanism. Use the cord to pull the two ends of the bungee together and join using the olive cleat. Once you operate throw the bungee will find its own position.

ok. i see where it goes from the photo. I had no clue until then!

I keep seeing references to a roof bungee and think this is a tool to assist with bringing the roof down? can you describe it and how it works please. have picked up that you need to open window before closing the top? ALSO think we may need wheel ramps and or chocks? what is the difference in use of these two items and can should we consider both ? (not going to get them yet mind,) I must join the VIP section and get access to info that is not otherwise available on here.
Regards levelling blocks / chocks, we always take ours with us. I find I sleep much better if the van is flat so first job arriving on any site is choosing pitch and positioning / levelling van. A small spirit level lives in the van to help me get it level L to R as well as F to B. Almost all van owners seem to use them on sites which are not flat. Sometimes the adjustment is small (one block on one wheel on first level) and once recently I actually had to improvise an additional foundation (boost in height) for one of the blocks. They cost between £10 & £35. The ‘chocks’ aspect seems to relate to some versions that have an addition small chock that sits behind the raised wheel so it ‘cannot’ move. We don’t have that version and have found the std Fiamma levelling blocks perfectly good when ever needed on our 90 nights away.

One can always wait for that odd gust of wind which, while you were checking inside AND out, gets the rod caught in the scissors so that it snaps, and THEN buy and attach the bungee. Like we did, clever people that we are...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I also bought one of the bungees to go around the canvas but have never used yet but carry it incase of windy day when closing. Reason I haven’t fitted it as worried that over time it will cause more harm than good as it sits on the same part of the canvas at all times so will eventually damage it with repeated opening and closing.

I also bought one of the bungees to go around the canvas but have never used yet but carry it incase of windy day when closing. Reason I haven’t fitted it as worried that over time it will cause more harm than good as it sits on the same part of the canvas at all times so will eventually damage it with repeated opening and closing.

When the roof is closed there is no pressure on the bungee, you will see it go slack and drop down the canvas as you close the roof.