Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Powering off accessories when starting an egngine.

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I've read in manual that when you are starting an engine everything from 12v sockets should be turned off or it may damage those accessories.
Pretty worried about turning off the fridge each time I want to start an engine...
I suppose most of cali users don't bother with that?

Which 12v sockets?
Everything behind the front cabin is run from the Leisure Batteries. On the SE I have had no problems. Even checked with a digital voltmeter in a rear socket. No Voltage spikes when starting of any significant degree. When Fridge switched on it stays on .

Thats is probally one of those warnings to make sure nobody claims VW afther a failure of any kind plugged in gear....

Agree with Hotel but might also be to maximise the power from the battery when starting a cold engine.

Pretty sure it is about leisure battery sockets. There is just one on a dashboard that runs from engine battery.
Was so annoyed by the manual. Like 60% of a book are red warning like "don't drink and drive" "make sure to have proper vaccination when traveling abroad"... And almost no info on california itself.
Like how to reach fuse box, how to change leisure batteries even 0 info on how to properly turn the seats!

Pretty sure it is about leisure battery sockets. There is just one on a dashboard that runs from engine battery.
Was so annoyed by the manual. Like 60% of a book are red warning like "don't drink and drive" "make sure to have proper vaccination when traveling abroad"... And almost no info on california itself.
Like how to reach fuse box, how to change leisure batteries even 0 info on how to properly turn the seats!
2 Dashboard sockets on the SE both run from engine battery. One on dashboard top and one in the pull out cup holder. Anything plugged into the rear sockets doesn't even flicker on startup.

There is always a risk when the powercircuits are very shortly get underbroken.
The fridge, ect are powerd thru the inverter so i think that takes cover for things going wrong.
The sockets with a phone on a charger and other stuff cold suffer imo. but think now a days many chargers got a built in fuse.

The thing i keep an eye on is not having aircon , radio on when starting engine just to give more power to the starter

I think it does depend if you use the vehicle as a daily driver. I do, and haven't switched the radio or AirCon since I took delivery . Similarly with my previous vehicles and never had a problem starting. In fact my previous vehicles have been owned from new for 5 to 6 years and I've never had to change the engine battery.

Warning: The following comment may contain some truth. Always take a pinch of salt before reading.

This manual is full of H & S nonsense and it does not contain any useful information.

I've read in manual that when you are starting an engine everything from 12v sockets should be turned off or it may damage those accessories.
Pretty worried about turning off the fridge each time I want to start an engine...
I suppose most of cali users don't bother with that?

So which 12v socket is your fridge plugged into then?
I was under the impression it's hard wired via the charger unit and therefore isolated via the split charge relay until the alternator produces charge on engine start.

I think it's referring to stuff plugged into cigarette lighter style sockets ie phone chargers etc.

Back