Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pizza anyone?

A really quick and easy home made (or van/outdoor made) pizza base. Really tasty too. You don’t even need any weighing scales.

Ingredients:

Equal volume (not weight) of self raising flour and Greek yogurt (you could use your yogurt pot for measuring, 250ml will make one large base)

Pinch of salt (if so inclined, but these bases are tasty even without and there’ll be salt in your cheese for the topping)

Method:

1/ Place all ingredients in a bowl (could use your washing up bowl)

2/ Knead for 5 mins until it feels “elastic” (you can do this in the bowl if pushed for space, if you turn it out on to a surface or if it’s too sticky after a while, add a little flour to the surface or bottom/sides of the bowl to make it manageable)

3/ Shape the base - usually a circle or could be a rectangle/square for a Ridgemonkey, etc (you can pat and stretch with your hands or roll it out with a bottle/round container - I’ve even used a cleaned tent pole)

Note: I only carry plain flour in the van (I use it quite a lot for thickening, making sauces, the odd cake/pudding, etc) - you can add baking powder to create self raising flour. For every 250ml of plain flour you’ll need 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder.

If you try it, tell us what you think.

I didn’t make enough traditional dough tonight and remembered this thread.....are you sure it’s 1:1 yogurt to flour by volume? It was very very liquidous and I must have added 100% more flour before it was anything like kneadable. It was nice then though.

I didn’t make enough traditional dough tonight and remembered this thread.....are you sure it’s 1:1 yogurt to flour by volume? It was very very liquidous and I must have added 100% more flour before it was anything like kneadable. It was nice then though.
When I first made this I used some very thick Greek homemade yogurt. Since I’ve used different yogurts bought from supermarkets and as you say it ends up very liquidous and you need more flour. So I would say it’s equal weight (not volume) And extra flour for kneading. I should have updated the post, will do now. Thanks for the heads up, Wiggly Woo. :thumb Glad you had enough flour! I’ve started using this for wraps and naan substitutes if we don’t have those in. Also if you crisp them up in the pan they’re great broken up with dips or yummy on their own.

Last edited:
Here is the recipe, sorry for the delay. its very easy as you premix the dry ingredients before you leave and just mix when you need them. They keep for a while in the fridge too so you could mix before you leave.

They taste good, we have them bacon but you could also add fruit like blueberries etc. It does take quite a bit of effort to shake the jar up when mixing but we tend to pass it around. You wont get all the lumps out manually but you shouldnt notice anyway.
https://www.campervancookout.com/quick-easy-delicious-jam-jar-pancakes/
Like this idea of preprepared dry ingredients for camping V and Matt.

You can use milk powder instead of fresh and add water to make it up with the egg. Don’t know about you guys, but we’re always running short of milk When camping!

You can also use plastic squeezed ketchup/mayo type bottles. They’re a bit easier to grip and shake and it doesn’t matter if you get a bit enthusiastic with the shaking (or chuck them in the air like a fancy cocktail bar tender) and drop them. You can then squeeze the mix out into the pan and do whole round pancakes or fancy looking spirally lace type patterns.

Last edited:
For a quick and easy homemade “pizza”:
Take 6 pitta breads, smother liberally with tomato purée, add toppings of your choice, finish off with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake 2 at a time in the Cadac, on a stone preheated at maximum gas, at close to minimum gas for seven minutes. Cut in half with a pizza cutter and serve with coleslaw.

Six pitta breads (55p in Sainsbury’s) is plenty for 2 adults and 2 children for a main meal.

Children as young as 3 can make their own pizza with their own choice of toppings.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Aldi do some nice round pittas too.

For a quick and easy homemade “pizza”:
Take 6 pitta breads, smother liberally with tomato purée, add toppings of your choice, finish off with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake 2 at a time in the Cadac, on a stone preheated at maximum gas, at close to minimum gas for seven minutes. Cut in half with a pizza cutter and serve with coleslaw.

Six pitta breads (55p in Sainsbury’s) is plenty for 2 adults and 2 children for a main meal.

Children as young as 3 can make their own pizza with their own choice of toppings.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We do this all the time at home, my lad loves Pizza Pitta night.
I don’t have a Cadac, but should maybe try Elly’s idea and give them a go in the Ridgemonkey...

If using the Cadac pizza stone always read the instructions :oops:
I think we ate around half a dozen burnt to a crisp, black as your hat pizzas until I read about turning the gas off once the stone was hot :eek:

I think we ate around half a dozen burnt to a crisp, black as your hat pizzas until I read about turning the gas off once the stone was hot :eek:
That’s a good tip for the Cadac. I have a Cobb (charcoal) and you use a grill plate in under the stone so that acts as a heat deflector. It would work the same for a gas Cobb.

From the Cadac website:
===========
9 TIPS HOW TO USE THE CADAC PIZZA STONE
  • Use the pizza stone in combination with the pot stand & dome of the BBQ.
  • Sprinkle some flour to prevent the bottom from sticking.
  • Do not place frozen pizza on the stone.
  • The baking time depends on all kinds of circumstances such as the thickness of the dough, selected ingredients, weather conditions, etc.
  • If the baking process is too fast, turn the barbecue off and let the pizza cook with the lid on the BBQ.
  • The stone may also be placed on the BBQ grid; the baking process then takes a little longer. Please note: the grid can be damaged if the stone moves.
  • Never immerse the stone in water, but wipe it clean with a (wet) cloth.
  • Do not use detergent!
  • It is normal for the pizza stone to darken and get stained by use
===========
We only use the BBQ grid on our Cadac so we use the grill pan to diffuse the heat for the stone. (It ruins the grill pan but works well for the pizza.)

Like you, it took many attempts to perfect the technique, and we had a great many crispy "black as your hat" below and raw above pizzas before we got it right.

We now love stone baked pizzas so much that we have a stone for our kitchen oven at home.

From the Cadac website:
===========
  • The baking time depends on all kinds of circumstances such as the thickness of the dough, selected ingredients, weather conditions, etc.
  • If the baking process is too fast, turn the barbecue off and let the pizza cook with the lid on the BBQ.
  • The stone may also be placed on the BBQ grid; the baking process then takes a little longer. Please note: the grid can be damaged if the stone moves.
  • Do not use detergent!
===========
We only use the BBQ grid on our Cadac so we use the grill pan to diffuse the heat for the stone. (It ruins the grill pan but works well for the pizza.)

Like you, it took many attempts to perfect the technique, and we had a great many crispy "black as your hat" below and raw above pizzas before we got it right.

We now love stone baked pizzas so much that we have a stone for our kitchen oven at home.
Not heard anyone else use the term “black as yer ‘at” for years. When I say it here in East Mids they look at me as if I’m not all there. But then it took us ages to get used to “aye up me duck“ and it still drives my scouse hubby nuts when other fellas call him “ducky”!

From the Cadac website:
===========
  • Do not use detergent!
===========

It’s the ‘how hard can it be,bin the instructions ‘gene that makes men men :oops:

Oh man how did I miss this thread? I LOVE pizza! Can't recommend the Ooni Koda highly enough. It's gas-powered so super simple to operate; it's ready for making pizza in about 10-15 minutes. And it's very compact - the leg's fold in and it sits on top of one of those large Muji drawers under the multiflex board perfectly.

It's really versatile so I tend to do most of our cooking in it whilst we're camping. It makes a fantastic fry-up; pastries (I just use those Jus-Rol ones in tins); roasted grapes (recipe here) and smores in the residual heat. I've even made a loaf of bread in it. And of course, it makes fantastic pizza - in about a minute and a half. Then for pudding, we've got into the bad habit of having a chocolate, banana and ricotta sweet pizza (the ring thing). So it's not been amazing for our waistlines but it's certainly a lot of fun!

Here's some pictures:

IMG_6134.jpegIMG_6450.jpegIMG_6818.jpegIMG_8919.jpegIMG_8887.jpegIMG_8860.jpeg