Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Popup tent - do you water proof?

Gelertthedog

Gelertthedog

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, does anybody know if the canvass on the pop roof requires waterproofing after a certain age or not? If so, what is best to use?
Cheers

I've had one for about 5 yrs now and it's remained waterproof.

It's one from Decathlon, was £40 so would probably replace if any probs as have found that "waterproofing" never really works terribly well for very long

Hi, does anybody know if the canvass on the pop roof requires waterproofing after a certain age or not? If so, what is best to use?
Cheers
Some have with mixed results, but VW do not recommend it.

I cleaned mine both inside and outside with suitable products. When completely dried I applied a good coating of Chemical Guys Fabric Guard, both inside/outside.

Cheers
Mines still waterproof after 11 years .

When we got a New T5 some years ago, we sprayed the pop top canvas thoroughly with good quality canvas proofing spray. It did not cause any harm seemingly e.g. staining or damage to the canvas etc. However, did it actually enhance the water resistance? This is a question we cannot answer as we sprayed the van when new so we never used it without the spray. Does anyone else do this? What are the pros and cons? We are soon to take delivery of a new 6.1 Ocean with a dark blue canvas roof, our previous was grey. We would really appreciate people’s views and recommendations. We know you can buy a wrap and we had one but never used it so we wont bother buying one this time.

When we got a New T5 some years ago, we sprayed the pop top canvas thoroughly with good quality canvas proofing spray. It did not cause any harm seemingly e.g. staining or damage to the canvas etc. However, did it actually enhance the water resistance? This is a question we cannot answer as we sprayed the van when new so we never used it without the spray. Does anyone else do this? What are the pros and cons? We are soon to take delivery of a new 6.1 Ocean with a dark blue canvas roof, our previous was grey. We would really appreciate people’s views and recommendations. We know you can buy a wrap and we had one but never used it so we wont bother buying one this time.
The T6 and T6.1 use a different material apparantly unlike the T5 and T5.1 which used the traditional “ tent” canvas.

This makes you realise how fast things can change at drop of a hat. I think we will write off any overseas travel for the forceable

I've waterproofed ours now a couple of times with the spray cans from Aldi. I personally think it does make a difference as even in really bad rain it does keep it out.. Would it be the same if I hadn't waterproofed? I really dont know but it certainly hasn't done it any harm...Cost about a fiver for 3 cans...

Back