Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problems fitting T6 Towbar

Stuarty

Stuarty

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing OK. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I’m having with my T6 VW factory fitted detachable towbar please? I haven’t really fitted it that much, maybe 20 times, but recently I’ve had difficulty getting it to latch into the socket on the Cali. When I insert it, the knob won’t rotate fully back to the green safe position so I am able to lock it and use it.

I’ve tried lubricating it, but still no luck. It seems to be that the single pin that releases the locking mechanism isn’t getting pushed in far enough. If I push it in using a pair of pliers, it releases OK, but it does take a little bit of effort.

Has anyone else had a similar issue, and come across a solution please?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when you remove it to store away do you leave the key in place, I know the key officially is only removable when the tow ball is snapped into place, To do this ,let me explain how, rotate the knob but not fully but just enough to allow the tow ball to come out of it’s receiver socket, as you remove it the knob will return back to it locked state,The spring is not compressed when stored without the key
when ever I do used car checks on vehicles that have had there detachable bar not used much They are always like yours and sticking,
absolutely soak the pin/ball/and in the key hole with lube, WD40 type of thing,it will free up
most importantly make sure the receiver part of the tow bar has no surface rust on it, Otherwise this stops the the ball fully Locating home and the knob will not spin around to show the green segment,you can lube the receiver part as well.
It will be rust stopping the ball going fully home,
hope this helps.

If yours is like the one in the poor photo, make sure the wedges (circled in red) are VERY clean, you can sand them down so they are, do the same on the V’s on the receiver part, Then coat them with a little grease,

D195C236-2F3B-4EA7-9C97-42FDBAD0014A.jpeg

Thanks for your help v-tec. There was a tiny bit of corrosion on the ‘V’s on the socket on the van. A quick rub with a file and a grease and its working perfectly now!!

Many thanks! :)

Thanks for your help v-tec. There was a tiny bit of corrosion on the ‘V’s on the socket on the van. A quick rub with a file and a grease and its working perfectly now!!

Many thanks! :)
Excellent stuff :bananadance2