Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti - Qube 335 - Query - Carrying Cleaning Liquids in provided space

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a larger (400ml?) bottle of Aqua Rinse in the base of the Porta Potti, and then just keep a few of the Aqua Chem Green sachets in the van sealed in a bag. Much smaller and less spill-prone than the liquid.

Keith Smith

Keith Smith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The other concern with cleaning fluids is to get one that is more bio friendly and suitable for septic tanks. A lot of the sites I've stayed at have signs saying not to empty non bio friendly chemicals down their drains as they kill off the bacteria in the tank and stop it digesting the waste.

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We bought our chemicals from Aldis cant remember the price but they seem to be fine.. We use the same in the top and the bottom tanks as they dont smell too chemically. Or sometimes we use zoflura in the top tank for a more pleasant smell. Some chemicals you buy are REALLY strong and tend to linger too long..
As far as emptying the thing it appears thats a mans job and its one thing my wife has never offered to do. Judging from the campsites we have visited ive never ever seen a Female toilet emptier... Unless you know different...

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks for all the info and advise we’ve got the ‘gist of it’ and it’s now sitting in the van on it’s tray under the sink/ drawer compartment... a bit of a shame that we’ve had to lose a shelf to accommodate it but there’s always a compromise. We’ve been able to rejig pots and pans to the other side. Hope it’s use is ‘emergencies’ only or the odd night time ‘too many beers’ by my hubby, who may indeed be the main ‘emptier’. Will be interesting to see how our dog reacts to any overnight usage , I’ll be maintaining a safe distance upstairs

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thanks for all the info and advise we’ve got the ‘gist of it’ and it’s now sitting in the van on it’s tray under the sink/ drawer compartment... a bit of a shame that we’ve had to lose a shelf to accommodate it but there’s always a compromise. We’ve been able to rejig pots and pans to the other side. Hope it’s use is ‘emergencies’ only or the odd night time ‘too many beers’ by my hubby, who may indeed be the main ‘emptier’. Will be interesting to see how our dog reacts to any overnight usage , I’ll be maintaining a safe distance upstairs
We decided that cupboard space was much more important than using it for the toilet. My wife made a cover that slips over it nicely and we use it as a foot rest at night and put it outside during the day when we are camping. Everyone has a different view... Some are completely against owning one and use the nearest field or hedgerow so other campers can walk it into their van..I say its your waste so its your problem..

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We decided that cupboard space was much more important than using it for the toilet. My wife made a cover that slips over it nicely and we use it as a foot rest at night and put it outside during the day when we are camping. Everyone has a different view... Some are completely against owning one and use the nearest field or hedgerow so other campers can walk it into their van..I say its your waste so its your problem..
That is a bit extreme. No way would I ever countenance having a toilet in my kitchen cupboard, living room or bedroom. I don’t at home and certainly would not in a California. Nor do I wish to carry a load of toxic chemicals, even if they are bio friendly.
Instead we have a toilet tent, a Bog in a Bag and the biodegradable bags sold by the company that are disposed of in the general waste along with the dog owners poo bags, or do they take them home in the California to spread on their own lawns etc:.
I certainly do not use the nearest field or hedgerow as you suggest, unlike many dog owners pets.

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have a drive away awning so it might live in there when we are stationary and the boot is taken up with all the other paraphernalia that each of us carry so it has to live somewhere on board as we travel. Hygiene, as another commentator is concerned with ,isn’t only a matter of where things are situated but ‘cleanliness’... and it seems some of us are concerned about toxins and chemicals ... well we are driving diesel vans !

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have a drive away awning so it might live in there when we are stationary and the boot is taken up with all the other paraphernalia that each of us carry so it has to live somewhere on board as we travel. Hygiene, as another commentator is concerned with ,isn’t only a matter of where things are situated but ‘cleanliness’... and it seems some of us are concerned about toxins and chemicals ... well we are driving diesel vans !
Not in my kitchen or bedroom I’m not.

Stuart Higgins

Stuart Higgins

Monty
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The bottom half of the Porta Potti has a very convenient provided space for carrying the cleaning liquids. Has anyone found two bottles that fit into that space, which can hold both the cleaning liquids?

Thanks in advance.
Elsan organic, 400ml fits perfectly. It is suitable for the waste tank and rinse so you only need one bottle £6.36 on amazon.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Elsan organic, 400ml fits perfectly. It is suitable for the waste tank and rinse so you only need one bottle £6.36 on amazon.
Handy to know, thanks.
When we first got ours last year I contacted Thetford to say I was disappointed not the get the little bottles. They found a couple of empty ones in the back of the store room and sent them to me. They don’t hold much though so this 400ml bottle looks a whole lot better.

P

Pete Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
That is a bit extreme. No way would I ever countenance having a toilet in my kitchen cupboard, living room or bedroom. I don’t at home and certainly would not in a California. Nor do I wish to carry a load of toxic chemicals, even if they are bio friendly.
Instead we have a toilet tent, a Bog in a Bag and the biodegradable bags sold by the company that are disposed of in the general waste along with the dog owners poo bags, or do they take them home in the California to spread on their own lawns etc:.
I certainly do not use the nearest field or hedgerow as you suggest, unlike many dog owners pets.
But you drive a VW Diesel that kicks out more toxic chemicals than any porta loo.
And I take it you never stop on a lay-by in France or Spain..You can’t move for all the toilet paper ....You chose what you want to go to the toilet in and let others do the same.

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
But you drive a VW Diesel that kicks out more toxic chemicals than any porta loo.
And I take it you never stop on a lay-by in France or Spain..You can’t move for all the toilet paper ....You chose what you want to go to the toilet in and let others do the same.
As long as it’s not in the nearest lay-by...

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Wouldn’t know . Never used a lay-by for toilet purposes. You also drive a diesel as well, so that cancels out me driving a diesel.
So toxic chemicals vs biodegradation.:thumb

K

Kedaw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I've just took delivery of my thetford 335 and noticed you can store chemicals in the loo itself. Does anyone make use of this? If so, any suggestions on make and size of chemical bottles that will fit into the small space?

P

Pete Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I've just took delivery of my thetford 335 and noticed you can store chemicals in the loo itself. Does anyone make use of this? If so, any suggestions on make and size of chemical bottles that will fit into the small space?
When we bought our porta potti it already contained the bottles with the chemicals in..We just fill those up ..It must have been a promotion at the time..

Stuart Higgins

Stuart Higgins

Monty
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
@Kedaw , did you read the posts above? (or was this a case where you started a new post and it was merged on here by the admins?). REad the thread and you should get your answer.

K

Kedaw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
When we bought our porta potti it already contained the bottles with the chemicals in..We just fill those up ..It must have been a promotion at the time..
Thanks for the response, the chemicals don't come with the 335 any more but this thread is exactly what I needed.