Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil change due but not service

If it's actually checking the "quality" of the oil..... Why doesn't it alert again soon after a reset (without oil service, just a reset?)
This has been puzzling me as well. As you have said, with the oil in the same condition it should just chirp up with another oil service request straight away. However, if that were the case why would VW Commercial garages be suggesting a simple reset? There must be more to this.

If it's actually checking the "quality" of the oil..... Why doesn't it alert again soon after a reset (without oil service, just a reset?)
Maybe it does/will.
On my T5.1, it takes about 5 to 700 miles before it shows Miles to Oil Change value following a Service Reset.

I was in VW Van Centre last week, for recall / replacements of fuel hoses. The oil service was reading -200 and was reset, now reading 12,400 miles to go. Will keep an eye on it. I've 32,000 miles on my Cali now, 15x months old. Oil was changed at ~17,000 miles. I'll want it changed again at 40,000 miles even if the MFD doesn't want it done by then.

:Iamsorry But I don’t follow your argument with regards to disabling the Coast function to improve Brake wear.
With Coast engaged as soon as you need to slow, just touching the Brake Pedal activates the Brake Switch . This happens before the Brakes Hydraulics are engaged so no braking at all. Activation of the Brake Switch de-activates the Coast function and enables engine braking automatically.
Very well, but I’m not sure that most other people on this forum know that, and will brake as normal as they feel the vehicle is free wheeling, hence using the breaks more.

Very well, but I’m not sure that most other people on this forum know that, and will brake as normal as they feel the vehicle is free wheeling, hence using the breaks more.
I think most people with a DSG are fully up to speed on the coast function and how to obtain engine braking. Some argue that that using the manual function gives more control but most of the time it is not necessary.

On the DSG, Sports Mode which is useful in hilly country, or Manual Mode disables the Coast Function as does switching on Cruise Control.

If VW Commercial garages are just reseting the oil service indicators because, in their opinion, vehicles on the Long Life service regime have indicated too early, then surely they're likely to indicate and receive their first oil service at a point beyond the Long Life oil service parameters. In your case at around 24000 miles.
The VW Long Life regime states a maximum of around 20,000 miles between oil changes.
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/content/owners/Longlife_servicing.pdf
If the vehicle is indicating that it needs a Long Life oil change at 12000 miles then I would also ask for it to be carried out. The above policy attachment states that LL oil services can occur as early as 9000 miles!
Thanks Borris - great info , I just rang VW technical HQ , I thought I would see what the 'horses mouth 'says and they say RESET ... hahahhah - who or what is right ???

Similar story re oil changes on 204 bhp 4Mot. I bought 'two oil change plan' and thought it would last 40000 miles but oil service light came on about 12000 miles. Levels were down a bit …
xxx
Tyres were changed to All Season at 25000 miles.

Interested in your change to all seasons tyres … what make & how have you found them?

Interested in your change to all seasons tyres … what make & how have you found them?

Hi Mike, Good Year Vector 4 season, I’ve found them good in snow, boggy fields and also wet (although never took the last tyres to limit in latter), enhances the 4 motion and probably all you need if you have 2 wd for almost all conditions. Some say no loss in mpg but I think I’ve lost 1-2 mpg which would tie in with fact the rubber is sticking better. No tyre swaps to think about / store etc, when they wear out I’ll get the same tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All

My Ocean, which is on long life oil and long service intervals ( June 2017 ) has done nearly 10,000 miles and it says its due an oil change in 2500 miles .

I mentioned this to Eurovans Crawley (as its going in for some guarantee work to change the tap sensor next month ) and they said it isnt due, as its on the long life cycle , and it's just the light coming on and it needs to be reset that's all.

Just wondering does any one have any similar experiences to share ?

Cheers
I had more or less the same with my ocean first oil service has been done after 18k miles, now waiting for first full service : dealer says to wait until car warns me .. whatever is the distance or time interval.

Hi Mike, Good Year Vector 4 season, I’ve found them good in snow, boggy fields and also wet (although never took the last tyres to limit in latter), enhances the 4 motion and probably all you need if you have 2 wd for almost all conditions. Some say no loss in mpg but I think I’ve lost 1-2 mpg which would tie in with fact the rubber is sticking better. No tyre swaps to think about / store etc, when they wear out I’ll get the same tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. Yes, on my last 07 Cali I went with the tyre hotel system but on the Skoda Scout dsg I’m pxing for an 08 Cali I switched out the standard OEM tyres for Nokian Weatherproofs which got great reviews and at the time, Jan 2016, were best in snow. They’ve a relatively blocky tread which apart from excellent road going characteristics did very well on muddy wet slippery grass.
The 08 Cali is on 16” wheels and shod with new Vreidestein winter tyres, once these are finished I’ll be looking to replace with all seasons & poss 17” or 18” rims. Hey ho!

Back