Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

One Pot Meal Idea's

LisaKent

LisaKent

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are looking for some idea's for simple one pot meals to do in the Cali or on the outside stove, normally look for campsites near a pub but we decided on our next weekend away we will cook!

So, idea's please? Minimum prep please

Tin of stewing steak, tin of new potates, tin of peas put altogether in a pan heat until hot, job done. Tin of peaches or if you're feeling exotic pineapple rings for pudding.
Thats our emergency always kept in the Cali meal.

+1 for the stew/potato/pea idea. Stag stewing steak is not bad, even got the seal of approval from my other half who is quite fussy about meat.

Another easy one is packets of savoury rice - just add water :)

We noticed a couple of ranges in the supermarket of pouches (ambient temp- long dates) some from Jamie Oliver like spicy chickpeas and another range with chicken korma, meatballs etc. Anyway, we took a selection to Scotland last week and used a couple to beef up some homemade soup that lasted for the first few days. Admittedly we brought most of it home as we couldn't resist the pull of lovely fish pubs/restaurants... but they do seem an ok idea.

Pasta and a jar of sauce! We have this nearly every night when away - our record is 9 nights on the trot, but some nights we did add frozen peas :eek:

Pasta and a jar of sauce! We have this nearly every night when away - our record is 9 nights on the trot, but some nights we did add frozen peas :eek:

Had to re read that as first time around I thought it was 9 nights then got the trots.

I did wonder about that even as I typed.....:)

Pasta and pesto. Cook pasta, drain add pesto. If you want to be adventurous add some ham or chorizo and cream cheese or cream as you like.

There's a lot of good ideas from replies to my thread here: http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cooking-food.10204/

Here's a couple of easy courses for any veggies;
Cube an aubergine, and fry gently in plenty of olive oil until lightly browned, soft and oily.
Add a tin of chick peas, a tin of baked beans, and a tin of chopped tomatoes, and gently stew until you are ready. Add some chilli if you like. Serve with any veg steamed or boiled, or a salad, or just bread, or rice, or even nothing!

My "Quick Camper Crumble";
Stew some fruit with a little sugar - use whatever you can get, or pick - apples, blackberries, gooseberries, any combination (or even tinned peaches etc)
Crumble three or four luxury soft cookies over the top (Stem ginger ones are great)
Pour over ready made custard.
This is delicious. Try it!

Broccoli, runner beans, peas, spinach and kale (anything green!) boiled up altogether and a bag of spinach gnocchi dropped in for the final couple of minutes; drain and serve (or eat out of the pan to save on washing up :D).

That's certainly reduced the number of pots to 1.
Now we need to reduce the number of ingredients to 1 :veryfunny

lol that makes me smile as thats what we have always done , take tons , come back with tons but eat out all time when we swear we wont :) :)

We noticed a couple of ranges in the supermarket of pouches (ambient temp- long dates) some from Jamie Oliver like spicy chickpeas and another range with chicken korma, meatballs etc. Anyway, we took a selection to Scotland last week and used a couple to beef up some homemade soup that lasted for the first few days. Admittedly we brought most of it home as we couldn't resist the pull of lovely fish pubs/restaurants... but they do seem an ok idea.

Make a vat of spaghetti bol before you go, cook your pasta (I use fresh) then stir in half the bol sauce to heat through. Next night add a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce to the other half, when bubbling add a pouch of rice. Two easy home cooked meals!

Pasta,rice and jar sauces I alway Cariey as backup
My latest favorite is I fry a few onions (window open,roof up) steam or boil a few potatoes chuck in some mix veg while that's cooking open up a tin of corn beef add what you want with the onions in the frying pan,drain the veg and pots.,and that goes into the pan,then I decide weather to add pasta sauce or curry paste
The dog loves it when I do this dish because she gets the rest of the beef mixed up in her kibble
......Ok whose going to suggest the dog gets the whole meal

On our first camp out of the year (shocking I know but work has got in the way). Just had a one pot dinner of tinned chicken jalfrezi with pouch of wholemeal micro rice (rice thrown in pot with curry to warm through). Took all of 5 mins to heat up. Now relaxing with a nice glass of red and listening to the birds tweeting. :thumb

I have a vw camper cookbook in my van.....unused! M&S can supply weekend food easier...even steamed a moussaka, it worked! That was exotic...usually salad and smoked salmon for me!

Anyway, we took a selection to Scotland
If you go to Scotland, try the tinned Curried Haggis. We bought some last time we went and been looking for it everywhere since we came home, but Sassenach supermarkets don't seem to stock it :(

If in Scotland, just go to the chippie.....Bridge of Allan has the best! And does a great haggis supper, and delicious ice cream!

If you go to Scotland, try the tinned Curried Haggis. We bought some last time we went and been looking for it everywhere since we came home, but Sassenach supermarkets don't seem to stock it :(

Have never tried curried haggis and I'm a Scottish lassie

Bigos, of course !!!

And
- Boeuf bourguignon
and
- Gulash

Not quite a one pot meal but tonight's dinner was pre-cooked bolognaise with pasta cooked in the van.
.image.jpg

Back