Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Packing in the Beach

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Away for a few days and had an epiphany during the packing process. Having resisted an awning and relied on a rear tray, a complete reversal has made this a happy experience at last.

Purchased a Quechua Arpenaz Base 6 primarily for the tiny bag that it comes with and makes a perfect kitchen/dining/store room and while not pop up, the whole setup was 15 mins including levelling so can’t really complain.

The main revelation was taking out the sliding try and packing the van with the multiflex moved forwards, then offload on arrival. Having had 2 years trying to make the boot tray work, packing without was a dream. Guess a few people out there know this already but this has fixed my camping experience.

Fridge travels in the van and moves into the tent/awning on camp, now quickly able to drive off for days out (fridge back in) without hassle. Sure this all is nothing new for you experienced beach campers but sharing anyway.

E83F3FAD-646E-4195-A133-CD349720328C.jpeg

We leave both the bench seat and the multiflex in the correct position on the rails for making up the bed.

I made out of plywood two crates to fit exactly between the multiflex and bench seat, and can remain in place with the bed made up. We have a third box which can fit between these plywood crates, and that box can take two 907 camping gas bottles.

On top of the two plywood crates (and above the gas bottle box) I have two plywood trays that span the entire width of the van. These are fairly shallow and usually contain shoes and walking boots. They need to be removed to lower the bench to make the bed, but are shallow enough to slide under the van.

On top of the crates and trays sits a plywood plank, 1480mm by 380mm, and this is exactly level with the top of the multiflex, giving us effectively an expansive parcel shelf 1480mm by 1000mm. Both boys (age 7 & 8) can and sometimes do sleep on this base with a mattress on top so we don’t even have to make the lower bed.

Have followed your packing with interest Tom but always tried to limit what I carry; this trip we have wakeboarding gear, other times it kiting kit, so camping is always secondary.

The multi-(un)flex is always a good one for discussion, this is the first time I have given in and moved it and it worked, but will see what the evolution will be.

@Tarquers thanks for sharing your setup.

Do you run an extension cable to power the fridge whilst it is in the tent?

I’ve been thinking of getting a pull out tray for when my Beach arrives. But unsure how easy it would be to access the things packed between the tray and the seats.

I have a cinch tent instead of an awning so similar setup to you ‘outside’ the van.

@Tarquers thanks for sharing your setup.

Do you run an extension cable to power the fridge whilst it is in the tent?

I’ve been thinking of getting a pull out tray for when my Beach arrives. But unsure how easy it would be to access the things packed between the tray and the seats.

I have a cinch tent instead of an awning so similar setup to you ‘outside’ the van.
Yes I run one lead to the EHU and then split it to go to the van and into the awning. Works best when I remember the 240v fridge lead…

I think the cinch tent will work well, they are out of stock unless you want green which is why I bought the decathlon tent.

For the tray, it works well in some circumstances but I do not think I will use it for camping again, just doesn’t work the way I hoped it would. Not for everyone I guess.

Thanks for the info! I guess if you are without the hook up you just leave the fridge in the van to run off the leisure battery.

We hired an ocean (which made us decide to go for the beach) and this was our set up. The awning legs would not stay ‘up’ on the hire van.

2 kids means our tent is a bit more of a dumping ground.

B35786B4-CA22-430A-A97D-F5881E408E56.jpeg

Personally I think the load space is more flexible without any kind of sliding tray. But I can see the appeal in certain packing scenarios.

Sliding try works great for us as allows top access to fridge /euro crates without having to take them out. If the seat is pulled forwards to give more boot space, you can fold rear of seat to stow bags/boxes or just slide them over the top of the MFB and drop them down behind the seat.

We have seat slid back most of the time, back against MFB, sliding tray underneath.

Personally I think the load space is more flexible without any kind of sliding tray. But I can see the appeal in certain packing scenarios.
I think a whole sliding unit, replacing the multiflex, and with a single drawer with adjustable dividers could work very well.

For some folk yes. We usually carry a couple of inflatable SUPs in the back. No way they would fit if any kind of slider / drawer arrangement was in place.

Very different approach and not what the thread is about. But showing the versatility of the Beach Camper packing for dog agility with 4 dogs.

B3B5FC1F-4306-4D2E-A203-C142A8A51DB8.jpeg

ABC48A94-7760-4C5D-B227-C5D504A1D360.jpeg

Wouldn’t be without ours, we much prefer the boot with the slider than without.

What do you keep in the box in the beach. mine is normally empty and everything is in the back. As the dog utilises the platform on top of the box.

I remember my Beach days.
Loaded the van, then realised at the campsite, I couldn’t make the bed until everything was un-loaded.
B2F60164-AB7D-446E-8824-A2FB0D33FCDA.jpeg

Then built my own rack and re-configured so I no longer needed a tent/awning.

FA04EFFA-026E-490A-8CC5-2377524D45E1.jpeg

We’re on a 5 week tour of Europe in our Beach. We’re a family of 4 so need pop top and rock and roll bed at night. We find the driveaway awning too bulky and too much hassle for a single night’s stay so left it at home. We did bring an inflatable dinghy which is packed up against the rear of the bench seat. As mentioned above, much easier to keep the bench in the forward position so it can just be laid flat at night. The set-up that works for us is as follows: Dinghy and oars on the bottom next to flattish plastic box containing books and art equipment for the kids. On top of this, clothes, swim stuff etc. packed in plastic ikea bags https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/paerkla-storage-case-50395382/ (got this idea from another thread). You can get these from Amazon too. Bags packed in order so bag with dirty clothes is on bottom and bags with night stuff (wash kit, nightwear, towels) and swim kit are most accessible on top. On top of this, pillows & duvets. In front of these (if you’re looking in from the tailgate), under multiflex board, three plastic boxes containing pots & pans, utensils etc., dry food basics (coffee, oil, salt, pasta etc) and other bits (washing line, foldable washing bowl, clothes pegs, sun cream etc. etc.). On top of these camping BBQ, 2x stoves, chocks, cable for hook up, charcoal, extra food. We’ve got an electric coolbox that fits between the driver and passenger seats. Two extra chairs are folded and laid across multiflex board under mattress (from ikea, came with the van). Passports, guidebooks, charging cables and books in use go in drawers under bench. At night if we’re in a campsite, the three boxes come out and are replaced by the top two bags so the rock and roll bed can go flat. If we’re free camping, the bags go on the front seats.

I think a whole sliding unit, replacing the multiflex, and with a single drawer with adjustable dividers could work very well.
Sounds like you need to checkout the Vanessa range

On
What do you keep in the box in the beach. mine is normally empty and everything is in the back. As the dog utilises the platform on top of the box.
One of our dogs utilises the seat on top of the box so we keep the things we may only need occasionally in there, such as hook up cable, bivvy loo, tyre pressure monitor/pump, extension lead etc.

Away for a few days and had an epiphany during the packing process. Having resisted an awning and relied on a rear tray, a complete reversal has made this a happy experience at last.

Purchased a Quechua Arpenaz Base 6 primarily for the tiny bag that it comes with and makes a perfect kitchen/dining/store room and while not pop up, the whole setup was 15 mins including levelling so can’t really complain.

The main revelation was taking out the sliding try and packing the van with the multiflex moved forwards, then offload on arrival. Having had 2 years trying to make the boot tray work, packing without was a dream. Guess a few people out there know this already but this has fixed my camping experience.

Fridge travels in the van and moves into the tent/awning on camp, now quickly able to drive off for days out (fridge back in) without hassle. Sure this all is nothing new for you experienced beach campers but sharing anyway.

View attachment 97195
We have the same tent. Works very well. Use it like a garage/play room/kitchen/changing room and loads more. Spent the money saved on an awning on a pair of van essa window bags which are amazing. I travel with biakes on the back and a fridge in the boot. So I push the chairs and multiflex forward enough so that my daughter can climb over and open the fridge if we need some snacks en route as the back is heavy with the bikes. I was amazed at how much extra room we get using a decathlon self inflating matress. So far it works well. Not tried it in the winter yet though.

20220728_234654.jpg

On

One of our dogs utilises the seat on top of the box so we keep the things we may only need occasionally in there, such as hook up cable, bivvy loo, tyre pressure monitor/pump, extension lead etc.
All good ideas. Will start with those. Thanks

Pull out tray with fridge one side, DOCK kitchen the other (with cobb grill behind it); clothes in one Vanessa window bag and non-fridge food the other. Seat pushed back as far as it will go. For longer trips when I take an awning I lash it to the floor rail behind the drivers seat or pull the seat forward and lob it over the back of it. Works for me.

E5263A41-C36D-443C-8A5C-736B8BFA6AD0.jpeg

Back