Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Potential Cali Owners, Expensive but nice.

Wogga

Wogga

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Morning members, we did own a coachbuilt Moho but we are seriously considering a Cali, only the two of us with the G‘kids occasionally. It will be on our drive, big bonus, and our only vehicle so general runaround and holiday hotel. Will need a drive away awning as I am liable to be banished as I can’t see the beds big enough of my hefty non surfer build. We are not far from the lakes and dales so ideally suited for weekending. Rationale if I am buying a car anyway I might as well make it multi purpose.

Had a good look around, got a few quotes already for a brand new one, just wondering what the End of year situ will be, old enough to remember import duties previously. It hasn’t been mentioned so far or pressure applied I.e. buy now to avoid a import duty.

look forward to a bit of chat and great info from the knowledgeable.

Morning members, we did own a coachbuilt Moho but we are seriously considering a Cali, only the two of us with the G‘kids occasionally. It will be on our drive, big bonus, and our only vehicle so general runaround and holiday hotel. Will need a drive away awning as I am liable to be banished as I can’t see the beds big enough of my hefty non surfer build. We are not far from the lakes and dales so ideally suited for weekending. Rationale if I am buying a car anyway I might as well make it multi purpose.

Had a good look around, got a few quotes already for a brand new one, just wondering what the End of year situ will be, old enough to remember import duties previously. It hasn’t been mentioned so far or pressure applied I.e. buy now to avoid a import duty.

:welcome I always feel, once the decision is made, go for it as quickly as you can. Good luck finding your Cali.

Placing an order for a new one now for delivery ahead of Jan 1st is a good move. Used prices are a bit bonkers at the moment so might as well go new. A few niggles with the control panel and electrics should be sorted by then.

:welcome Hope you get one ordered soon ready for next season.

Her is an alternative view that those on the Forum who hope their California will keep a high resale price will not like.
2020 is a year like no other in recent times.
All manner of Leisure vehicles have been flying off the forecourt as people decide to staycation. Hence 2nd hand resale priors have remained so high making purchasing a new vehicle an easy decision. There have been comments about how members have lost so little when trading up.
But, it can’t last and the reckoning is coming.
The world will undergo a massive economic downturn. Many will lose their jobs, especially at the lower end, but those who retain their jobs will probably have to accept pay cuts eg: BA pilots taking a 20% cut, some companies talking about permanent home working but with a sting - a salary cut.
Also many who had bought these leisure vehicles are not really into that life style and come winter, economic downturn they will hope to sell. Coupled with this, these new owners are waiting for cheap, safe package holidays which will return as Covid 19 recedes or a vaccine becomes available.
Then we will see the 2nd hand market flooded with these excess vehicles. Prices will plummet and the gap between new and old will expand exponentially.
VW don’t want a low priced 2nd hand market as that will knock new sales, and that’s all they are interested in, but with a falling economy with wages falling, raw materials become cheaper etc: and I can see New Vehicle prices falling to keep a reasonable differential with 2nd hand prices.
By falling, it may not be a price cut on the basic vehicle, but more Options as standard, extras included, better finance deals etc: anything to keep production of new vehicles moving.
Come the fall we’ll start seeing very low milage T6/6.1 appearing with the usual, cooker never used, water tank never filled, plastic covers on mattresses with 2 /3 year warranties going for a song.

Import Taxes would be a minor inconvenience if imposed.

Interesting and thought provoking, we bought our last Moho end of season and got a substantial saving with dealer haggled extras. I agree the market is having a Covid boom, dealers are actively chasing stock and prices are inflated. I got a good amount on our Moho, but it is for re sale at an eye watering price to boot.

The possibility of getting a brand spanker it looking like a dim possibility so actively considering secondhand. I have done outbid and beat the deal whatever their names are and can clearly get 10% discount on a brand spanker.

Having now been looking there is only one on sale second hand I would pull the trigger on, unfortunately I would want to pay a decent deposit which, being tax efficient, I won't have in place until April. The financial situation causing a delay should pay dividends as I will not rush and I may just see some downturn once the one timers have had their time.

When you read posts about delays on new vans, I am also wary about ordering a van now, not getting a delivery until 21 and getting stung with the possibility of import duty, maybe an apocalyptic scenario but negated with a secondhand van.

Last edited:
Her is an alternative view that those on the Forum who hope their California will keep a high resale price will not like.
2020 is a year like no other in recent times.
All manner of Leisure vehicles have been flying off the forecourt as people decide to staycation. Hence 2nd hand resale priors have remained so high making purchasing a new vehicle an easy decision. There have been comments about how members have lost so little when trading up.
But, it can’t last and the reckoning is coming.
The world will undergo a massive economic downturn. Many will lose their jobs, especially at the lower end, but those who retain their jobs will probably have to accept pay cuts eg: BA pilots taking a 20% cut, some companies talking about permanent home working but with a sting - a salary cut.
Also many who had bought these leisure vehicles are not really into that life style and come winter, economic downturn they will hope to sell. Coupled with this, these new owners are waiting for cheap, safe package holidays which will return as Covid 19 recedes or a vaccine becomes available.
Then we will see the 2nd hand market flooded with these excess vehicles. Prices will plummet and the gap between new and old will expand exponentially.
VW don’t want a low priced 2nd hand market as that will knock new sales, and that’s all they are interested in, but with a falling economy with wages falling, raw materials become cheaper etc: and I can see New Vehicle prices falling to keep a reasonable differential with 2nd hand prices.
By falling, it may not be a price cut on the basic vehicle, but more Options as standard, extras included, better finance deals etc: anything to keep production of new vehicles moving.
Come the fall we’ll start seeing very low milage T6/6.1 appearing with the usual, cooker never used, water tank never filled, plastic covers on mattresses with 2 /3 year warranties going for a song.

Import Taxes would be a minor inconvenience if imposed.
I don't disagree. I've predicted a glut of used vans come autumn.

The apocalyptic scenario MAY happen. What we know for CERTAIN is that used prices post Covid are bonkers.

So without the world falling apart, going new is wiser than paying over the odds for 2nd hand now. But if the world does fall apart, there will be no where to hide.

Contradicting myself, I left for 5 mins to read Patrick Minford's column in the Telegraph where he is warning of hyper inflation, which often occurs (counter intuitively) after a crisis. So maybe dump all your cash into assets (Cali's) and ride the inflationary wave!

Maybe, looks if many things can happen, perhaps people will organise and resist the sweatshp predicted?

Stagflation is a real possibility, although IMO, if you put 5 economists in a room and ask them to agree on one scenario most likely to happen, you will undoubtably get 10 scenarios, no agreement and lots of counter arguments and lots of prevarication to the remaing 8 possible scenarios.
If economists were really that good at predicting future outcomes, they would all be retired a long time ago!
What is for sure, there is a road crash on the horizon and the world is hurtling towards it, regardless of which country you reside, whether the Contry you reside in, or other countries, manage to get away with only minor damage or if intensive care and Rehab is required over many years will be anyone’s guess.
Certain Banks are currently preparing for major loan defaults, as this is how their economists see things panning out, ( currently) despite what looks like a dead cat bounce in the housing market, from adversity comes opportunity, perversely interest rates may rise for savers if stagflation does happen.
The only thing that is for sure is the Sun will rise each morning.

Back