Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our new California Adventures Channel

Camping Grubhof in Austria was our favourite campsite of the whole trip! Well worth a visit if you haven't been there already!

I agree that Camping Grubhof is a great site.
When we were there in August it was considerably busier, but despite the number of people the site still felt quite relaxed.
A great area for walking and cycling, or just chilling.

When we were there in August it was considerably busier, but despite the number of people the site still felt quite relaxed.
Yeah it is such a lovely site. We will definitely be revisiting!

Another stunning campsite is Llanberis Touring Park in Snowdonia, Wales. It's only 2 years old and has fantastic facilities...

Wind is one of the only weater factors in witch the Cali suffers a negative point .
In a way it's still is a tent on top of a transporter...
Wales is great , at least what we seen of it so far on our trip 2y ago
We used the only campsite availeble at the time in Llanberis ....was more like camping on the farm but it was easy acces to the Snowdon Ranger path witch we used to go up the Snowdon .
Our adventures in Wales
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/meet-in-tewksbury-and-than-arround-wales.14426/
Tip : it would be cooler to build the lego retro bus in your cali;)

In our latest video Lizzy baked lovely Valentines Day cupcakes in the Cali! :)

Those bakings are looking great !
If our dog was sitting next to making those she would be drooling all over the place , as much would i ...:D
We don't go in valentine's day , we love each other 365days a year and buy gifts whenever we feel like it!

Ps: why you did not put the LED light video on here ? I've got thatone in the mail but not seen it on the forum!

We had a lot of fun at the 2018 Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show...

We go to Grubhof for a while nearly every year love that part of Austria.

We check out one of Vango's super duper drive away awnings...
Great video again guys.

Would have loved to have seen you drive away from and return to the awning, but using it for just one day, I can understand why you didn't. I also think you would have found driving away difficult without a second kador strip and figure of eight.

We use our Vango Driveaway awning all the time, and can get it up or down in about 10 minutes, but would not usually consider using it for an overnight stay.

One of the great benefits of a driveaway awning is being able to use it for storage, and driving off on an excursion without having to pack up, then coming back to find everything ready for use - just reattach and pop up the roof.

For two people plus dog, or for a family for a short stay, I would have thought a safari room would work better.

For long stays or for families, a driveaway is perfect.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We are currently looking at drive aways, ours will mainly be for storage so looking at the Vango Idris which appears to take less than 15 mins to erect

We are currently looking at drive aways, ours will mainly be for storage so looking at the Vango Idris which appears to take less than 15 mins to erect
I have the Kela which is pretty much the same as the Idris, I cant fault it, very well made and like you say up in under 15 mins (With practice)

I see you guys have used both the Rainbow top cover and also the type that slip over the top of the roof (not sure which make that was)

Which one do you guys recommend?

We have an idris which we bought last year. Great but not for us as I’ve eventually got a hold of an inner tent for our Quechua base seconds which suits our camping which is usually short stays then move on somewhere else. Up on the usual site in a few days once I sort out some photos of it, not trying to push it honestly. They are quick and easy to put up but make sure you have room for the bag before you buy one.

We have an idris which we bought last year. Great but not for us as I’ve eventually got a hold of an inner tent for our Quechua base seconds which suits our camping which is usually short stays then move on somewhere else. Up on the usual site in a few days once I sort out some photos of it, not trying to push it honestly. They are quick and easy to put up but make sure you have room for the bag before you buy one.
Seems Decathlon (Quechua) have replaced the base seconds pop up with a pole system shelter so no instant pop up unless they bring something later but I don't think they will. Changes for the better????

Thanks for watching guys. I should probably have made it clearer that the full "camp" set up was about an hour but the awning only took about 20mins to put up. Really easy and seems a great bit of kit. It's our first awning so we don't have much to compare it to but we will certainly try some more out in the future and live with the Galli Compact for a bit too.

I see you guys have used both the Rainbow top cover and also the type that slip over the top of the roof (not sure which make that was)

Which one do you guys recommend?

We've only had one night with the rainbow ones so far but they seem great. Our other one is a Comfortz Cali Topper and that is good as well but the rainbow one is much thicker and fits tight to the roof. We will keep you all updated as we try them out long term.

Thank you all for your continued support we really appreciate it and it gives us great opportunities like this. :)

The wonders of the ridge monkey. The pizzas looked yummy.
Thanks for demonstrating Lizzie.

Look forward to hearing what you think of the rainbow top cover.
Thought you had a new Cali with a coloured roof canvas.:)

Great video again guys.

I also think you would have found driving away difficult without a second kador strip and figure of eight.

We use an outsell awning & that has a sleeve to put a pole through that runs parallel to the cali awning. Rather than mess around with kador strips & figure of eight mouldings as we used to, we now just put the pole through the sleeve & then place it behind the cali awning, using the sewn on velcro to fix it to the cali awning.

I reckon we can connect / disconnect in about 30 seconds - looks like the set up below. As long as you put the pole between the van roof & cali awning you get a secure waterproof connection.

Kampa-Travel-Pod-Pole&Clamp-lb-1.jpg

I dread to think how much room that takes up when packed away?

Back