Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
:?:
Some of the recent post caused me to asked the forum the following electrical questions.
I was about to buy an inverter to be able to charge my laptop but seeing Calikevs cable I guess I do not need one but just a cable to plug into the diamond shape plug behind the passenger seat as this plug has its own inverter an I correct ?
Also the uk standard 3 pin socket on the end of kitchen unit is in correct this only works when hooked up to the grid?
:thanks

Hi andy
Yes you are right the Cali has a built in inverter that uses the dc leisure batteries and converts it to ac current ie 240 v it is the little diamond shaped two pin socket behind the drivers seat
It will only work upto 150watts max so you need to see how much power your laptop needs to charge and yes the 3 pin socket at the end of the sink works on hook up only :thumb

It is exactly as you wrote.
So you don't actually need an inverter.
Just remember it's max 150 watt.

thanks just need to check the laptop now

Have made up cable powers up lap top and charges fine Again thanks for the advise on setting this up

I am not clear on this. The socket behind the passenger seat on a 6.1 is that a UK three pin plug? Can someone advise please or better still send a pic?

Reactions: A&J
I thought the socket powered by an inverter had moved to the base of the drivers seat on a T6.1 & was now 3 pin? with the normal 3 pin one remaining on the end of the sink.

I thought the socket powered by an inverter had moved to the base of the drivers seat on a T6.1 & was now 3 pin? with the normal 3 pin one remaining on the end of the sink.
You maybe right but still only 200 Watts. That's 0.83 Amps max. with or without hook up.

How bizarre, my 20 plate 6.1 has EU 2 hole sockets at the end of kitchen and on drivers seat :rolleyes:
Does this mean I have a EuroDeCampo ? o_O
Not tried plugging laptop in, but will need EU to USA convertor ‍♂️

How bizarre, my 20 plate 6.1 has EU 2 hole sockets at the end of kitchen and on drivers seat :rolleyes:
Does this mean I have a EuroDeCampo ? o_O
Not tried plugging laptop in, but will need EU to USA convertor ‍♂
Seems to be an anomaly, I think it is a raffle on what kitchen unit they shove in on production. Not been highlighted as an issue. @GrumpyGranddad have you got 3 pin sockets at the end of your kitchen and the inverter?
I saw one post where the inverter socket was multi purpose it would accept 2 pin or 3 pin plugs. As for the one on the kitchen I'd get the dealer to replace it.

The inverter socket is on the drivers seat adjacent to the handbrake on my T6.1 (MY21). And yes it take a standard U.K. 3-pin plug. The mains socket is still at the end of the kitchen unit behind the passenger seat, along with 2 USB sockets.

The inverter socket is on the drivers seat adjacent to the handbrake on my T6.1 (MY21). And yes it take a standard U.K. 3-pin plug. The mains socket is still at the end of the kitchen unit behind the passenger seat, along with 2 USB sockets.
A couple of pictures. Don’t forget this is on a MY21 T6.1
I believe on MY20 the inverter may still be on the kitchen unit?

D8F97792-B9DC-4FFA-A1D1-90D47B3C2812.jpeg

8CF9924B-F86E-47DA-8A75-47F204277ADD.jpeg

The inverter stocker takes both 3-pin U.K. and 2-pin EU plugs.

Socket!!
Damn predictive text. Must switch it off!

Thank you Will, we can confirm that your California has been correctly equipped so your campervan should have EU sockets, UK sockets are not available as standard or as an optional extra, so this can not be retrofitted.

We hope this helps, if you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to get back in touch, we'd be happy to help.
From @volkswagon_VC
On Twitter.
So MY20 had EU sockets.
which is fine, I just have some Swiss converters :cheers

Thank you Will, we can confirm that your California has been correctly equipped so your campervan should have EU sockets, UK sockets are not available as standard or as an optional extra, so this can not be retrofitted.

We hope this helps, if you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to get back in touch, we'd be happy to help.
From @volkswagon_VC
On Twitter.
So MY20 had EU sockets.
which is fine, I just have some Swiss converters :cheers

That is ridiculous - you need to send them Grumpygranddads pics - assuming of course yours was a uk ordered right hand drive van?

Yep, it is a right hand drive model, it was made for VW UK Rental department to be used for 3 months before selling on. I do understand that the lovely person who is typing on Twitter might actually not know. Tbh.
Ive just sent the pics of GG sockets and said.
Mmmmm I don’t think so, exact same model but My21, and has UK sockets.
@GrumpyGranddad Did you do a special order for the UK sockets ?

Yep, it is a right hand drive model, it was made for VW UK Rental department to be used for 3 months before selling on. I do understand that the lovely person who is typing on Twitter might actually not know. Tbh.
Ive just sent the pics of GG sockets and said.
Mmmmm I don’t think so, exact same model but My21, and has UK sockets.
@GrumpyGranddad Did you do a special order for the UK sockets ?
No mine was the standard MY21 build with new 300W inveter. I do believe that MY20 had a 150W inverter with an EU socket though. The Club Shop sells a Swiss type plug in adapter.

Thx GG
Where’s the inverter. Under the cupboard in the cubby hole with the rear Lesuire battery ? Think I saw it bolted to the underside of cupboard when I was having a nosey...

Nice reply from VW.
Thanks for that, Will. From these images, we are unable to determine of this has been modified in anyway or was a coachbuilt camper from a third-party company. Our Van Centres are able to retrofit the three-pin for the kitchenette cupboard socket in your T6.1 Ocean, Will, and costs should be settled by us. If you'd like to provide us with your best contact number, postcode and email address, we'd be happy to get your local Van Centre in touch to discuss further.
Cool beans.

Could be wrong but I thought the 300w inverter was now under the drivers seat. It would make sense as all californias have a drivers seat, but not all have the cupboard.

C2185BBB-002D-4C2D-81DF-09613994FDFF.jpeg
MY20 has 300w inverter also. Which is nice. I got a Swiss adaptor from Zurich airport last month.

Thx GG
Where’s the inverter. Under the cupboard in the cubby hole with the rear Lesuire battery ? Think I saw it bolted to the underside of cupboard when I was having a nosey...
Sorry Tiredeyes69, no idea where the actual inverter is located but the socket is on the lower left of the drivers seat by the handbrake. My guess would be that the inverter itself (if not part of the socket assembly) is local to the socket? I.e. under the drivers seat?

Okay, cheers, I’m thinking it is under the drivers seat. There’s a large heatsink so that’ll be it.
I’ll grab a pic at the weekend of what’s above the rear Lesuire battery.

Back