Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overnight stop on trip to Isle of Skye

Cocopops

Cocopops

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We are travelling from West Berks to the Isle of Skye in a couple of weeks time. Could anyone recommend an overnight stop. We have stopped in the Lakes before, but wondered if maybe stopping a little further up might be a better option this time.

There are several places on the shores of Loch Lomond about 3/4 hour north of Glasgow.
They're about 25 yds off the A82 which is the road you'll be going north on I guess.
I'm sure you won't need to book in.

From the motorway passing the Lakes to Glasgow is about 2 hours so you're talking a tad less than 3hrs extra driving ...

It also occurs to me there are two or three off-road lay-bys on the shores of the loch, too. RVs and CamperVans use them a lot.

Good luck.

Where are you bound for on Skye?

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a look around that area, sounds like a nice place to stop. We are staying at a cottage in the Culnacnoc area. We haven't travelled this far north before, so looking forward to exploring this area.

Looks stunning! Will certainly add that one to the list. Thanks for your help.

If you can get that far on the first day of travel, the Red Squirrel camp site in Glencoe is stunning. And its just a small walk away from a completely brilliant pub The Clachaigh Inn. Then set off the next day for Millaig and the ferry to Skye. Job done :)

Good call-out for the Red Squirrel Campsite, and the nearby Clachaigh Inn! Do remember to bring a good torch, if you plan to walk back from the Inn to the Campsite in darkness, it is really really dark there! :)

I can see this is an old thread but we are heading up to the Isle of Skye in November.
We are trying to find a campsite that may be open which understandably is difficult as it is out of season.
Do any of our more seasoned and experienced Cali Campers please have an App or similar to show which campsites are open in November?
Thank you in advance we have been struggling.

Hi @campandfly
Caravan & Camping Club; Caravan & Motorhome Club; ACSI all have Apps. Then there’s Brit Stops; Camping in the Forest and more. But if you just Google Isle of Skye Camp Sites you’ll get a list.

You have a long journey from Cornwall to Skye so if you’re doing it over two days with one overnight stop, I’d imagine you’d also want to look in the Cumbria/West Yorkshire area close to the M6.
On a recent trip we stayed at the Strickland Arms near Penrith (Britstops) on the way up and at Troutbeck Head campsite (Caravan & Motorhome Club) on the way back.

B00FADA1-B017-4306-8083-57798504469C.png

Last edited:
Thanks @GrumpyGranddad I will check out those 2 campsites. Yes you are right we will have to make an overnighter or two on the way up. We have been considering a stop in the Lake District. It seems most of the campsites on the Isle of Skye close end of October. Uig and Kinloch may be open. We are happy to wild camp but nice to go and get hot showers and hook up etc for at least a couple of nights.

We are preparing for windy, wet and cold weather. For November it looks like snow is unlikely (we have snow socks if necessary) there is a possibility of ice though. The Trotternish Loop looks like a plan while there.

There are several places on the shores of Loch Lomond about 3/4 hour north of Glasgow.
They're about 25 yds off the A82 which is the road you'll be going north on I guess.
I'm sure you won't need to book in.

From the motorway passing the Lakes to Glasgow is about 2 hours so you're talking a tad less than 3hrs extra driving ...

It also occurs to me there are two or three off-road lay-bys on the shores of the loch, too. RVs and CamperVans use them a lot.

Good luck.

Where are you bound for on Skye?
That's a handy post @barry A stop at Loch Lomond seems a good idea.

That's a handy post @barry A stop at Loch Lomond seems a good idea.
On our recent trip we stopped for 1 night at Cashel Campsite on Loch Lomond. Nice site with all facilities. Other side of the Loch from the road north but only a short detour.

On our recent trip we stopped for 1 night at Cashel Campsite on Loch Lomond. Nice site with all facilities. Other side of the Loch from the road north but only a short detour.
Looks nice but as we are travelling in November it looks like they are closed https://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/scotland/loch-lomond/cashel-campsite
This is the tricky part about winter camping finding somewhere open. We usually have to apply plan B and just drive and hope we come across something or just wild camp.

I was just there a few days ago. There is overnight parking at the Tarbet Pier. A lot of big motorhomes, though, and quite noisy. Next time I would take the minor detour via Luss and sleep in one of the laybys.

Glen Loin campsite arrochar good for an overnight- ok to turn up late etc and friendly.

Tebay services good too.

Back