Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Outdoor cooking?

Totally agree Bob! And thanks for the appreciation of these amazing cookers.

The newer models designed for unleaded are not as durable.
I have two 2 burners (this 1968 one, and one unfired from 1976) and a larger 3 burner which is a beast (which is also around these eras). The stand works with all of them.
I actually use Aspen 4T as fuel. Unleaded gums up the generators in the stoves and lanterns over time, and 4T is similar to Coleman Camp Fuel but way cheaper. Also unleaded tends to stink if the lantern is not 100% tuned. Paraffin is worse.
I have well over 100 lanterns and lamps, and about 20 different stoves, all from various manufacturers, so I'm spoiled for choice. I'd also rather carry liquid fuel than gas, and especially if you can use it in both stoves and lamps.

Disclaimer: I'm actually a Coleman Collector and you might find me on another forum which is about that stuff...
Wish I had space to collect stoves! I use the Coleman gear in my current (kitchenless) van but see no reason it won't be a permanent fixture in the Ocean when it comes.

Good to know there's expert advice available here!!

We use a couple of Primus Mimer stoves with canisters - they have a nice wide burner. Also have a Safari Chef using the same canisters, although it is a little underpowered. All sits on a folding kitchen stand. Pans - Tefal Ingenio. Plates, bowls mugs, cups and water bottles all stainless steel. No plastic :)

We almost always cook outside and for years we have used electric. We take a twin burner stove which is easy to pack away and some quite long leads ditto. It works brilliantly for us here, in Spain or in France. Not sure about Italy where they used to provide just 2 amps which is not enough.
we are connected to the mains of course and some have suggested that we should wear Wellington boots whilst cooking……

£12 camping stove from from Halfords for us. We have had the Cadac Safari Chef but is too small for 3 of us, Cadac Carry Chef took up too much room & both need either another cylinder or faff getting the one out of the gas locker.

The Halfords stove comes in a handy plastic storage case, takes up little room even with a couple of spare gas cans & allows the use of a much bigger frying pan than I can use on the vans hob. Perfect for doing the bacon under the awning!

Attachments

• stove.pdf
    714.7 KB · Views: 33
£12 camping stove from from Halfords for us. We have had the Cadac Safari Chef but is too small for 3 of us, Cadac Carry Chef took up too much room & both need either another cylinder or faff getting the one out of the gas locker.

The Halfords stove comes in a handy plastic storage case, takes up little room even with a couple of spare gas cans & allows the use of a much bigger frying pan than I can use on the vans hob. Perfect for doing the bacon under the awning!
Got one of those little stoves in my allotment shed for coffee/tea Andy. Great little stove.