Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top wind loading

Let them try and stop me!

In fact the petty rules are why I'll never have that problem - because I don't go there.

Tail to wind whenever possible.
Unfortunately because the Caravan and Motorhome Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club both insist (Rigorously) that for insurance/fire risk reasons you nust park face in or face out with one corner next to the white post this does not allow you to "safely" park tail to wind whic might be at an angle across the pitch.
So safety rules sometimes create risk!
Never had a problem in bad weather on C & MH sites when I’ve explained why I’ve angled the van, but always have one vehicle corner to the road to peg line.

....as we are heading to Wales next week with an unsettled forecast....what top tips do folks have regarding the wind speeds at which you decide to leave the roof down?

Generally speaking if it showing gusts in excess of 50mph I batten down the hatches.

A lot depends on location, shelter, can I put it backside into the wind etc but to be honest I would rather be safe than sorry and lying there awake with the wind shaking the van and worrying about the canvas is not a pleasant experience.

Sleep well, sleep happy.

Agree with both the above. 50mph is about the max I would go to with rear into the wind. Issue was the noise and the rocking which improved substantially once we dropped the roof.

Mike

If you ask yourself, should I lower the roof?
Lower it.
There are so many variables but the wind rarely blows at a constant speed.

I tend to keep an eye on the Met Office forecast and the predicted wind strength "gusting" figure, which can be considerably stronger than the "base" forecast. If it looks iffy and likely to have me worrying, its down with the roof.

HOW MUCH WIND IS TOO MUCH. :Nailbiting

I'm sure you'll be informed!

Too many alcohol-free beers can cause too much wind. Just saying.

Hi all

Currently camping at Pulruan Cornwall, and it’s quite windy gusting at 16/23 mph anyone advise upon allowable tolerance for the pop top bellows. As it not mentioned in the manual.
Thanks
I have had my Cali out in 55mph winds recently and all was good. The only advice might be to ensure you are backing the Cali into the wind i.e. pointing the lower edge / rear of Cali into direction of the wind...

After a "lively" weekend 2 weeks ago in Dorset at Highlands End I bought myself one of these "Digital Anemometer UYIGAO Handheld Wind Speed Meter Measuring Air Flow Velocity with Backlight and Max/Min from Amazon". It was £18 and I will feel happier now I have a method of being more certain what the windspeed is.
1570693476175.png
To the OP above who asked about removing a Cail-Cosi/Rainbow thermal topper in the wind, it is a challenge. As it comes out from the confines of being held by the metal roof supports you have about 32 feet of sail in your hands. We took our roof down around midnight. Most others had sensibly put theirs down earlier. Ours felt safer because of the extra support the Cali-Cosi Thermal Wrap but when the Cali began to shake, even with the tail into the wind and being sheltered behind a hedge, we felt it was best to take it off and lower the roof.
I was on a 2 step ladder not hanging out of the door or balancing on the tyre so had both hands on the Thermal Wrap and I could barely hold it. Luckily my wife grabbed one end and we got it under control and then carefully lowered the roof checking as it came down as there wasn't a consistent downwind direction and the wind was blowing the bellows outwards. The BBC weather app said gusts up to 55mph were expected, but I had no way of checking that.
When I go up to Snowdonia in a few weeks time I will be able to check the predicted wind speed with the actual and see what they feel like.
I think every Cali there, except perhaps 1 who was more sheltered and all the Marco Polos also put their roofs down.
The only tent camper left on site decided to leave at 3.30am and got the help of the wardens to take their tent down safely.

Is there a recomended maximum wind speed at which you should close the pop up roof ? I realise there are a lot of variables such as wind direction, gusting etc etc but just wondered if there is a general recomended maximum wind speed ? Mine is a T6.1 Ocean. Thanks

Is there a recomended maximum wind speed at which you should close the pop up roof ? I realise there are a lot of variables such as wind direction, gusting etc etc but just wondered if there is a general recomended maximum wind speed ? Mine is a T6.1 Ocean. Thanks
No there isn’t I’m afraid.

I’ve had the roof up on isle of Skye in winds of 45 gusting 60 - Angled into the wind - whilst it was a bit hairy it was ok (it’s personal but 45mph is my max based on bbc weather app).

ps we had the daughter and Golden downstairs so we had no choice but to tough it out and it did help my confidence having read on forum other members had survived up to 50-55mph winds.

I don’t recall ever seeing any reports on here of any roof being damaged by high winds.

The dangerous bit is actually putting it down. If in doubt do that in daylight when you can see if the canvas is ballooning rather than risk doing it at 3 am.

I volunteer on the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway in Snowdonia and the Cali is my accommodation when I am up there. January to March 2020 we had a succession of named storms and I got to test the "Digital Anemometer" I mentioned above. #42
Jan2020 (8).jpg It read 50.8 mph during the day and the wind was gusting from different directions. I tried to park with the rear into the wind and a few trees at the front, but I couldn't get much shelter. The winds seemed higher in the evening but I was too busy making things safe to take a reading. The Cali is a very stable vehicle, but with the buffeting I was getting the van was rocking and I decided it was too windy to put the roof up.
If I'm by myself and the wind gets up I open windows on the downwind side, put my head in the roof space with the lights on up there and watch the canvas as the roof comes down. You can easily reach the button to lower the roof and if it does pop out stop, go outside and push it back in again, then carry on. At a certain point the canvas is folded in so far that it can't blow out again and you can remove your head from the roof space, turn off the lights then lower it till it locks.
During the last storm I was sleeping in up there the Silver Screen was blown off the windscreen. I don't know what the wind speed was because I was making everything else secure, but that had never happened before or subsequently.
Whilst I have also never seen a wind damaged roof I can imagine the scissors getting bent a bit and being difficult to put back down again or the bellows material being torn from its fastening around the roof after high, gusty winds.

Simon

Here’s a question for amateur physicists...

If parked in strong winds, with the pop top up and rear facing into the wind, will the wind be trying to close the roof, or will it be trying to lift the roof?

Just wondering how you sleep in 50mph in the pop top, the noise and rocking must be bad ?
From 6 years of year round using the van for work in the Scotlands west coast if the BBC forecast gusts of up to 45 mph its probably ok to sleep with the roof down, 45-50 will be a rocking poor nights sleep, above 50mph I go home, little sleep even with ear plugs plus the rocking..
Having said that we survived storm Ophelia in 2017 in Southern Scotland with expected winds of 60-80mph, 120mph gusts recorded in Ireland that night. We had a steep drop in front of the van which I think deflected the wind up over us.
The main thing is to be away from any trees, even seemingly solid one seem to have a habit of falling down in storms which could ruin your cali experience permanently.

If parked in strong winds, with the pop top up and rear facing into the wind, will the wind be trying to close the roof, or will it be trying to lift the roof?
I would have thought it would be a closing pressure pushing against the hydraulic rams and since those are locked the roof scissors would be the first thing to bend ?

The effect will be neutral. There will be an initial downward pressure but the wind bouncing off will cause eddies which will give an uplift. Actually, I just made that up. Sorry, no idea.