Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quick summary of electrics - for a noob!

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Okay I've read the manual and just want to make sure...

1) The 12v sockets run off the leisure batteries and are fine for low wattage 12v items?
2) The Euro socket needs a Euro adaptor and is for mains powered low wattage items (such as a laptop) and runs off the leisure batteries?
3) The mains socket runs off a hook up point and can run almost anything?
4) The fridge runs off the leisure battery normally, the car battery when driving (?!) and hook up when hooked up?!

Sorry for yet another dumb post!!

1) yes
2) don't know the answer my 56 plate does not have one
3) Only up to about 10 amps otherwise the trip in the rear cupboard will trip
4)the fridge runs of the rear leisure battery i think. The leisure batteries charge when driving the cali and also charge when on hook up

I think the 12 v socket in the cab is of the van battery.

With the mains a general rule of thumb or this is how I work it out is. 1000w. == 5amp. So I only use
1 thing at a time never tripped on me my kettle is 850 w. toaster 750w. Please note this is my way of doing it

Cheers Kev!

I did a fair bit of physics/electric stuff in my degree and A levels so am generally fairly au fait with current/voltage conversions. Just don't want to blow anything up!

Are the trip fuses in the rear storage compartment fairly reliable should a supply be a bit dodgy?

And I'll try and limit my questions (!!) but can you get a mains to hook up socket converter to charge the batteries off mains should the need arise?

Very reliable circuit breakers. Any probs it will trip out safely. I made my own lead but you can buy a lead with a 13 amp plug one end and the caravan plug on the other. Most caravan shops should have them if not try tow sure.

Basic rule of thumb is everything in front of the seats runs of engine bay battery & everything behind runs off the two leisure batteries.
The weird euro socket is powered from leisure batteries via a 100w inverter. Apparently if anything is left plugged in, even if switched off, will mean the inverter is powered on & drawing power from batterys. There is a small LED to show is working.

All three batterys are charged when driving & when on hookup.

Why would the Euro Socket (Is it 9v?) need an inverter if it feeding 12v accessories?

The euro socket is an inverter it converts the 12v
From the leisure batteries to 240v but only 150w
So its only suitable for low voltage appliances like
Laptops etc
Hope this makes sense

Got the hookup lead (25m) and will get a main to hook up converter.

Last question - any very rough time for how long the fridge lasts under normal useage off the leisure batteries? I'm sure we'll be on the move a fair bit but could you spend a couple of days somewhere with no hook up and still have a working fridge?

OK but where do you but electrical's with a 240/110v Euro socket plug?

Very confusing as it looks to all sundry like a Euro 12v socket!

Sorry mate start again what year is your cali
And where is the socket that you are talking about?

Sorry I just noticed a key misspelling!

I have a 2011 (61) Cali SE 180

The question followed your reply re the Euro plug:

OK but where do you buy electrical's with a 240/110v Euro socket plug?

Also it very confusing as it looks to all sundry like a Euro 12v socket!

Calikev said:
Hi Kev,
Do you remember my request on our 1st forum for members to be able to add their vehicle details so it was easier to help answer any queries?.....we made a work round that showed under member's avatars that worked really well :cool:

:idea: Is there any chance here :?:

Chris

Will look into it mate it's a good idea

Gazellio
You will need a euro adapter that plugs into the socket you can then plug your electricals into that.
I will try and find a picture for you when I get home.

KernowLad said:
Got the hookup lead (25m) and will get a main to hook up converter.

Last question - any very rough time for how long the fridge lasts under normal useage off the leisure batteries? I'm sure we'll be on the move a fair bit but could you spend a couple of days somewhere with no hook up and still have a working fridge?
I've stayed three nights 'static' without any problem and that included using the heater as well, so you should be fine :D

Chris

california180 said:
Calikev said:
Hi Kev,
Do you remember my request on our 1st forum for members to be able to add their vehicle details so it was easier to help answer any queries?.....we made a work round that showed under member's avatars that worked really well :cool:

:idea: Is there any chance here :?:

Chris
Good idea Chris, I think it is something people will need to do manually but I will look at the setup and make an announcement on where to put it. Cheers , Martin

The fridge uses 50w at 100% but apparently only runs at 100% 30% of the time it is on (that's from the VW site!!)

So that is 4.1 amps ish?We have two 72ah batteries so... I reckon that is at least 4 days.

You can always fire the beast up for a few minutes to give it a charge if needed.

We did two weeks in the Outer Hebrides without hook-up - moving on every few days, we didn't get anywhere near flattening the batteries.

Yes it looks like that but the pins slide in and out so you can use just the 2pin diamond plug
I probably haven't explained very well. Maybe someone can help me out

THe confusion is that I thought the EUro Style Socket in the Van was of the 12v style/Variety! If it the 2 pin Diamond then I fully understand :)

Andy I have done this also. Good modification saves faffing around with euro plug.

Back