Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top wind loading

Here’s a question for amateur physicists...

If parked in strong winds, with the pop top up and rear facing into the wind, will the wind be trying to close the roof, or will it be trying to lift the roof?
667F3D0E-D24E-4C0A-B3E3-F8D3C46A9DE2.jpeg

The effect will be neutral. There will be an initial downward pressure but the wind bouncing off will cause eddies which will give an uplift. Actually, I just made that up. Sorry, no idea.

You should have left off those last two sentences. Up to that point you sounded to be speaking with authority.

Worrying about nothing again. Fire blankets.carbon monoxide detectors,gas lockers and now wind. What's up with you lot. Biggest issue with wind is the noise. a pop tops never been ripped off by wind that i know. Go camping, drink beer and stop worrying over nothing

Worrying about nothing again. Fire blankets.carbon monoxide detectors,gas lockers and now wind. What's up with you lot. Biggest issue with wind is the noise. a pop tops never been ripped off by wind that i know. Go camping, drink beer and stop worrying over nothing
Ha ha the beer may mitigate any noise issues !

Well, if parked back to the wind, and the worst that could happen is the top gets blown closed, I’m inclined to agree that it is nothing to be concerned about (I’m only considering the Beach with gas struts holding it open here, as I have no experience of the Ocean).

I think it’s the pandemic. People seem to worry either about things breaking or what accessories they need to buy to enjoy the van.
You only need yourself and the van - get out while you can and enjoy yourselves, smile, laugh and have fun!

Well, if parked back to the wind, and the worst that could happen is the top gets blown closed, I’m inclined to agree that it is nothing to be concerned about (I’m only considering the Beach with gas struts holding it open here, as I have no experience of the Ocean).
Unless you are sleeping upstairs of course.
The Hydraulic rams on the Ocean are kept pressurised all the time and probably work at a higher pressure than the Beach gas struts.
But the main problem is, the wind direction is rarely consistent and gusts from off centre could produce a considerable side force which the roof system on both vehicles is not designed for.