Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electrical idiot has T6 Beach with 230v and questions! :)

Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My wonderful Tenerife VW dealership doesn't know what my T6 Beach can do with the 230v plug that doesn't have a second better & set up like the California Coast & Ocean. No one gets the Beach with the 230v plug in the Islands as most "free camp" here ... but we travel around Europe campsites & a few here ... however

~ The manual mentioned nothing about the 230v in my case. Is there a manual on the internet that will explain?

~ They know I can use the 230v plug when it is plugged into an external power source, but are there electrical devices it can't handle (for example, ones that need a surge of power to start ... microwave, blender, etc.)

~ Does the 230v plug work when it isn't plugged into an external power source .... it runs off the power of the battery when the engine isn't running? .... it runs off the power of the engine when the motor is running?

~ Anything else obvious that I should know?

GRATEFUL for any help!!

Seems not much T6 beach owners to help so far.
I can't garanty 100% but on the SE with a 220v inverter there is one specific socket witch can take heavyer electric gear to 2500w If on hook- up.
Not on hook- up it only goes to 150w as it wil run on the lesure battery .

Guess you have to get exact details from Beach owners

Last edited:
I have attached some pics of the relevant pages from my manual regarding power outlets on the Cali. Please be aware some info is for the Ocean and some for the beach. I cannot find anyway to download a manual from VW as yet.
The beach doesn't have an inverter so no power from the 230v outlet if you aren't on hook up.
Think all your Q's will be answered by the manual but if you need anymore info shout up.
cc99fab8bfc956a590d32092b5f2a67d.jpg
3ee1a049a36c4de8b8638e15d2faa45c.jpg
4cb83bfbcbe7127bf90668d8bbee8e8c.jpg
cad32d9aeaba629fffe6828b8ae936f6.jpg
627fc2c51a591e221b9767830f2acf33.jpg
d111d31c7f6d6ea9f6236463fa82dfea.jpg
af83f0e938ad473c1098b23ccdc43c4c.jpg
8b8138047b34cbe5024d435fed72f3b2.jpg
e0e206d01f910294a48f3f7f80b28456.jpg

Sorry for the orientations of the pics I took all in portrait and between my phone and Tapatalk this has occurred. Hope you don't get a sore neck!

Seems not much T6 beach owners to help so far.
I can't garanty 100% but on the SE with a 220v inverter there is one specific socket witch can take heavyer electric gear to 1000w If on hook- up.
Not on hook- up it only goes to 150w as it wil run on the lesure battery .

Guess you have to get exact details from Beach owners

hotel california, that song came on as i was finishing up the velcroing of all the windows & doorways that I have insect screens for - I needed that song as I spent way too many hours doing it! -thanks for your help with 230v

I have attached some pics of the relevant pages from my manual regarding power outlets on the Cali. Please be aware some info is for the Ocean and some for the beach. I cannot find anyway to download a manual from VW as yet.
The beach doesn't have an inverter so no power from the 230v outlet if you aren't on hook up.
Think all your Q's will be answered by the manual but if you need anymore info shout up. TE]
------
Yorkdubshore, Thank you sooooooooo much for getting me that manual information!!! I really appreciate the time it took to copy those pages and post them on the forum!! You have won a trip to Tenerife! :) The manual of the Canary Islands has NONE of that information! :( Now it is time go play with the electrical socket!! THANK YOU again!!

Yes, it appears that I can use up to 2500Watts of juice on the 230V outlet IF it is hooked up, not otherwise.

Yes, it appears that I can use up to 2500Watts of juice on the 230V outlet IF it is hooked up, not otherwise.
It will depend on the Campsite electrical system. In order to run 2500watts you will require a Camp site system of more than 10 amps. Many campsites can be less than this.

Some provide only 6 amps....that 2500w heater will blow the hook-up's fuse leaving you without electr. until the reception goes back open .....

Yorkdubshore, Thank you sooooooooo much for getting me that manual information!!! I really appreciate the time it took to copy those pages and post them on the forum!! You have won a trip to Tenerife! :) The manual of the Canary Islands has NONE of that information! :( Now it is time go play with the electrical socket!! THANK YOU again!!
No problem, Canary Bird just wished they had A, posted up in portrait and B, were a bit better quality but limited by my phone cameras ability. Can't believe that your manual doesn't have any of this info in how is anyone supposed to know how to carry on without it?
It will depend on the Campsite electrical system. In order to run 2500watts you will require a Camp site system of more than 10 amps. Many campsites can be less than this.
as Welshgas has said you will have to note the limitation of the hook up supply you are given. From what I have seen they are usually 6, 10 or 16 Amp (open to correction). However even if on 16 amp you are limited by the RCD to 13 amp but if you are going to use an awning you could use a 'y' splitter before it connects to your van and then take another cable into your awning connected to a 3 pin socket outlet to utilise full capacity.
I'm going to make a 'y' splitter up tomorrow so I can post a pic of what I mean if you want?
Just give a nudge if you want anymore info and I'm sure someone will be of assistance! :thumb

Hi canary bird I have attached a pic of the info from the back of my owners manual including part number. It might help you source one from your dealer (free of charge of course ).
e68e2f693ff9c38fee8cb4869c93b2c3.jpg

My 2015 T5 Beach have 230v plug.... I guess in T6 it's same thing.

The Beach T5 has no inverter, so the inner 230v socket only works when the van is plugged. To me the main feature is the battery charger. I like to plug mi Cali once a month to charge batteries. By doing that you will incfement the batteries life span because the charger will produce slow charge.

Of course when in a camp site with hook up I plug it because my fridge (Engel MTF45) will use this power instead of the battery one. Also allow my half use hairdryer and that kind of stuffs.

Don't know the power limit you can plug inside.

My 2015 T5 Beach have 230v plug.... I guess in T6 it's same thing.

The Beach T5 has no inverter, so the inner 230v socket only works when the van is plugged. To me the main feature is the battery charger. I like to plug mi Cali once a month to charge batteries. By doing that you will incfement the batteries life span because the charger will produce slow charge.

Of course when in a camp site with hook up I plug it because my fridge (Engel MTF45) will use this power instead of the battery one. Also allow my half use hairdryer and that kind of stuffs.

Don't know the power limit you can plug inside.
It depend on the Current capacity of the Campsite mains supply.

Approximately 230 X Campsite supply ( 6,8,10 or 12 amps ) = watts

Just wanted to mention that I rarely saw higher than 10A camping hookup :) So need to learn to switch accessories accordingly. Had a rough night at one camping with 3-4A hookup trying to heat up the tent in Norway :)

'Y' splitter, one socket to van and one into awning.
5cb0872550c9066df0998c659f6d3001.jpg

We use them in our 'server destruction lab' to fool a server into thinking it has two individual power supplies while it is being tested. Normally have 32amp plugs and sockets on.

Last edited:
Under EU electrical regs single phase voltage can drop to 200v. Nominal voltage throughout the EU is 220v.
The lower the voltage the higher the amps so breakers may trip out sooner than expected.

th
Hi canary bird I have attached a pic of the info from the back of my owners manual including part number. It might help you source one from your dealer (free of charge of course ).
e68e2f693ff9c38fee8cb4869c93b2c3.jpg
thanks .... I will see what I can get, but not too hopeful. I am going to the dealer today, as they forgot to put the rubber or plastic seal back around interior back side windows when they added a darkening laminate on windows.

I will see if I can find those parts to make one .... or did you use the cable that came with the van? I think you have a product to trademark and a new micro-business venture! :)

You cant pull any more amps than the campsite supply gives you.
So if the campsite supply is only 6 amps, that's all you will get.

Back