Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quick summary of electrics - for a noob!

Does any Euro plug adaptor work? Any preference on the one above or the one off the other website (with two USB sockets)? Really ought to have one!

Not sure if you still need the answer to this, but no, you need something with a plug like the lozenge on the adaptor on the mobile fun site. I haven't tried this model but from the images on the site it looks like it has a good chance of fitting.

If you buy a low power consumption device such as a laptop charger in continental Europe it will most likely come with a lozenge plug. A lot of my colleagues used to buy an extra lead for their chargers with this sort of plug on them for use when travelling. If you just want to charge your PC when you're not hooked up this could be an option. Some phone chargers also come with a selection of plugs as part of the package one of which will be a Euro Plug

KernowLad said:
Got the hookup lead (25m) and will get a main to hook up converter.

Last question - any very rough time for how long the fridge lasts under normal useage off the leisure batteries? I'm sure we'll be on the move a fair bit but could you spend a couple of days somewhere with no hook up and still have a working fridge?

I regularly park up in a campsite without hookup on a Friday evening and do not start the engine again until Sunday lunchtime. The fridge will be on all that time as well as use of the interior lights and depending on time of year the heater. The battery indicator very rarely shows below 70% after this so I assume you would get possibly another couple of nights out of it before needing to run the engine to recharge.

Cheers all!

I notice Campervantastic (!) do two Euro plugs - one with two USB chargers, one without. I guess these work pretty well too?

About 5 days is ok, then if staying put longer run the engine for an hour a day and you will hold batteries steady as they were after the 5 days !

Sorry to be thick re the inverter can I run. 470 watt Czech Remoska Cooker off the 3 pin plug
1. When the engine is running
2. When the engine isn't running
3. When attached to the mains hook up,
Or do I have to put the lead from the Remoska pan out of the window and attachable to amazing power supply.

Collecting new 180 DSG his week

Hi in answer to your question. The inverter will not cope with 470 watts with the engine running or without.
You will be able to use the normal 3 pin socket on the end of the sink unit if you are on hook up to run the ramoska.
I hope this helps.

What about a 120 watt slow cooker?

Picking up new 180 DSG this week!

The inverter is rated at 150 but that said. If you used something
That powerfull it would soon flatten the battery. Like john said 75 watts would be the max i would ever use
Just use it for low power items like laptops and phones

Yeah but if you're on hook up it would be fine though wouldn't it?

Freeley said:
Yeah but if you're on hook up it would be fine though wouldn't it?
John I think freeley meant if you were on hook up you would just use the normal electric socket on the end of the sink. :thumb bloody confusing though :rofl

It's an extra socket at the end of the day isn't it? So why not use it when you're on hook up?

Yes always a good idea, saves having to constantly unplug stuff. We used a 2 way adaptor last year, can't seem to find it now though.

We got our 2008 California a couple of weeks ago, and are not quite sure how things work.

Drove 100+ miles, camped one night without hook-up, had the fridge on a bit, and the heater on for about 20 mins - result, flat vehicle battery and we needed a jump start. Must be doing something wrong.

Also, opening the bonnet to attach the jump leads to the battery set off the alarm. Aaagh!

I think we need to read through the handbook carefully before trying anything. Is there any other (eg online) guidance available?

Hi there and welcome along
The fridge and heater on your Cali should run off the leisure battery's so unless you left the lights on all night you have a problem with the van battery. driving 100 miles should have charged it enough. We're there any light on to warn you the alternator was not charging if not I would get the van battery checked out and replaced if needed.

Kalikev, Thanks for this. Although a 2008 reg, the van had only done 8000 miles when we got it, so had probably been standing around unused quite a bit. Also, when we first looked at it at Bilbo's, it needed a jump start before we could test drive it. We made the case to Bilbo's, who immediately offered to refund us the cost of a new battery. Since then, no problem.

Back