Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Poor paw

I'm happy to report Meg is slightly better. She is beginning to put some weight on her paw, although clearly there is some discomfort when using it. We are taking her to the vet weekly so she may monitor it. Before putting Meg through further examination we will give sufficient time for it to heal as if it were a sprain or strain; I am hopeful that that is what it is.
Glad to hear that. It’s so hard to see our babies in pain. Especially when they can’t tell us where it hurts

I'm happy to report Meg is slightly better. She is beginning to put some weight on her paw, although clearly there is some discomfort when using it. We are taking her to the vet weekly so she may monitor it. Before putting Meg through further examination we will give sufficient time for it to heal as if it were a sprain or strain; I am hopeful that that is what it is.
How is Meg now?

How is Meg now?
She walks and gallops normally but trots on three legs. The orthopedic vet says there may be a screw interfering with a metatarsal, and to phone him December/January with a view to removing the implant to see if that will help her trot.

The vet bill so far is nearly £5,000, removing the implant may push it up to £6,500. So while Meg's poor paw may be recovering, my wallet is feeling the pinch. Fortunately the past three/four months have been cheap with one cancelled holiday, no swimming lessons and no date night meals out and a babysitter to pay.

She walks and gallops normally but trots on three legs. The orthopedic vet says there may be a screw interfering with a metatarsal, and to phone him December/January with a view to removing the implant to see if that will help her trot.

The vet bill so far is nearly £5,000, removing the implant may push it up to £6,500. So while Meg's poor paw may be recovering, my wallet is feeling the pinch. Fortunately the past three/four months have been cheap with one cancelled holiday, no swimming lessons and no date night meals out and a babysitter to pay.
Good to hear of the improvement, hope it continues when the removal is done.

I must have missed part of the thread. What implant did Meg have put in?

I must have missed part of the thread. What implant did Meg have put in?

She had a metal plate screwed into the bone to hold her ankle together.

1594492487896.png

1594492206337.png

Not Meg’s but stolen from the Web, but you can see why a screw might be interfering with a metatarsal.

Last edited:
Well I do hope things improve further with Meg. We grew up with my grandmother’s many collies rounding us up when we were small.

My experience with vets has never been good, constant checks, scans, rescans, rechecks, endless “maybe we try this” massive bills...NFU and John Lewis insurance on previous dogs good, went to More Than on current pooch which vet blew up with huge overnight stay bills so stopped the cover when premium tripled. Will look at no increases cover - great idea

I see why you have missed that part of the thread - it was elsewhere, hidden in a mega-thread:
Thanks Tom. I was curious because I use plates like that as part of my job and that’s usually for fractures or fusing joints, which is a leap (excuse the pun) from a suspected thorn. Meg is becoming a celeb

Thanks Tom. I was curious because I use plates like that as part of my job and that’s usually for fractures or fusing joints, which is a leap (excuse the pun) from a suspected thorn. Meg is becoming a celeb

I think that the difficulty vets have is that animals cannot give much feedback, other than a nip when something hurts. Plus a local vet will have poor quality x-ray machines. So poor Meg spent several weeks limping about with a broken ankle before the diagnosis of a break was made, a small but debilitating fracture. Fortunately dogs walk on their toes and not their feet, so fusing the ankle joint is not such a big deal.

Glad it’s been sorted, hopefully you won’t need to have the plate taken out.

I’d wager that you could teach a bright dog like Meg to use a skateboard to lighten the load on the weak side...could be a new Crufts sensation

Back