Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opinions on a new curly cable type wanted

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I've got an option to change the type of curly cable I offer on our solar panel kits. What do you think? I've laid them down with the amount of stretch you would normally have with the roof down , not up. When stretched the new larger one doesn't look a great deal different to below.

The current type is shiny and has 2mm square cable. It retracts to its original shape.

The new type is more rubberised, is bigger, and stays more "open" It has 2.5mm square cores. It still returns to the size I specify it, just in an "open" fashion. The voltage advantage is very very small, so it's about aesthetics really.

2021-02-24 16.56.54.jpg

2021-02-24 16.57.03.jpg

Existing top, new bottom

I've got an option to change the type of curly cable I offer on our solar panel kits. What do you think? I've laid them down with the amount of stretch you would normally have with the roof down , not up. When stretched the new larger one doesn't look a great deal different to below.

The current type is shiny and has 2mm square cable. It retracts to its original shape.

The new type is more rubberised, is bigger, and stays more "open" It has 2.5mm square cores. It still returns to the size I specify it, just in an "open" fashion. The voltage advantage is very very small, so it's about aesthetics really.

View attachment 74261

View attachment 74262

Existing top, new bottom
I fitted the curly cable and I’m very happy with the ‘tight’ look. I think it makes the installation look sleek. The less tight cable would just look a bit stretched in my opinion, plus it doesn’t appear so shiny?

Not got one of your fantastic set ups yet (on my list of required upgrades though), but I prefer the current one and agree @Virgil van Bike that the new one looks like it has stretched/worn.

Agree the old looks more like it was designed for the purpose.

I know at one point you weren't able to supply curly cables outside of your kits, has this changed since then as it's an update I'd like to make to a panel I was given. Any help/pricing appreciated.

I have the curly cable on mine from you Roger and think it looks neater than the proposed new one, that looks like it’s been over stretched beyond its elasticity point.

Have the old one with no problems. The new one looks like it will flap around when travelling at motorway speed.

All received loud and clear - I have to make a decision now so old style it is.

Many thanks!

9 minutes late, but my vote is also for the old style cable,

hehe - another 100 originals ordered :)

Big issue now is running out of packaging! Global cardboard shortage has lead to massive lead time in packaging orders. Got 8 boxes left to last until March 17th! And they are custom made. Too big for off the shelf.

Old one for me, I think the new one "looks" as if it has been overstretched.

Back