Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
N

NickD

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I’ve travelled 000’s of miles and use one of these to cook for our family of four outside...
View attachment 47100
Takes up very little space and the canisters are cheap, easy to store and widely available. I use with normal pans that I keep in the van.
We use one these as well, with a small backpacking stove as a backup or for when I really need two burners at once.

The bit I don't like is the canisters. They are flimsy so need robust storage (we stick ours in a plastic tub with some other cooking stuff but I always worry about punctures and leaks). And it may just be the stove we have but there's a lack of regulation, so initially a kettle boils in no time at all, but by the end of the canister you have to wait 10 minutes or end up with a bunch of canisters with dregs in them.

So I'm currently looking at cadacs since many here rave about them.

H

HHinds

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We’ve camped for a few years without an electric hook up and have a number of different bits of kit for cooking out doors. Which includes:

A basic one ring gas hob that uses the butane canisters,
A Trangia that uses liquid fuel
A biolite campstove that uses solid fuel and will run a USB charger
A Cobb oven

They all have their uses but the ones we’ve used the most are the gas ring and the Cobb. I love the Cobb and have cooked all sorts in it. I have found that if you want to cook something in the Cobb’s large wok pan it is best to start it on the gas hob first and then put it on the Cobb to simmer.

Now we have a Cali Beach and have bought a one ring induction hob from Argos so we can quickly boil a kettle on arrival at a site. An electric hook up is still a novelty for us . We haven’t done a long trip in the van yet but I’m certain we won’t be taking all of the above kit with us - but hubby is threatening to pack the new pizza oven, with bread maker for the dough!!

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We’ve camped for a few years without an electric hook up and have a number of different bits of kit for cooking out doors. Which includes:

A basic one ring gas hob that uses the butane canisters,
A Trangia that uses liquid fuel
A biolite campstove that uses solid fuel and will run a USB charger
A Cobb oven

They all have their uses but the ones we’ve used the most are the gas ring and the Cobb. I love the Cobb and have cooked all sorts in it. I have found that if you want to cook something in the Cobb’s large wok pan it is best to start it on the gas hob first and then put it on the Cobb to simmer.

Now we have a Cali Beach and have bought a one ring induction hob from Argos so we can quickly boil a kettle on arrival at a site. An electric hook up is still a novelty for us . We haven’t done a long trip in the van yet but I’m certain we won’t be taking all of the above kit with us - but hubby is threatening to pack the new pizza oven, with bread maker for the dough!!
If you are hooked up to the mains you can use an electric kettle from the socket in the van. Easier than getting out an electric hob of any sort. You do have to carry it of course! Ours is 800 watts and it's great for early morning cuppa, all done from the bed! Better than at home!

H

HHinds

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
If you are hooked up to the mains you can use an electric kettle from the socket in the van. Easier than getting out an electric hob of any sort. You do have to carry it of course! Ours is 800 watts and it's great for early morning cuppa, all done from the bed! Better than at home!
Yeah, we considered getting an electric kettle but decided that as we had a kettle for the gas hob and because you can cook other things on the induction hob to go for that option. Doesn’t mean that we won’t end up buying an electric kettle as well at some point. We can add it to our ever growing list of stuff we want for the Cali

Swiss Cheese

Swiss Cheese

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I use a 1967 2 burner Coleman stove with stand. So far we've not had to endure a wet weekend so it works fine cooking outside. I have a number of other camp fuel powered stoves from 1 up to 3 burners so we have different options depending on what we are doing that day/vacation.

Our Partners