Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

price of camping on the up

It was just a light hearted example. I’m not sure why this thread has become so serious/grumpy.

Never mind about being grumpy. You've now made me want to go to Retford :D

Just had a look, a very nice pub called the hop pole, on the Canal, big level car park that they will probably allow me to overnight in and I could cycle the canal before heading off to Clumber park.

Last edited:
I'm on a club site. I'm using it because it is totally central too where I want to be.

I'm not sure what your opinion is. I gave you examples of why sometimes it is useful to me to have EHU as you asked the question. I am not stating an opinion. More than half of my camping is off grid where I pay nowt. I have no opinion either way on what someone else should do. That is their choice.
Fair enough. I’m not looking for a row but a bit of healthy debate is good for the soul.

Never mind about being grumpy. You've now made me want to go to Retford :D

Just had a look, a very nice pub called the hop pole, on the Canal, big level car park that they will probably allow me to overnight in and I could cycle the canal before heading off to Clumber park.

I thought I would look up Retford on Wikipedia, I did have a chuckle at this:

The Chesterfield Canal hit international headlines in 1978. While dredging the bottom of the canal to remove rubbish a maintenance team pulled up a large chain which had a wooden plug attached to it. Later that day it was noticed that a whirlpool had formed and it became evident that the section of the canal between Whitsunday Pie Lock and Retford Town Lock was losing water. Unbeknown to the workmen, but commonly known locally, the plug was an original engineering feature of the canal to allow sections to be drained for future maintenance. The water drained (as designed) harmlessly into the nearby river Idle.

I thought I would look up Retford on Wikipedia, I did have a chuckle at this:

The Chesterfield Canal hit international headlines in 1978. While dredging the bottom of the canal to remove rubbish a maintenance team pulled up a large chain which had a wooden plug attached to it. Later that day it was noticed that a whirlpool had formed and it became evident that the section of the canal between Whitsunday Pie Lock and Retford Town Lock was losing water. Unbeknown to the workmen, but commonly known locally, the plug was an original engineering feature of the canal to allow sections to be drained for future maintenance. The water drained (as designed) harmlessly into the nearby river Idle.

Retford clearly has a lot of hidden secrets :shocked

I'm now more determined to go. Perhaps I can organise a club meet in that big pub car park I spotted. We could do it every year, a sort of Retford reunion.

Retford clearly has a lot of hidden secrets :shocked

I'm now more determined to go. Perhaps I can organise a club meet in that big pub car park I spotted. We could do it every year, a sort of Retford reunion.
I think a club meet could be the most exciting thing to happen there since the plug incident in '78, it might even warrant a Wiki entry.
I presume it would be cheap as well.

Currently camping in an AONB, EHU, lovely facilities block, pub next door. 5 minutes away from a great city centre, superb cycling as you go out of the gate .... £18..
Where are you please GJ?

Where are you please GJ?

Emsworth CC@C. Right on Chichester Harbour AONB and for me, as an historian, the epicentre of late Saxon history for it is here that Harold Godwinson had his military HQ.

Part one of 61 parts of a project to tour on foot and on bicycle every single National park and AONB, posting pics and narratives on my website and making video's to show to my lard-arse family who are always complaining that this country is too crowded, as they struggle to find a parking space near Tesco's 0.8 miles from where they live.

I think a club meet could be the most exciting thing to happen there since the plug incident in '78, it might even warrant a Wiki entry.
I presume it would be cheap as well.

When I go. (note: it's now not IF but WHEN) I will ask the pub landlord if I can overnight and if they prove to be agreeable folk then I would propose that they could have up to thirty punters for a night in return for a free stopover.

This could prompt Retford to be included as a must see tourist spot. We could ask grumpy old @soulstyledevon to pop along and unveil the tourism plaque :D

Wow this thread is certainly one big plug for Retford .... (better go hide now ..)

Wow this thread is certainly one big plug for Retford .... (better go hide now ..)

The cats out the bag.
Retford will booked all summer…

Mr Cheese sandwich is quite entertaining, might have to give him a follow:)

I've had a few good sessions in retford

Why bother with EHU in a California? I get 3 days battery use and then just run the engine for 15 minutes to recharge up to 90%.
Definitely can't charge a fully (or even 50% depleted) leisure battery in 15mins. That would take more than 320amps continuous, which would blow the 80A fuse if it was possible, in practice the battery wouldn't absorb that much anyway. It just says 90% after because it hasn't relaxed back and the % meter is a bit wierd. Have you tried to do another 3 days after that 15min charge, i bet you would get alot less than 1 before you were back before you started. I found about 45 mins engine run time per day seems to keep you close to topped up you might get away with a bit less if you really flatten the battery out first.