Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Outdoor cooking?

We almost always camp on a site with electricity and use a 2 ring Morphy Richards electric hob. Done it for 6 years with our current Cali and also about 5 years with our T4. The current (sorry) hob is new as the previous recently failed after sterling service.
We use it outside and under the awning if the weather is bad. It seems safe and I do not have to wear rubber boots when cooking.(so far). Use out there means no smells or greasy air in the van. Very rare for us to cook inside.
It is plugged into a (continental) socket on the back of the blue mains plug where it connects into the van. I bought the socket in France, not available in the U.K. I then have a contintal extension lead, also bought in France, which I run round rhe back of the Van to the hob.
We use an electric kettle in the van for tea/coffee production.
We also carry one of those silicon folding kettles for use on the gas.cooker 'just in case'.
It is cheap to run, easy to clean, simple to setup and not bulky to carry. Ole for the magic of electricity!

View attachment 39729 View attachment 39730 View attachment 39731 View attachment 39732
We use wood stove , had always used oz pig when camping with landrover but decided to change to gstove as it packs away smaller in the Cali,
Thanks for that, Tompoole, I have been thinking of buying an Ozpig for home and camping, but was going to wait until our Cali arrives. Haven’t seen the gstove before so will investigate.

Apart from packing smaller are there any other advantages of the gstove over the ozpig?

We almost always camp on a site with electricity and use a 2 ring Morphy Richards electric hob. Done it for 6 years with our current Cali and also about 5 years with our T4. The current (sorry) hob is new as the previous recently failed after sterling service.
We use it outside and under the awning if the weather is bad. It seems safe and I do not have to wear rubber boots when cooking.(so far). Use out there means no smells or greasy air in the van. Very rare for us to cook inside.
It is plugged into a (continental) socket on the back of the blue mains plug where it connects into the van. I bought the socket in France, not available in the U.K. I then have a contintal extension lead, also bought in France, which I run round rhe back of the Van to the hob.
We use an electric kettle in the van for tea/coffee production.
We also carry one of those silicon folding kettles for use on the gas.cooker 'just in case'.
It is cheap to run, easy to clean, simple to setup and not bulky to carry. Ole for the magic of electricity!
The added bonus is that usually on a pitch with electric (in UK anyway) the lecci is included in the pitch fee, whether you use it or not.

We use a Cadac Safari Chef (a Christmas present), but we generally cook inside the van unless the weather is really hot.
Any tips for cooking in the van to help keep steam levels and smells down, ej?
Just typed in ”ej” and autocorrect changed it to “Jesus”!!

How did the Cobb burn out?
Over use. It was the original with plastic type sides and was loved too much! But I hated cleaning it out. Also did the gas bbq route but you can't beat charcoal for flavour
While hubby does the bbq bit I use a one ring gas stove outside.

View attachment 39729 View attachment 39730 View attachment 39731 View attachment 39732
We use wood stove , had always used oz pig when camping with landrover but decided to change to gstove as it packs away smaller in the Cali,
Over use. It was the original with plastic type sides and was loved too much! But I hated cleaning it out. Also did the gas bbq route but you can't beat charcoal for flavour
While hubby does the bbq bit I use a one ring gas stove outside.
I agree that cleaning the Cobb can be a pain. A lot of people use the new foil liners. I bought a SAfire (similar to the Cobb) which is much easier to clean but it’s not as versatile as the Cobb. I do though use the Cobb pans and racks on it. Both have their pros and cons. The new Cobb premiere air, hitting the UK in the spring, should be easier to clean.

Cadac safari chef. Compact. Clean. Multi purpose. Although never did master the pizza stone. Best thing for less than a hundred sheets I ever bought. Bacon and eggs on a nice summer morning. Burgers and kebabs on a night. That's about my cooking limit. But brilliant.

I use a cadac safari chef quite a lot or the slide pod in the rear of our beach.
For a kettle we use an Alpkit Brukit Wolf. Brilliant all 3. :)

never did master the pizza stone.
We had several false starts, including charred bases and uncooked toppings.

You need to put the stone on the grill which defuses the heat evenly to all parts of the stone.

Heat the stone on maximum gas for 5 minutes with the lid on. Turn the gas to halfway between max and min, and opening so to lose minimal heat from the lid, slip in the pizza. Bake as instructed on the pizza packaging.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thanks for that, Tompoole, I have been thinking of buying an Ozpig for home and camping, but was going to wait until our Cali arrives. Haven’t seen the gstove before so will investigate.

Apart from packing smaller are there any other advantages of the gstove over the ozpig?

Hi
Gstove packs smaller and also very light,
It can also be used as a tent stove where the ozpig cannot , the gstove also has an oven that can be added the the chimney, check out app trading for accessories.
The ozpig is however a better bbq.

Hi Tompoole. I’ve been looking at the gstove it’s quit different cooking-wise to the ozpig. Do you use it mostly for cooking or does it have a heating “role” in your setup?

Can be used for cooking and warming tent, overall it has more advantages than ozpig , the only thing the ozpig has over the rove is its bigger

We had several false starts, including charred bases and uncooked toppings.

You need to put the stone on the grill which defuses the heat evenly to all parts of the stone.

Heat the stone on maximum gas for 5 minutes with the lid on. Turn the gas to halfway between max and min, and opening so to lose minimal heat from the lid, slip in the pizza. Bake as instructed on the pizza packaging.

Did you use flour or oil on the stone. And did you put the flour or oil on the hot stone or cold. I did manage to cook a pizza well once but I was drunk.tried stone. Hot. Stone cold. Etc. Same results as you. Charred base. Uncooked top

Did you use flour or oil on the stone. And did you put the flour or oil on the hot stone or cold. I did manage to cook a pizza well once but I was drunk.tried stone. Hot. Stone cold. Etc. Same results as you. Charred base. Uncooked top
Cooking a pizza on the cadac stone is an art. Tried all different ways and temperatures, still had black bottom and watery top :shocked
However, the trick is to cook a pizza that is just that bit smaller than the actual stone, and have the heat on the smallest flame. 10 mins with the lid on, no peeking, perfect result.

No flour or oil, though flour would work well.

If you have a charred base and raw toppings I suspect the stone is over direct flame. Your successful pizza was cooked when you, in an inebriated state, failed to remove the griddle (which is correct) and heat was defused evenly to the stone. The lid traps the heat and cooks the toppings as if in an oven.

We managed to cook pizza on our Cadac this summer in France. Bought ready made pizza dough roll and tomato sauce, selection of topping ingredients and mozzarella.

Got metal tray hot over diffuser. Cook bass only for a few mins with lid on. Flip base over, add Tom sauce then chosen ingredients then mozzarella. Cook again with lid. Important not to overload pizza with toppings.

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Cooking a pizza on the cadac stone is an art. Tried all different ways and temperatures, still had black bottom and watery top :shocked
However, the trick is to cook a pizza that is just that bit smaller than the actual stone, and have the heat on the smallest flame. 10 mins with the lid on, no peeking, perfect result.
That no peeking bit is a good tip. I never removed the griddle pan. I had the stone on top of that.

Can be used for cooking and warming tent, overall it has more advantages than ozpig , the only thing the ozpig has over the rove is its bigger
Well, I’ve been looking at the Ozpig for about 2 months now. Then Tompoole introduced the gstove. So, I’ve been checking that out ever since. I weighed up the pros and cons of both and they come out on top for different reasons.

In the end it came down to what would match my cooking style best and be the most fun. The ozpig won and I ordered one last night, with heat diffuser and charcoal basket. Expect it to arrive tomorrow.

Well, I’ve been looking at the Ozpig for about 2 months now. Then Tompoole introduced the gstove. So, I’ve been checking that out ever since. I weighed up the pros and cons of both and they come out on top for different reasons.

In the end it came down to what would match my cooking style best and be the most fun. The ozpig won and I ordered one last night, with heat diffuser and charcoal basket. Expect it to arrive tomorrow.
I’ve also just bought more accessories for my Cobb: the pizza stone, new stainless steel grill plate and another extension ring to add a rotiserrie (which I got off eBay a few weeks ago). I think it will be the Cobb that goes on holiday with us. But on short trips the ozpig may come along (as we have less other stuff) and definitely down to family gatherings.

We like to make our own pizza dough a half spelt base, combined with homemade tomato base, some mozzarella, cured meats, olives and of course a touch of parmigiana and you're in for a heavenly meal. Sometimes a little anchovies too mmm.

Cant wait to try it on our pizza stone on the cadac.

Last edited: