Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

price of camping on the up

Recently back from NC500, some campsite owners are thinking of installing pay as you use meters at pitches

Brilliant, I hope they all start doing it.
We only use electricity for the hairdryer and straighteners in the morning …:headbang

Hot water, and the cost of heating shower blocks must concern site owners. I just hope that UK sites don’t go down the Irish route of tokens for showers.
Go in with the wife and have two for the price of one!

Or metered.

I stopped at a site last summer, metered electricity. No problem: if you don't use any then you don't pay.
I once paid a meter on a site and after 3days I had used 87p. So just shows what a rip off hook up is. The big whites with their telly and oven use the most.

Just booked Premier Inn in Poole for £49 per night, cheaper than camping, I know its not same experience but a hotel has bigger overheads than a campsite

I just looked to book Camping in the Forest at Hollands Wood for 4 nights at Spring Bank. It was £200 for 4 night for 2 adults and 2 kids in Cali. That seems quite a lot. Enough to make me think about it.

I just looked to book Camping in the Forest at Hollands Wood for 4 nights at Spring Bank. It was £200 for 4 night for 2 adults and 2 kids in Cali. That seems quite a lot. Enough to make me think about it.

The hotel Ben found sounds more appealing…

As much as we love our Cali we have found ourselves doing more hotels and Airbnb’s now as the price is getting so close to camping , when we first purchased our Cali a weekend away was nearly as cheap as staying at home so we went away most weekends. Even campsites with no facilities are now charging around £30 per night whereas a few years ago it would of been about £12

As much as we love our Cali we have found ourselves doing more hotels and Airbnb’s now as the price is getting so close to camping , when we first purchased our Cali a weekend away was nearly as cheap as staying at home so we went away most weekends. Even campsites with no facilities are now charging around £30 per night whereas a few years ago it would of been about £12
Still plenty of basic cheap sites out there, if you avoid bank holiday weekends.
Always manage to stay for £10-£18

No facilities and £30 a night.

:headbang

Don't know what we did did right then. 12 night in the northern lakes, full facilities with ehu £20/night in 10 days time. Also right on the coast with great mountain views

There are still cheap sites

There are still cheap sites

That’s fine if you want to go to nondescript Retford. It has to be one of the most uninteresting places one could visit.
The campsites fine, but £24 for a poop and shower…?
You may as well park in a lay-by somewhere and find a local swimming pool and do the same whilst having a swim for about £5.

I’m gonna be honest, time is precious and I’m not wasting it driving to Retford just so I can camp on a cheap site…

That’s fine if you want to go to nondescript Retford. It has to be one of the most uninteresting places one could visit.
You may as well park in a lay-by somewhere and find a local swimming pool and do the same whilst having a swim for about £5.

I’m gonna be honest, time is precious and I’m not wasting it driving to Retford just so I can camp on a cheap site…
Campsite at glenridding only ever charge me £10 that’s with hookup too (low season), now that’s worth a drive:thumb

Currently camping in an AONB, EHU, lovely facilities block, pub next door. 5 minutes away from a great city centre, superb cycling as you go out of the gate .... £18..

Why bother with EHU in a California? I get 3 days battery use and then just run the engine for 15 minutes to recharge up to 90%.

Why bother with EHU in a California? I get 3 days battery use and then just run the engine for 15 minutes to recharge up to 90%.
Charge my bike battery, power my Remoska, use my electric kettle, heat my camper.

That’d be the only time they let you in that swimming pool.

Push bike, gas BBQ, hob kettle, diesel heater

Yes. Have those as well. so what?

The joy of a camper is the sheer flexibility so depending on the nature of my trip I take along what suits me best. Things like gas BBQ's are not particularly useful when temperatures are near or below freezing and as I camp all year round I often experience that.

Yes. Have those as well. so what?

The joy of a camper is the sheer flexibility so depending on the nature of my trip I take along what suits me best. Things like gas BBQ's are not particularly useful when temperatures are near or below freezing and as I camp all year round I often experience that.
I dare say you have but the OP states campsite fees to increase due to energy price rises and one way to deal with this is by not using their electricity or by using sites with no hookup. We use a site in Dorset with no hookup and limited services for £8 pppn. Just expressing my opinion as you have 9612 times.

I dare say you have but the OP states campsite fees to increase due to energy price rises and one way to deal with this is by not using their electricity or by using sites with no hookup. We use a site in Dorset with no hookup and limited services for £8 pppn. Just expressing my opinion as you have 9612 times.

I'm on a club site. I'm using it because it is totally central too where I want to be. I quite agree with you, if the price is too high then perhaps find somewhere cheaper with fewer facilities

I gave you examples of why sometimes it is useful to me to have EHU as you asked the question. I am not stating an opinion. More than half of my camping is off grid where I pay nowt. I have no opinion either way on what someone else should do. That is their choice.

Last edited:

It was just a light hearted example. I’m not sure why this thread has become so serious/grumpy.