Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pots & Pans and space saving gadgets

image.jpeg This works for us. Nothing special, cheap no sticks from tesco, it just fits and is eaisy to acess. This is it packed, then out, then spread out.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Things packed away need to be eaisily accessed while cooking, with the table out. Hence I have a pull out box for the lower shelf as I got fed up of bending down and unpacking everything to get the items at the back
image.jpeg I
And note the glasses in the Leffe 4 pack carrier with oil and ketchup....perfect fit and doesn't rattle.

image.jpeg

Two nesting mess tins for £15,

Quest mini oven.

Pre-frozen meals in ex-curry house tin trays cook very well in the quest mini oven whilst the mess tins can cook up an amazing assortment of side dishes on the two burners,

Nice weather then its outside with the barbie, warm bread, jacket potatoes, etc cooked in the oven or, if no hook up, lots of pasta sides rustled up to go with whatever's on the barbie in the two cheap mess tins.
Quest mini oven Looks perfect. £22 on Amazon Ta

Quest mini oven Looks perfect. £22 on Amazon Ta

It works very well. Also using disposable food trays means no washing up of pans.

I also now use disposable plates, knives and forks with the exception of two sharp serrated utility knives.

Washing up when wild camping or just on stopovers I found to be an unnecessary chore and a drain on limited water supply.

It works very well. Also using disposable food trays means no washing up of pans.

I also now use disposable plates, knives and forks with the exception of two sharp serrated utility knives.

Washing up when wild camping or just on stopovers I found to be an unnecessary chore and a drain on limited water supply.
Thanks! I'm with you. I suspect it will be a couple of enamel plates courtesy of Aldi for the longer trips and disposable on the shorter ones. Anything for an easy minimalist life.

Thanks! I'm with you. I suspect it will be a couple of enamel plates courtesy of Aldi for the longer trips and disposable on the shorter ones. Anything for an easy minimalist life.

Paper cups as well. I got fed up of trying to keep melamine cups free of tea stains. I have tried everything from steradent to corrosive chemicals.

I bought some very nice cups with heat resistant sleeves, nice lipped edges, for around £32 for 500.

I bought some very nice cups with heat resistant sleeves, nice lipped edges, for around £32 for 500.
I think I saw you on the A6 selling tea and coffees :D

I think I saw you on the A6 selling tea and coffees :D

Mine was the "healthy option" van ..... Teas without sugar, bacon butties with the fat cut off and toast spread with benecol.

Business was lousy :sad

We have a double skillet, two (frying) pans that can be connected to form a Dutch oven. The handles detach for travelling. Chicken and potatoes cooked in there, ooh, lovely.
We also have two stainless saucepans with small round handles, so easy to pack,
We cook as far as is possible, outside, on a two ring electric hob.
Not advisable in pouring rain.
We take real glasses for wine quaffing, stored in plastic cups for travel.
Mostly Rohan clothes and as little as possible. Stored in flat zip bags mostly Eagle Creek, in the under seat drawer.

I also rely mostly on Rohan,

Keep them folded forever, shake once, wear .... wash and dry overnight, brilliant stuff.

Keep them folded forever, shake once, wear .... wash and dry overnight, brilliant stuff.
Yep Rohan is excellent. They had a shop at Clarks Village in Street, Somerset but gone and closed it. Used to sell end of line stuff. Got coats walking kit etc. Converted me!

Another vote for the Bugaboo pan set. I got mine from Cotswold Leisure with a discount from the Forum. As others have said, not the cheapest, but well made and pans that are large enough to cook things in.
I did manage to get an extra handle by asking the makers which made all the difference.
It stacks together perfectly into a very small bundle in a supplied net. The saucepan lids fit very well so the water boils quickly and they wash up very easily.

Hi all
We are in the process of gearing up for our first cali family holiday this summer.
We have bought (although not used yet) tefal ingenio ..... Here is the tip: buy from amazon.fr as prices are half of UK prices.
We bought the top of the range induction set for about £55 pounds including delivery to UK. (Non induction set about £40 inc delivery). Quality looks amazing. Just keep an eye with camelcamel as prices go up and down and buy when the time is right....

Tefal L3829002 Ingénio Set Complet de 10 Pièces Aluminium Noir https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B016NWMO02/

Tefal L0369602 Ingenio 5 - Batterie de Cuisine Set de 10 Pièces Anti-Adhésif Aluminium Noir https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00GN58B8E/

wow thanks Monica for this tip - the first option is the best - you live and learn!!

Good stuff isn't it Jen?

People get hooked on their clothes, it's like a drug

David

Another vote for the Gsi bugaboo pan set. Not particulary cheap but certainly robust and quite compact in its wee bag / net thing. ;)

Can't be considered as space saving, but a small pressure cooker is a fantastic bit of kit to have in the van.

Uses much less water and gas to cook things.

We have a Hawkins 1.5L but it is a bit on the small side for 2 people, 2L would be better I think.

dan
Lakeland do this one. You can save a bit of space by removing the handles, but then you’ll need oven gloves to lift/move it. Locking mechanism is really easy. Makes a great sturdy saucepan too. https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18435/Lakeland-3L-Pressure-Cooker-

Another vote for the GSI bugaboo pan set. Not particulary cheap but certainly robust and quite compact in its wee bag / net thing. ;)
We have had our GSI Bugaboo pan set for 4½ years now and it still is just as good as new. It takes up far less space than most of the competitors, the pans are a handy size and everything fits together. They get a lot of use and still perform well. The extra handle can now be bought from GSI, apparently, and that is really useful.
Bugaboo pan set.jpg

We have had our GSI Bugaboo pan set for 4½ years now and it still is just as good as new. It takes up far less space than most of the competitors, the pans are a handy size and everything fits together. They get a lot of use and still perform well. The extra handle can now be bought from GSI, apparently, and that is really useful.
View attachment 68003

Good to hear! We've not long had the set and only used once so far. Could definitely do with the extra handle. :thumb

Back