Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti - Qube 335 - Query - Carrying Cleaning Liquids in provided space

kurienp

kurienp

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
The bottom half of the Porta Potti has a very convenient provided space for carrying the cleaning liquids. Has anyone found two bottles that fit into that space, which can hold both the cleaning liquids?

Thanks in advance.

Mine came with the 2 bottles I just refill them. Was yours second hand?
Nope, brand new from the shop. Think I should check with the shop then.

While searching did find the 120 ml bottles that fit into the slot though. Let me see what the shop says first.

Thanks for the info though.

The bottom half of the Porta Potti has a very convenient provided space for carrying the cleaning liquids. Has anyone found two bottles that fit into that space, which can hold both the cleaning liquids?

Thanks in advance.
They don’t supply them anymore. I emailed them and they sent me a pair. They said they didn’t have many left.

Mine came with the two small botles also , not fron the club shop doh and i bought the PP seven years ago ....i belive can get them aftermarket.
I refill them but actualy don't store them inside the PP.

The bottles only hold one dose of liquid anyway, so not as handy as you may think.. When mine arrived and I tried it I found it wasn’t worth storing the bottles underneath the loo, so like Hotel California I don’t bother.

We keep the two small bottles in position as back up if we run out. Otherwise have slightly bigger bottles stored in rear cupboard for general use. Incidentally we use a large syringe to extract the fluid. No mess, easy to measure and squirt into bowl.

I use Innocent Smoothies 250ml bottles for that. They come with different colours, So I have blue for AquaKem blue, a Green for Aquakem Green, and a Pink for the Aqua Rinse. Since I need 60ml each load, I can get 4 load with each bottle, that's enough for a 2 weeks hol, considering I empty the toilet tank every 2-3 days.
They don't fir in the recess, but they are so small they fit everywhere and they lid has a good seal.

The bottles only hold one dose of liquid anyway, so not as handy as you may think.. When mine arrived and I tried it I found it wasn’t worth storing the bottles underneath the loo, so like Hotel California I don’t bother.
I didn’t know they fitted under. Have always kept them in the made to measure recess in the fitted tray for the bottom of the kitchen cupboard.

Thank you everyone for your inputs/feedback.

Documenting my final decision, in case anyone comes across this thread in the future.

Thetford replied that they have stopped manufacturing the bottles so no more available. They mentioned that the slot exists in the based due to the tooling that they have already created :)

Have not checked with the club shop yet, but suspect they may have run out as well.

I would personally like to keep some liquid in the slot to ensure that I always have some emergency/backup liquid if needed. The drawback of this is - it makes the PP at least another 400 gms heavier. Moving it from the rear of the van into the sleeping area at night - is fairly easy, but now will need to lug 400gms extra :) This is our regular use-case.

OBI Camping and Leisure (google for them) have small 200 ML bottles of both liquids that they sell and advertise as specifically made for the slot in the base of the PP 335. I have ordered both liquids and will store them in the slot. Will share a pic when the bottles arrive and are slotted into the recess in the base of the 335.

As mentioned, for regular use, keep the larger bottles in the rear cupboard. :thumb

The small bottles from OBI arrived in the post today. The AQUA Rinse is 100 ML and the BLUE is 120 ml.

IMG_20200305_153943.jpg

Bottles small and compact enough to fit right inside the slot in the PP very well. Happy with that.
IMG_20200305_154003.jpg

Will use and see now how that works.

The main reason i don't store them in there is becose if you re-use them (like i do) the cap seal wears out and leaks so watch out storing them aside .;)

I found that Sainsburys own range of clip lock plastic boxes have a size that nicely fits 2 x 375ml thetford fluids. This in turn fits nicely next to the po. This has the added benefit of keeping the smell of the fluids fully contained!

I use Innocent Smoothies 250ml bottles for that. They come with different colours, So I have blue for AquaKem blue, a Green for Aquakem Green, and a Pink for the Aqua Rinse. Since I need 60ml each load, I can get 4 load with each bottle, that's enough for a 2 weeks hol, considering I empty the toilet tank every 2-3 days.
They don't fir in the recess, but they are so small they fit everywhere and they lid has a good seal.
Hi there, I was slightly nervous reading about you decanting toilet chemicals into a ‘Smoothies’ bottle. This practice is highly dangerous especially if children are present. There are many cases of children drinking poisons with fatal consequences. These chemicals are very poisonous to humans. Many years ago a schoolfriend’s sister drank ‘paraquat’ from a Coke bottle having been decanted by her father. She died. Sorry, I had to comment. Regards

Hi there, I was slightly nervous reading about you decanting toilet chemicals into a ‘Smoothies’ bottle. This practice is highly dangerous especially if children are present. There are many cases of children drinking poisons with fatal consequences. These chemicals are very poisonous to humans. Many years ago a schoolfriend’s sister drank ‘paraquat’ from a Coke bottle having been decanted by her father. She died. Sorry, I had to comment. Regards
You are absolutely correct. In case if small children present it shouldn't be done.

We’ve just bought a 335 porta potti from the VW shop. Can anyone tell me what the ‘vent button’ is for ( on bottom section of unit ) ?
Also the measurements of Pink /Blue chemicals info only indicate ‘water to be added’ but not the ratio ... advise welcome, thanks

The vent button allows air in when you empty the bottom tank. From memory the top rinse tank and bottom waste tank are both 10 litres, the volume of chemicals needed is shown on each bottle.

We’ve just bought a 335 porta potti from the VW shop. Can anyone tell me what the ‘vent button’ is for ( on bottom section of unit ) ?
Also the measurements of Pink /Blue chemicals info only indicate ‘water to be added’ but not the ratio ... advise welcome, thanks
If you go up into the mountains then you need to press the vent button to equalise the pressure in the holding tank or your in for a surprise, a very messy surprise, when you use it in anger. :talktothehand

Without pressing the vent button you get a nasty GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! leaving you very vulnerable to splash back when the liquid hits the waste disposal. Press the button and pour gently!

It should be 60ml of aqua kem blue or green diluted in 1.5l of water.
Btw, I've tried 5 different types of toilet paper, including the recommended 1€ a roll especially designed and formulated Thetford looroll. None of them disgregate in real life usage. Also they don't get stuck when emptying the 335 tank. So just use some normal cellulose (70%) 3€ for 12 rolls toilet paper.
Especially with fu(king Covid you'll have to empty the tank way more often and there's no chance any toilet paper would disgregate.
So don't waste your money.

I have a larger (400ml?) bottle of Aqua Rinse in the base of the Porta Potti, and then just keep a few of the Aqua Chem Green sachets in the van sealed in a bag. Much smaller and less spill-prone than the liquid.

The other concern with cleaning fluids is to get one that is more bio friendly and suitable for septic tanks. A lot of the sites I've stayed at have signs saying not to empty non bio friendly chemicals down their drains as they kill off the bacteria in the tank and stop it digesting the waste.

We bought our chemicals from Aldis cant remember the price but they seem to be fine.. We use the same in the top and the bottom tanks as they dont smell too chemically. Or sometimes we use zoflura in the top tank for a more pleasant smell. Some chemicals you buy are REALLY strong and tend to linger too long..
As far as emptying the thing it appears thats a mans job and its one thing my wife has never offered to do. Judging from the campsites we have visited ive never ever seen a Female toilet emptier... Unless you know different...

Thanks for all the info and advise we’ve got the ‘gist of it’ and it’s now sitting in the van on it’s tray under the sink/ drawer compartment... a bit of a shame that we’ve had to lose a shelf to accommodate it but there’s always a compromise. We’ve been able to rejig pots and pans to the other side. Hope it’s use is ‘emergencies’ only or the odd night time ‘too many beers’ by my hubby, who may indeed be the main ‘emptier’. Will be interesting to see how our dog reacts to any overnight usage , I’ll be maintaining a safe distance upstairs

Thanks for all the info and advise we’ve got the ‘gist of it’ and it’s now sitting in the van on it’s tray under the sink/ drawer compartment... a bit of a shame that we’ve had to lose a shelf to accommodate it but there’s always a compromise. We’ve been able to rejig pots and pans to the other side. Hope it’s use is ‘emergencies’ only or the odd night time ‘too many beers’ by my hubby, who may indeed be the main ‘emptier’. Will be interesting to see how our dog reacts to any overnight usage , I’ll be maintaining a safe distance upstairs
We decided that cupboard space was much more important than using it for the toilet. My wife made a cover that slips over it nicely and we use it as a foot rest at night and put it outside during the day when we are camping. Everyone has a different view... Some are completely against owning one and use the nearest field or hedgerow so other campers can walk it into their van..I say its your waste so its your problem..

Back