Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Passenger Seat Backrest Rattles

Custardtart

Custardtart

The front passenger seat in my new Cali rattles when I go over bumps if nobody is sitting in it. It seems to be firm to the base - I think it's the backrest that's wobbling.

I can replicate the effect by smacking the backrest and it rattles for a few seconds. If I do the same to the drivers seat it moves a bit but isn't so noisy and settles almost immediately.

Anyone come across this? Is this par for the course in a van-based vehicle?

I know I can take it to the dealers but it's a pain dropping it off, being without it for a week then arranging to pick it back up. Also the nearest dealer isn't a Cali centre so may not be that familiar with the swivel captains chairs.

Nope, not had that particular rattle. Have you tried putting the seat into different fore/aft positions and recline positions? What about driving with the passenger seat rotated to face backwards? If these don't make a difference then I guess you can navigate down a different path in the fault tree than if they do. Just a thought.

Try swapping the headrests over, if the rattly moves to drivers seat then it is the headrest itself.
Maybe the passenger headrest is not such a tight fit, try springing the legs apart slightly to make it a tighter fit.

Thanks for the replies.

I think the noise is inside the seat mechanism somewhere.

I'll try the headrest - nothing to lose by trying with it out.

On the way to work in the morning it's quiet but on the way home it rattles like a good-un. Maybe a temperature effect. Strangely today it was quiet both ways.

I've booked it in to the dealer for next week. Just hope it's rattling when they investigate. Sods Law says it'll come back with no issue found.

Reviving an old thread but I have something very similar. Sounds like a spring rattling (if that makes sense) and coming from the base of the passenger seat (on the inside, near the backrest adjuster) when there's nobody sat in it. I can also replicate when stationary by giving the backrest a slap or the inside armrest a knock. Tried different backrest angles, which sometimes seems to stop it but not always. Starting to drive me mad.

I saw in another thread @Custardtart that the dealer managed to stop it in the end. Did you ever find out what it was or how they did it?